Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Quantum Leap reboot, La Brea, and other cheesy TV sci fi

I have finished Season 3 of La Brea, Gloriously Daft until the very end. I just love how a bunch of Neolithic villagers take so easily to 21st Century technology without batting an eyelid

I'd like to submit The Last Ship for consideration on this thread. Big US navy ship deals with plague which wipes out most of the population. Lots of guns, boats, helicopters, fighting and ludicrous science around the vaccine/cure. 4 seasons of cheesy nonsense. I'm at the end of season 2 at the moment.

Not sci fi, fantasy, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer popped up on Paramount. I’d never seen it, probably mainly because I thought it was for tweens, and I was in my 30s when it came out. But many people on here have said it’s “one of the greatest programmes ever made”. So I thought I’d give it a go.

Am I missing something, or is there a radical change later in its run? It’s cheesy fun and all that, but I’m on episode 5 (by far the worst so far), and it’s like something out of the 60s. Really shonky, obvious, wooden, rubber, and kind of like Adam West Batman meets early Lindsay Lohan.

Are people liking it ironically? I’m up for that, but it’s not at all what I was expecting. Or rather, it’s exactly what I originally expected but had been led to believe otherwise…

Not sci fi, fantasy, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer popped up on Paramount. I’d never seen it, probably mainly because I thought it was for tweens, and I was in my 30s when it came out. But many people on here have said it’s “one of the greatest programmes ever made”. So I thought I’d give it a go.

Am I missing something, or is there a radical change later in its run? It’s cheesy fun and all that, but I’m on episode 5 (by far the worst so far), and it’s like something out of the 60s. Really shonky, obvious, wooden, rubber, and kind of like Adam West Batman meets early Lindsay Lohan.

Are people liking it ironically? I’m up for that, but it’s not at all what I was expecting. Or rather, it’s exactly what I originally expected but had been led to believe otherwise…
Originally joined later in the run and by then it was in its stride. Decided to go back and watch from the start. Got as far as yourself and bailed out.

Proper fans will be able to suggest the best starting point, it's been so long can't recall!

Originally joined later in the run and by then it was in its stride. Decided to go back and watch from the start. Got as far as yourself and bailed out.

Proper fans will be able to suggest the best starting point, it's been so long can't recall!
Oh my god, I just started the next episode about a school trip and a pack of hyenas, and it’s even worse. It’s terrible. I can’t watch this even with irony. It’s actively atrocious.

It's actually very good, MacFarlane makes no secret of being a MASSIVE Star Trek fan and the Orville is very much a love letter to it.
Yup. It's hit and miss the first few episodes, admittedly, but really enjoyed it overall. One of the best things he's done.

Back
Top Bottom