Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

I agree that this isn't a case of bringing your employer into disrepute, but neither is it anything like saying something private your boss doesn't like.

Maybe try reading the actual policy Lineker is accused of breaking before making any more comment.

I'm fully aware of their SM policy and disagree with it, you snippy cunt. Maybe you should try reading the post I was responding to and explain what relevance Kabbes' disrepute clause has to it.

You were suggesting that employers, in principle, have no recourse so long as what their employees say is not illegal. But that’s not true. Employees routinely have contacts that allow their employers to intervene as a result of their private, legal statements of personal opinion.

They shouldn't have. That the point. If someone says something that could be deemed disreputable in the course of their work or whilst at work, that's one thing. But an employer holding people to account professionally for things they do legally in their private lives is not on. Slagging off the BBC in public could perhaps bring consequences, or similar murmurings, but not the political opinions of a football presenter.

And to add: the fact that employers have that level of routine coercive control over their employees’ private lives is becoming ever more an issue as we move into a new era of surveillance capitalism. When everything we do and say is routinely captured as data without our knowledge or approval, by companies whose business model is to process that mass of data and sell it on, people have to act as if they are monitored at all times. That comprises a colossal shift in our fundamental psychology.

This whole thing might be a lesson to them, people like the Home Secretary and those 36 tory MPs and the daily mail I mean, that just because you lob a culture wars grenade doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll win. They’ll just pick their victims / enemies a bit more carefully.

(This really isn’t about the bbc contract it’s about the MPs leaning on the bbc and it blowing up in all their faces because the unreserved apology they demanded was refused)

The same MPs no doubt want the BBC dismantled in some way and they've helped make them look like chumps so it's far from all bad, sadly.

Most don't. Neither does kabbes if the clause he's referring to is a standard disrepute clause. There's an enormous difference between bringing your employer into disrepute, and saying things your employer disagrees with.

Right. I'm subject to a NDA which means I can't make disparaging statements about the other party. But specifically about them, the NDA doesn't stop me expressing disparaging opinions about eg the sector in general or the type of business the other party is involved in. I accepted this for money. Well, also for the sake of my mental health but the money was at least as important to my accepting - I could have declined and gone on an online rampage of trashing the company's reputation, but that would have been terrible for my MH, and would have achieved fuck all really. So, I shut up and took the money.

Most companies have a social media policy and as far as I can see Gary's was different to those that work in the news etc. His comment may have been regarded as slightly "excitable" should we say but he totally should be allowed to have made it if he wanted to. It's called free speech for a reason.

As it happened when I worked for the DWP our media policy said that we were not allowed to make political comments on SM. Did I toe the line? Did I fuck! In fact I was extremely critical of the DWP and it's "stricter benefits regime" on Facebook in front of all of my work mates. I was never once pulled up about it

You know all you who feel happily entitled to just splash your minor and major irritation instantly. moodily, often nastily across urban all the time, has it ever occurred to you that it affects others who are reading here?

And that all the point scoring and minute attention to you said/ no you said is so effing tedious and disrupts the flow of so many threads for others?

Your sense of the importance of your experience and feelings above so many others is really astounding

And no, nothing major has happened on this thread overnight. Only minor every day sniping. The sort I read every time I log onto urban and its so dull and entitled

You know all you who feel happily entitled to just splash your minor and major irritation instantly. moodily, often nastily across urban all the time, has it ever occurred to you that it affects others who are reading here?

And that all the point scoring and minute attention to you said/ no you said is so effing tedious and disrupts the flow of so many threads for others?

Your sense of the importance of your experience and feelings above so many others is really astounding

And no, nothing major has happened on this thread overnight. Only minor every day sniping. The sort I read every time I log onto urban and its so dull and entitled
i'd say the bbc backing down is not something minor in this matter

This whole thing might be a lesson to them, people like the Home Secretary and those 36 tory MPs and the daily mail I mean, that just because you lob a culture wars grenade doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll win. They’ll just pick their victims / enemies a bit more carefully.

(This really isn’t about the bbc contract it’s about the MPs leaning on the bbc and it blowing up in all their faces because the unreserved apology they demanded was refused)
I agree with this. However, as this more general discussion has highlighted, it's also about the nature of employers' power over private communications. You have a policy that you generally don't apply, but it is there as a stick to beat people with selectively. In the case of the BBC it's a stick that is mostly only used to beat people who criticise the government of the day.

The BBC's impartiality/balance rules have always been nonsense, actively damaging when it comes to issues like climate change and immigration. I'd like to think this affair will change that but it probably won't.

I agree with this. However, as this more general discussion has highlighted, it's also about the nature of employers' power over private communications. You have a policy that you generally don't apply, but it is there as a stick to beat people with selectively. In the case of the BBC it's a stick that is mostly only used to beat people who criticise the government of the day.

The BBC's impartiality/balance rules have always been nonsense, actively damaging when it comes to issues like climate change and immigration. I'd like to think this affair will change that but it probably won't.

Employers control over opinions voiced by their employees privately is absolutely as important as government influence over the media. This has both.

I can see it now. The beeb announce that Lineker has agreed to "be more careful about what he tweets" as if Lineker has accepted that he crossed some imaginary line and backed down. Closely followed by a Lineker tweet that says "I've agreed nothing. That Braverman's a cunt isn't she?"

I can see it now. The beeb announce that Lineker has agreed to "be more careful about what he tweets" as if Lineker has accepted that he crossed some imaginary line and backed down. Closely followed by a Lineker tweet that says "I've agreed nothing. That Braverman's a cunt isn't she?"
Doesn't look like they've even got that out of him. There will be a review of policy and Lineker supports that review. He hasn't backed down. I could see him walking away once this review is done, though. It may conclude that high-profile presenters like him also have to toe the line.

From the link in the tweet above.

'The BBC has also apologised for the episode and announced an independent review into its social media usage guidelines.

Sky News understands Lineker has also received a direct apology.

In a tweet, Lineker said: "After a surreal few days, I'm delighted that we have navigated a way through this. I want to thank you all for the incredible support, particularly my colleagues at BBC Sport, for the remarkable show of solidarity. Football is a team game but their backing was overwhelming.'

It's a complete win for Lineker, but I can see him not being there by the start of next season. The rules will be 'clarified' in a way that won't mean open season for non-news people, and he'll just quietly walk away.

It's a complete win for Lineker, but I can see him not being there by the start of next season. The rules will be 'clarified' in a way that won't mean open season for non-news people, and he'll just quietly walk away.
If the BBC start exerting undue control on freelancer contracts, maybe HMRC will have something to say about disguised employment status.

Back
Top Bottom