Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Faulty Towers to be rebooted?

I don't re-call that, not surprising as I was living in Ireland and didn't have a telly at the time, but it's all on youtube, so I'll take a butchers later.

two minutes in and two appalling faux pas' - he'd never call his dog Trotsky! And it was the EU that banned tongue, not the commies.

I don't re-call that, not surprising as I was living in Ireland and didn't have a telly at the time, but it's all on youtube, so I'll take a butchers later.

It passed me by too. I wasn’t in Ireland but I had something called a “social life” at the time, which may account for it.

GB News presenter Dan Wootton read Cleese a headline from The Guardian, which said the Fawlty Towers reboot would be “an anti-woke nightmare.”

Cleese responded: “They obviously know better than I do what’s going to be in it. Maybe they should write an episode for me that they would find acceptable. Might not be very funny, but I’m sure it would really please some of their readers.”

He added: “The idea that it’s all going to be about wokery hadn’t particularly occurred to me.”

good news! definitely won't be the "anti-woke" cringe everybody is expecting it to be.

Is it just going to be an old man making off colour jokes and racist comments? Sometimes colliding with things people funny. Most of the time just reminding us that John Cleese used to be funny and leaving us feeling sad like a desperate wank and a bottle of gin.

good news! definitely won't be the "anti-woke" cringe everybody is expecting it to be.

This does not sound promising.

Set 40 years after the second season, Cleese said a “small bijou hotel” on a Caribbean island would provide the perfect backdrop for a modern Fawlty.

“If you put it in the Caribbean, it becomes very multi-racial. People in the hotel business come from everywhere, so you can bring lots of different people together. The characteristic of Fawlty Towers was the pressure cooker atmosphere created in the hotel.”

I dunno. I had one about fitting a quiche with an electric outboard motor the other day.

Did you miss the whole #motorquiche thing on TikTok? There's one celebrity chef in Miami who says he wouldn't dream of serving a quiche unless it had traveled at least 5 miles to get the right saltwater tang from sea spray.

craiyon_161307_electric_outboard_quiche.png

I loved it when I was a kid. Slapstick humour is great for kids. But it's aged badly, for sure. And I loved all kinds of rubbish when I was a kid. The Goodies, for instance, on which, ironically, Cleese once appeared, disparaging it as a 'Kids' Show'.
That was at the end of the fantastic Jack & the Beanstalk/It’s a Knockout episode. I remember watching that as a kid and laughing so much I threw up, (I think it was scene with Alfie Bass in a giant shoe trying to stamp on Bill Oddie..)

Tim Brooke-Taylor used to make (half-)joking references on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue to the lack of repeats for the Goodies. However, I watched an episode a while back and it was immediately obvious why it wasn't shown. Casual homophobia and racism, which had gone right over my head when I was a kid.

Some things are best left in the past. I remember laughing like a drain to the Kitten Kong episode, but I think it's probably best to keep that good memory intact by never rewatching it.

I missed that. Sounds awful. Paul Merton as Hancock didn't work either. Why do they do these terrible things? :D
Hancock is one of those series that professional comics fall over themselves to praise but I’ve always found it to be a bit of a curate’s egg and very much of its time. Ditto Fawlty Towers. Perhaps I’m just missing the genius part or I’m not clever enough to appreciate it - or I’m just a humourless cunt? My older brother corpses up at the Pink Panther films but, while there are some good moments, it just doesn’t elicit that reaction in me. Laurel & Hardy though - now that is amazingly funny 😎

This does not sound promising.

Set 40 years after the second season, Cleese said a “small bijou hotel” on a Caribbean island would provide the perfect backdrop for a modern Fawlty.

“If you put it in the Caribbean, it becomes very multi-racial. People in the hotel business come from everywhere, so you can bring lots of different people together. The characteristic of Fawlty Towers was the pressure cooker atmosphere created in the hotel.”
he lives on Nevis, so i guess hes writing what he knows (how to dodge tax i presume)

The FT's worked like clockwork. They were superbly set up and followed the joke(s) through from the opening the the final scene. For all the, in retrospect, cheap and cheesiness of some of the jokes, they were brilliantly performed. The timing was utterly impeccable.

Of course all that was down to Polly.

Hancock is one of those series that professional comics fall over themselves to praise but I’ve always found it to be a bit of a curate’s egg and very much of its time. Ditto Fawlty Towers. Perhaps I’m just missing the genius part or I’m not clever enough to appreciate it - or I’m just a humourless cunt? My older brother corpses up at the Pink Panther films but, while there are some good moments, it just doesn’t elicit that reaction in me. Laurel & Hardy though - now that is amazingly funny 😎

Yeah, there were a lot of Hancock episodes, particularly if you include the radio, and only a few still stand up really. But his 12 Angry Men and Blood Donor are still funny I think. Plus I love the film The Rebel.

I loved Pink Panther as a kid but now don't find it so funny. Partly growing up, partly it just being too familiar. I think you can watch anything so many times that it can lose its effect.

Is it just going to be an old man making off colour jokes and racist comments? Sometimes colliding with things people funny. Most of the time just reminding us that John Cleese used to be funny and leaving us feeling sad like a desperate wank and a bottle of gin.

The last time I found Cleese remotely funny was Life of Brian and the 2nd series of Fawlty Towers in the late 70s. Maybe Clockwise a bit - but then he made that other film whatever it was called and if it wasn't for Palin's contribution I don't think I would have laughed once.

Yeah, there were a lot of Hancock episodes, particularly if you include the radio, and only a few still stand up really. But his 12 Angry Men and Blood Donor are still funny I think. Plus I love the film The Rebel.

I loved Pink Panther as a kid but now don't find it so funny. Partly growing up, partly it just being too familiar. I think you can watch anything so many times that it can lose its effect.
The Rebel is hysterically funny I must concede. I love the part where he’s moved to Paris and is being shown to his garret. As they walk up the stairs, there’s 2 fellas knocking the absolute shit out of each other, he asks what’s going on and gets the reply “That’s Jules and Jim. They’re best friends really but they quarrel about art” 😀

Thinking about why Laurel and Hardy has aged so well, comparatively, I think it's because the joke was always on them, never on anybody else? That avoids any issue with how the acceptability of comic targets can change over the years.
They have some absolutely classic episodes - my favourites being “Busybodies” where they work in a sawmill and “Them Thar Hills” where moonshiners tip their product down the well. The latter features the amazing Mae Busch - who reprises the role in “Tit for Tat”. Just brilliant.

Are there are reboots that have been anything but appalling? Dad's Army, Are you Being Served. I didn't see either but heard they were really bad.

There was a new carry On film some years back that I also wisely avoided
I saw that Dad's Army film recently, and it was't that bad. I enjoyed it, not that it was anything like original Dad's Army, but as a stand alone film I thought better than average for a British comedy. I'll probably watch it again at some point.

On the other hand I tried to watch that Sweeney film and it was so appalling I gave up after 30 minutes.

Surely most of the Star Treks are, effectively, reboots? Even if every series was less good than there previous one.

And Arrested Development.
I came round to TNG about 7/8 years ago when i started watching the whole thing on Netflix and though it started weak I thought by the end of the last season it way surpassed the original series.

In fact to my eyes the original series seems to be not quite Star Trek and its a bit ropey tbh.

I would also disagree that all versions of Star Trek are reboots. Most are more like sequels and they build on rather than replace previous versions - with the exception of those recent god awful films.

btw, Galton and Simpson always insisted that Hancock never improvised anything. It was all written by them, right down to details like 'very nearly an armful'.

However, their reboot with Paul Merton only served to show how important Hancock had been, the opposite of what they set out to do.

Back
Top Bottom