Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

It's a complete win for Lineker, but I can see him not being there by the start of next season. The rules will be 'clarified' in a way that won't mean open season for non-news people, and he'll just quietly walk away.
if the rules are "clarified" that will have a much bigger gagging impact on all the right wing gobshites the beeb employs than it will on football pundits.

In theory employment contracts are an agreement between equals, In reality of course everything is massively weighted in the employers favour and it's a case of like it or lump it or we'll find someone else.
Lineker is in the incredibly fortunate position of being able to negotiate his contract on a far more equitable footing than the likes of the average wage slave.
The BBC can't go out and recruit another Gary Lineker because he is the only one in existence. OK they could find another well known former Premier League footballer to replace him with but there is still a very limited pool of such people to recruit from and there is always the danger they might get someone far more embarassing at least Lineker doesn't get caught snorting coke or dallying with prostitutes.
If they just wanted someone to talk out of their arse about football for 90 mins they could get my BiL to do it. Hell if they ran a line to the bar of his local they could have him and all his mates (complete with authentic Scouse accents) pontificating for the price of a few beers never mind a million spondulies. But of course no-one (epecially me) wants to listen to them.
If they start putting terms that are too onerous in Lineker's contract he can ask for them to be taken out with a very good chance of them agreeing even if they grit their teeth about it. The man is 62 and a multi-millionaire and he can walk whenever he wants.
Massively pedantic response - BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! - Lineker never played in the Premier League.

Sorry. :oops:

EDIT... Curses, beaten to it!

Massively pedantic response - BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! - Lineker never played in the Premier League.

Sorry. :oops:

EDIT... Curses, beaten to it!
Didn't know, Don't care either. My knowledge of football is minimal at best. He was certainly a top player though wasn't he? The mere fact that someone as disinterested in football as me knew who he was is proof of this.

Of course all the signs were there of an ideological falling out between the factions on Bargain Hunt when they uncovered a first edition of Debord's work in someone's garage in Scunthorpe. All the lady wanted to do was sell it so should could take her grandchildren to Florida. :(
Should of gone on Dickinsons real deal lol

Back
Top Bottom