Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ireland ‘one of world’s best five places’ to survive global societal collapse

Did you drink in the Vic?

Drink in it? We lived in it!

We started off in a flat above a TV shop (now a firm of solicitors) right opposite the Vic, it was a right dive at the time, but friendly, and you could get away with smoking spliffs in the back room.

I was shocked to see how nice it is now, having expanded into a second house, and installed a decking beer garden out back, with a great view of the sea.

It was the best bar when I was there, it was the only spot in the town I liked. Haven’t been back to tramore in 19 years. It’ll probably be another 19 before I do.

Not to mention that Ireland is a pretty shit place to live for a lot of people under the age of 40, who have no secure housing and a clear lack of job opportunities. Classic Irish Times article.

I assume the UK is on there because the government's happy to throw people under a bus for money and the climate here will avoid the worst of the heat because we're on an island
I think it was our response to the Kentucky Fried Chicken shortage that set the benchmark.

Not to mention that Ireland is a pretty shit place to live for a lot of people under the age of 40, who have no secure housing and a clear lack of job opportunities. Classic Irish Times article.

This is true. Certainly in Dublin. It's nigh on impossible to afford to have a mortgage and rents are ludicrous.

Yes. People have been leaving Ireland for every generation ... just to get jobs. Sometimes they return. More often than not they dont.
The state doesn’t make it easy to return. We’ve started the process but unless we can get work before we move back it’s a pretty hard move. No access to dole, no renting record that counts, qualifications that aren’t recognised means that our meagre savings will be gone in 2 to 3 months. And I’m a citizen and it’s meant to be easy. Everyone I know that moved back either transferred through work or left again within six months. Once you’ve left, a certain section of the establishment wants you to stay gone.

The state doesn’t make it easy to return. We’ve started the process but unless we can get work before we move back it’s a pretty hard move. No access to dole, no renting record that counts, qualifications that aren’t recognised means that our meagre savings will be gone in 2 to 3 months. And I’m a citizen and it’s meant to be easy. Everyone I know that moved back either transferred through work or left again within six months. Once you’ve left, a certain section of the establishment wants you to stay gone.

Very sorry to read this.
I hope you will make it back here.

And still back home, pious talk of the diaspora, wonder are candles still lit in the Phoenix Park residence to show "solidarity" with the lost generations?

Those melancholy men of a certain age, who nursed their pints in Hammersmith, Kilburn, Acton etc. Took years to realise their stories of why they couldn't or wouldn't come "home". The promise of a hundred thousand welcomes rings somewhat hollow.

Sorry. Maudlin. Hope it works out for you. Quite a big step!

Back
Top Bottom