Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup 2018

Congrats to the ITV design team who've excelled themselves in producing their most eye-wateringly gaudy set ever. It's really impressive how they manage to outdo the BBC every time for WTF-ness.

I'm not enjoying these flashy video advertising boards on the side of the pitch. Especially the one with the animated car. This is a most unwelcome distraction.
They're my absolute no.1 pet hate in modern football. These ones are not as bad as the ones in the EPL, which make games almost unwatchable with their flashing graphics. It's extremely rude. :(

Already qualified: Russia, Uruguay
Already eliminated: Egypt, Morocco, Saudi Arabia

GROUP A
- Russia are through and will top the group if they avoid defeat vs. Uruguay
- Uruguay are through but must beat hosts Russia to top the group
- Egypt and Saudi Arabia have been eliminated

GROUP B
- Spain need at least a point against Morocco to definitely qualify. Would go through with a one-goal defeat if Portugal-Iran is a draw; or if they lose and Portugal lose too but by a greater margin
- Portugal need at least point to definitely qualify but are out if they lose
- Spain and Portugal have identical records so the team with the better result will finish top (as long as both do not lose)
- Iran must beat Portugal to qualify, and could finish top if Spain lose
- Morocco have been eliminated

GROUP C
- France are through if they win and Australia draw or lose
- Denmark are through if they win and Peru draw or lose
- Australia are out if they lose and France draw or win
- Peru are out if they lose and Denmark draw or win

GROUP D
- Croatia qualify if they beat Argentina
- Nigeria are out if they lose to Iceland

GROUP E
- Serbia qualify if they beat Switzerland
- Costa Rica are out if they lose to Brazil

GROUP F
- Sweden are through if they win and South Korea draw or lose
- Mexico are through if they win and Germany draw or lose
- South Korea are out if they lose and Sweden draw or win
- Germany are out if they lose and Mexico draw or win

GROUP G
- Belgium are through if they win and Panama draw or lose
- England are through if they win and Tunisia draw or lose
- Panama are out if they lose and Belgium draw or win
- Tunisia are out if they lose and England draw or win

GROUP H
- Japan are through if they win and Poland-Colombia is a draw
- Senegal are through if they win and Poland-Colombia is a draw
- Poland are eliminated if they lose and Japan-Senegal is a draw
- Colombia are eliminated if they lose and Japan-Senegal is a draw

TIEBREAKERS
If two or more teams are level on points, they are separated using this tiebreaker system

1) Goal difference
2) Goals scored
3) Head-to-head points
4) Head-to-head goal difference
5) Head-to-head goals scored
6) Fair play points
7) Drawing of lots

Last edited:
enjoying this world cup so far. quite unpredictable and some entertaining games. Some of the supposedly weaker teams have played very well - iceland, iran, Australia look tough. morocco and peru gave their opponents a tough time despite losing. All the favourites have either been beaten or look beatable. Mexico and Croatia vying for the dark horse award. England aren't dismal and are even likeable. The only really shit teams have been saudi arabia, nigeria and ... Argentina! Some great goals - and some sublimely comic ones. The russian police aren't beating people up and no sign of russian fascists on the rampage (or is that the same thing?)
Been working late the past week and im really enjoying coming home and watching the highlights without knowing the scores.

Last edited:
enjoying this world cup so far. quite unpredictable and some entertaining games. Some of the supposedly weaker teams have played very well - iceland, iran, Australia look tough. morocco and peru gave their opponents a tough time despite losing. All the favourites have either been beaten or look beatable. Mexico and Croatia vying for the dark horse award. England aren't dismal and are even likeable. The only really shit teams have been saudi arabia, nigeria and ... Argentina! Some great goals - and some sublimely comic ones. The russian police aren't beating people up and no sign of russian fascists on the rampage (or is that the same thing?)
Been working late the past week and im really enjoying coming home and watching the highlights without knowing the scores.

Spot on. its been great so far*, I look forward to every day. In the pub yesterday I turfed some guy out of his spot because he was in the way of the table football. He started moaning a bit about football and I pointed out everything is about football for a couple of weeks. In a weak voice he replied, "Yes, but I'm Italian" and sulked off.

* Argentina, ha

Halfway through the group stage now. Who has stood out? Pretty much only Russia so far. France & Croatia may have six points apiece, but have hardly been amazing. All very open still.

Reserving judgement until all teams have played 2 games.

Ok, reserving judgement until England play their 2nd game.

Russia look up for it but they've yet to face a decent team, Croatia are my pick thus far.

Back
Top Bottom