Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup 2018

I see the World Cup 2026 hosting has been awarded to USA, Canada and Mexico. Twice the Yanks will have had it since it's been here and three times for Mexico (admittedly one of those was a late favour, but still). I'd just once like to see a WC in the UK.

I can't believe Germany aren't bringing Sané... Makes no sense
Was my immediate though too, but when you look at the squad Löw has chosen, Sané's individual running style really doesn't fit. I think more than ever, the Germans will be ultra disciplined at sticking to their game plane. Sané, as talented as he is, has never gelled into the team and if anything, knock's the machine out of shape.

Harry Kane as captain :hmm:
Personally I think captains should be midfielders or even defenders... Your job is to shout Come on Lads when you're losing and someone in the middle of the field is better placed to do that. Also Harry's voice isn't the most commanding <<<Top punditry

Was my immediate though too, but when you look at the squad Löw has chosen, Sané's individual running style really doesn't fit. I think more than ever, the Germans will be ultra disciplined at sticking to their game plane. Sané, as talented as he is, has never gelled into the team and if anything, knock's the machine out of shape.

I find that find too logical, but even if true he would make a killer game saving super sub

I see the World Cup 2026 hosting has been awarded to USA, Canada and Mexico. Twice the Yanks will have had it since it's been here and three times for Mexico (admittedly one of those was a late favour, but still). I'd just once like to see a WC in the UK.
Me too :)

Hopefully by then Trump will be long gone and the international relationships will be a little easier :D

so who is salivating over the prospect of Russia vs Saudi Arabia in the unofficial "shitty, murderous, regime cup"? No - me neither. Definitely a "can they both lose please?" affair.

so who is salivating over the prospect of Russia vs Saudi Arabia in the unofficial "shitty, murderous, regime cup"? No - me neither. Definitely a "can they both lose please?" affair.

It looks like a real doozy doesn't it?

I don't know anything about the Saudi team, is it just a flag of convenience for African players like some other Arab teams? The first game of the WC is usually a drab and dull affair, you never know what with both teams being shite it may make for a open and interesting game...

I don't know anything about the Saudi team, is it just a flag of convenience for African players like some other Arab teams?
They are overwhelmingly 'proper' Saudi's. I think this is the only time they have sent a squad not all of whom play for a Saudi team. In fact the only team to come entirely from their home league is England.

has there been a downturn this time in world cup related tat from brands, y'know coca cola yo yos and sponsored ales etc

I haven't noticed anything of that sort

Very much so, I think its in general keeping with the low key affair thing.

I think a tournament in Russia was never going to get the fans that excited (most previous European World Cups would see fans travelling just to be around the atmosphere and little prospect of seeing the games live). Its also the low expectations people have of the England team plus no other home nations there. Also though I just think people are sick of the hype.

Back
Top Bottom