Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

And now Fiona Bruce to stand down from role in domestic abuse charity after defending Stanley 'It only happened once' Johnson on Question Time.

Fiona Bruce to step down as Refuge ambassador over Stanley Johnson comments

I do kind of feel sorry for BBC presenters. It can't be easy knowing which people associated with the government can be attacked and which cannot.

Attacking is one thing, leaping to the defence of quite another. Maybe she had the libel lawyers in her earpiece.

All this Gary talk reminds that G Numan is in fact 13 days older than G Oldman.

There seem to be a lot of Garys of roughly that age, including Kemp and Lineker himself, but now the name has fallen out of favour. I wonder which year was peak Gary.
Apparently Gary Cooper made it popular for a bit.
I'm the same age as GL and there was one in my class at school whose delightful parents gave "Player" as a middle name and there was one at work roughly the same age .,

I just checked and there are 11 in the staff list at the uni where I worked...

Last edited:
Is Gary Glitter the worst ambassador for a name that there has ever been?

Even when we were kids, way before he was known as a nonce, his name was rhyming slang for 'shitter'.

"Where's Dave gone?" ... "He's in the Gary"; or one might be told "stick it up yer Gary" after making an unpopular suggestion.

Even Adolph seems to have made something of a revival (Dolph is a diminutive of Adolph) but Gary seems to be truly on the wane.

Even when we were kids, way before he was known as a nonce, his name was rhyming slang for 'shitter'.

"Where's Dave gone?" ... "He's in the Gary"; or one might be told "stick it up yer Gary" after making an unpopular suggestion.

Even Adolph seems to have made something of a revival (Dolph is a diminutive of Adolph) but Gary seems to be truly on the wane.

d1ac317c-c0d7-49d4-8d68-3b69d2f55392_text.gif

Last edited:
As an aside, I think all the Garys in the world should be told they spell their name wrong and henceforth made to spell it with a double-R.

Garry.

I'm glad I never had to name a child - a bloody minefield.
I was fortuitously given a first name that works in French.
My neighbour decided it was "posh".
Ironically both my names are decidedly Biblical in nature - and I was dunked :p

Tex, now there's a good name.

As an aside, I think all the Garys in the world should be told they spell their name wrong and henceforth made to spell it with a double-R.

Garry.
Google says
Gary is likely derived from the Norman French name Geiree, itself descended from the Old Frankish name Geiserich, composed of two elements: “*gaizaz” (spear, pike, javelin) plus “*rīkijaz” (kingly, royal). A variant form of Gary is Garry, the spelling of which has been influenced by that of Barry.

I say bring back Gerry/Jerry

According to the site that story cites:

Overall UK ranking: 1329 out of 4789

19 recorded births last year

That's up significantly from 2021 but I think it would take more than 19 Garys to count as a spectacular comeback

Yeah, if you came 1329th in pretty much anything you'd be hard pushed to call it a spectacular result.

In my world, a Gary is an ecstasy pill.
So all this talk of Gary has got me jonesing for getting mashup at a rave

Back
Top Bottom