Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup 2018

The word soccer has its origins in late 19th-century Britain (a shortened version of Association Football) and is not an Americanism, as many believe.
I'd be fine if people made the distinction between association football and American football (although would be better if it didn't reference a nation, so more like field hockey and ice hockey), but what annoys me is the people who call association football "soccer" generally call American football "football", and I'll be damned if association football, which came first and is played primarily with your feet, is going to be the one that doesn't get to be called "football" :mad:

...what annoys me is the people who call association football "soccer" generally call American football "football", and I'll be damned if association football, which came first and is played primarily with your feet, is going to be the one that doesn't get to be called "football" :mad:

That's pretty much my opinion too on the use of the word 'football' to describe American Football which is largely played with hands anyway. Doesn't even make sense.

That said, people who get all uppety about the word 'soccer' are mostly dickheads. It's just another word you twats. Everyone knows its called 'football' too. And 'Soccer AM' or 'Soccer School' etc sounds better. Get over it.

The word soccer has its origins in late 19th-century Britain (a shortened version of Association Football) and is not an Americanism, as many believe.
Yep. And its association with the US dates from the 1970s. Before then, it was much more common for us to call football soccer than it is now.

aN13Dvw_460s.jpg

Stand out games coming up next week.

Monday 25th Iran v Portugal 7pm. Iran could knock out Portugal.
Tuesday 26th Nigeria v Argentina 7pm. Nigeria could knock out Argentina.
Wednesday 27th Serbia v Brazil 7pm. Serbia could knock out Brazil.
Thursday 28th Belgium v England 7pm. Belgium could embarrass England.

Right. So 0/3. So far.......:hmm:

Best team in the world cup so far?

Spurs!
Really happy for Son.
Hmmm good point! So, Citeh have the most players at the tournament, but Spurs (presumably) have the most goals. We need somebody to work this out. Paging Badgers, paging badgers...

Hmmm good point! So, Citeh have the most players at the tournament, but Spurs (presumably) have the most goals. We need somebody to work this out. Paging Badgers, paging badgers...
This was yesterday

Most goals by clubs at the World Cup so far...

8 - Real Madrid
7 - Tottenham Hotspur
5 - Atletico Madrid
5 - Man United
5 - Barcelona
3 - Chelsea
3 - Man City
3 - PSG
3 - Villarreal
2 - Liverpool
1 - Arsenal

Will update later today

This was yesterday

Most goals by clubs at the World Cup so far...

8 - Real Madrid
7 - Tottenham Hotspur
5 - Atletico Madrid
5 - Man United
5 - Barcelona
3 - Chelsea
3 - Man City
3 - PSG
3 - Villarreal
2 - Liverpool
1 - Arsenal

Will update later today
:thumbs:

The most parochial and important stat from the whole World Cup: United 5 Citeh 3 :cool:

I've just seen this stat: "Portugal is the only current international title-holder to advance from the World Cup Group Phase. The last time less than two Champions went through the first round was way back in 1966"

1966? It's coming home, lads :thumbs:

2010 - Pep wins title in Spain with Barca - Spain win WC
2014 - Pep wins title in Germany with Bayern - Germany win WC
2018 - Pep wins title in England with Man City....

;)

They'll release an "It's home" song, I'm sure.
Oh, you heard it here first. Thanks. :( Hopefully Rage Against the Machine will be on standby to foil this unpleasant outcome. To be honest, in the 90th minute of the final and Harry Kane is ready to take the penalty that will win it, somebody needs to whisper in his ear. 'Just think about what you are unleashing'.

Oh, you heard it here first. Thanks. :( Hopefully Rage Against the Machine will be on standby to foil this unpleasant outcome. To be honest, in the 90th minute of the final and Harry Kane is ready to take the penalty that will win it, somebody needs to whisper in his ear. 'Just think about what you are unleashing'.
coming_home.jpg

Back
Top Bottom