Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Workfare steward the Jubilee

ah everyone is missing the point................the company in question "CPUK" makes little or no profit from security operations, its sister company however makes millions.............out of TRAINING!. in order to draw on certain 'funding pots' eligible companies must train and be able to employ or offer the chance of employment to their clients.......for the spectator safety level2 award each candidate is 'funded' to the tune of around £1200 each.......so Molly Prince had 220 staff on the event in total.....all of which must have the qual.....it doesent take a PHD to work out that LDC made £264,000 out of training alone never mind the hourly rate that she WILL have been paid by the contract, she also supplies staff to the lord mayors parade and preston football club under the same Conditions

going rate for stewarding staff £10 p/h approx = 66k for the job...............£330k for two days work.............not bad eh

to our minds yeah, but she palmed off the biggest errors on other people (coach company said we'd arrive 2 hours later, the employee on the bus should not have let it go) whilst accepting that it was their (though not her) mistake and "logistical errors" and that lessons were learnt and wouldn't be repeated.
She painted the complainants as a couple of troublemakers who chose to camp outside in the rain rather than be in under cover accomodation because the accomodation was communal and that they knew that before they agreed to go, and that there were over 200 people there and no-one else complained

No challenge asking whether communal accomodation was suitable at all from the presenter, who'd earlier stated that going was voluntary.

He also didn't press her on the changing facilities, she first said they were supposed to change on the coach but then said they were supposed to change on minibuses that were bringing their kit, but didn't explain why they didn't get changed on the minibuses.

I think a lot of people will come away from hearing that thinking that it was bad and everything but it's not as bad as it's being made out and it's just a couple of troublemakers.

Hopefully more people will come forward, and if she told any outright lies then perhaps others will speak up to expose them.

The bollocks of all this is of course that the conditions are really irrelevant. It's the principle that these days if a government organised event needs stewarding what happens is they call in a contractor, who they give the stewarding money too, who then uses workfare to get free labour and pockets the money. The same principle is all over the Olympics, none of the grunts are being paid for shit. Government workfare scheme are now basically making available a massive pool of free casualised labour.

Well, apparently it was a 'one-off' and the company has apologised.

So that's alright then. :rolleyes:

bevan330.png

Poking around on companies house seems to suggest that both the security company and the training company have nearly been struck off twice each. I assume it was down to a failure to file the right paperwork, but unlike the other companies she had that are dissolved, they sorted out the paperwork in the end.

Molly Prince seems to be known as Mary Prince or Mary Jane Prince on many of the company records. She's setup a couple more limited companies this year, as Molly Prince, with the same address as the security company. They are called Vision Lifestyle Ltd and Commitment Fitness Ltd, with little sign of them having done anything yet.

Elbows, how do you check companies house? There's a dispute I'm supporting at the minute and the company concerned is one of these "charities" that uses ex-prisoners and I've been told that this Molly Prince is involved in a "charity" that's in exactly the same line of work and sounds like it might be the same one. Would be very useful if we could find out if it is. Or if you're feeling kind enough to check for me (doesn't hurt to ask eh? ;) ) I'll PM the details - don't want to say anything on a public forum cos it's pretty sensitive at the minute.

No time to go into the boring details of these searches right now, but there are quite narrow limits as to what can be searched for, especially without paying, and charities are a bit different so don't get your hopes up too much.

But I do love sniffing the net for info from a variety of sources, and it would make me feel better to discover something of some use, so please do send me the details and I'll look into it swiftly.

Elbows, how do you check companies house? There's a dispute I'm supporting at the minute and the company concerned is one of these "charities" that uses ex-prisoners and I've been told that this Molly Prince is involved in a "charity" that's in exactly the same line of work and sounds like it might be the same one. Would be very useful if we could find out if it is. Or if you're feeling kind enough to check for me (doesn't hurt to ask eh? ;) ) I'll PM the details - don't want to say anything on a public forum cos it's pretty sensitive at the minute.

You can get a certain amount of information - such as company address, dates of filing of returns (lists of directors) and of accounts - for free from http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/

You have to pay a small fee to read many of the actual documents.

No time to go into the boring details of these searches right now, but there are quite narrow limits as to what can be searched for, especially without paying, and charities are a bit different so don't get your hopes up too much.

But I do love sniffing the net for info from a variety of sources, and it would make me feel better to discover something of some use, so please do send me the details and I'll look into it swiftly.

Only just seen this, sorry. Cheers mate, I'll send you a PM when I get home, might be tomorrow morning if that's ok.

Thanks to laptop too.

Only just seen this, sorry. Cheers mate, I'll send you a PM when I get home, might be tomorrow morning if that's ok.

Thanks to laptop too.

Go for it. The advice from others is pretty much what I would have said if I'd made the effort the other night, but its probably not going to get you very far at all when it comes to charities.

So yeah, PM me when you get a chance, and once I've researched it as best I can I will also let people know which charity-related searches were most useful for future reference.

Thanks elbows (and everyone else who's given advice). I should have time to write something up in the morning and I'll PM it over. Much appreciated - not just by me either.

you may also get the info from www.bizzy.co.uk or from www.companiesintheuk.co.uk

Yep, it's great, the DPA stuff will get you out of work assignments, and the rest of the information and FoI requests on the site is fantastic.

the Channel 4 story...makes it look only 30 people where affected.

Bloke interviewed at the end (being positive about working in muddy conditions) doesn't sound like he was bussed in from Bristol :hmm:.
His tagline just says "Work Experience Steward" & it isn't made clear if he even worked at the Jubilee that day or has just been interviewed about stewarding experience in general.

Big article defending the company and downplaying the issue in the D/M yesterday, they are clearly aware this could damage the massive and ideologically important Work Programme...

Back
Top Bottom