Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Closer to home , we had the Severn Railway Bridge Collapse in 1960.

Who knew there was a bridge , before the road bridge(s).........? , ironically a fair bit of money had been spent on it , in advance of some serious Severn Tunnel works , - all to no avail ,and there were fatalities.

Closer to home , we had the Severn Railway Bridge Collapse in 1960.

Who knew there was a bridge , before the road bridge(s).........? , ironically a fair bit of money had been spent on it , in advance of some serious Severn Tunnel works , - all to no avail ,and there were fatalities.
That was a single-track bridge so never a busy route, and quite far upstream from the road bridges so not as long or high (larger ships not passing that far). I think it could have been repaired, but in the era of Beeching it was probably doomed anyway.

Does she do this with every news story?

"While the eruption of the Icelandic volcano appears to be a natural event, not something caused by evildoers dynamiting underground chambers, America has volcanoes too and there have been concerns raised about potential foul play by people coming over the wide open border..."

That's not what happened. The collision/collapse were pretty much at the same time.

Looks like there were amazingly few vehicles on the bridge even compared with just before the collision.

Although weirdly, an ad keeps popping up in my social media, ads in YouTube videos, for a device to break windows in the event your vehicle is submerged in water. Apparently, more modern cars/vehicles have safety glass that is hard to smash in collisions. The downside of that is that, if a vehicle goes off the road and ends up submerged in water, it means it's virtually impossible to smash front or rear windscreen or side windows. And given that most vehicles are now electric, it's not possible to wind windows down either. So the ads are for a device that will smash windscreen and also cut through seatbelt.

But that potentially explains why anyone who was in a vehicle on the bridge might not have survived, ie perhaps because they couldn't break windscreens or open the windows. Although of course they might have been unconscious and unaware (one hopes). 😥

6 construction workers feared dead

Here's some high-quality footage of the ship and collapsed bridge from the NTSB:

It really does give you an impression of the scale of this disaster :(

That was a single-track bridge so never a busy route, and quite far upstream from the road bridges so not as long or high (larger ships not passing that far). I think it could have been repaired, but in the era of Beeching it was probably doomed anyway.
Agreed on all counts but intrigued by the coastal barges involved-oil shipments from Swansea to Worcester

Baltimore throws up huge logistical challenges for freight involving rail and sea

Looks like there were amazingly few vehicles on the bridge even compared with just before the collision.

Although weirdly, an ad keeps popping up in my social media, ads in YouTube videos, for a device to break windows in the event your vehicle is submerged in water. Apparently, more modern cars/vehicles have safety glass that is hard to smash in collisions. The downside of that is that, if a vehicle goes off the road and ends up submerged in water, it means it's virtually impossible to smash front or rear windscreen or side windows. And given that most vehicles are now electric, it's not possible to wind windows down either. So the ads are for a device that will smash windscreen and also cut through seatbelt.

But that potentially explains why anyone who was in a vehicle on the bridge might not have survived, ie perhaps because they couldn't break windscreens or open the windows. Although of course they might have been unconscious and unaware (one hopes). 😥

If it were me, I think I'd rather that the fall killed me instantly than drown in the river.

Back
Top Bottom