Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top 150 sci-fi films

fun list - comprehenisve with lots of detail on the films and a few ive not seen that id like to check out.
Quibbles - as mentioned above - no "village of the damned" and also no "28 Days Later"
And 2001 is a fucking borefest. The sequal 2010 is a much better film (and didnt make the list either)

fun list - comprehenisve with lots of detail on the films and a few ive not seen that id like to check out.
Quibbles - as mentioned above - no "village of the damned" and also no "28 Days Later"
And 2001 is a fucking borefest. The sequal 2010 is a much better film (and didnt make the list either)
Liked until we entered an alternative universe where somehow 2010 is a better film than 2001

Yeah, I was thinking similar, in that the book is (far as I can tell, haven't read it :D) considerably more rooted in sci-fi than the film.
oh, i read it a couple of years ago, back to back with the Andromeda Strain, also containing ideas that are adjacent to/ rooted in chaos theory.

one film that never comes up on lists even of cult films is
...people in Poland love this, its like Life of Brian for a certain generation. It deals with sexual politics including the slobishness of men - and is a dig at totalitarianism - its a scifi comedy made in the communist era - havent seen it in years but may be worth a watch if you're looking for something different....
I do like it but it feels very Two Ronnies

Thats the spirit - good thread fodder. 2010 was very good i seem to remember but only saw it once years ago, would be curious to see it again.

My top two scifi films are space "borefests" ,2001 and the original Solaris - thats becasue space is a "borefest" - its not a place of zany fun and colonial-minded adventure like star trek would have us believe, its a zone of infinite nothingness, existential dread and profound sanity-destroying inhumanity - 2001 and Solaris both capture that in a way that is pure genius and unmatched in over 50 years.

I do like it but it feels very Two Ronnies
i think the two leads were effectively the Two Ronnies of their day (?), as in they were well known comedians...maybe. Id love to have seen a Two Ronnie's space comedy

I wonder how Morons from Outer Space comes across today...I still remeber the theme tune :facepalm: i think it mustve charted

Ive heard Paul isnt quite as terrible as it looks and has some laughs

Last edited:
Thats the spirit - good thread fodder. 2010 was very good i seem to remember but only saw it once years ago, would be curious to see it again.

My top two scifi films are space "borefests" ,2001 and the original Solaris - thats becasue space is a "borefest" - its not a place of zany fun and colonial-minded adventure like star trek would have us believe, its a zone of infinite nothingness, existential dread and profound sanity-destroying inhumanity - 2001 and Solaris both capture that in a way that is pure genius and unmatched in over 50 years.
Have a lot of love for Soderbergh's version, too. Different vibe but still mesmerising in its own way.

Stalker is in the zone, too.

Have a lot of love for Soderbergh's version, too. Different vibe but still mesmerising in its own way.

Stalker is in the zone, too.
Stalker is amazing for sure....but its a bit more of a slog to watch in my experience...worth it though, leaves a strong memory

Probably everyone knows this already but i only came across it recently
“We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Jägala with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream.
"There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison.”
“Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces.
"Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larisa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris."
It's never been confirmed if the deaths were indeed linked to the harsh surroundings while filming the movie.

Stalker is amazing for sure....but its a bit more of a slog to watch in my experience...worth it though, leaves a strong memory

Probably everyone knows this already but i only came across it recently
“We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Jägala with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream.
"There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison.”
“Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces.
"Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larisa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris."
It's never been confirmed if the deaths were indeed linked to the harsh surroundings while filming the movie.
Yes, read about the deaths, too.

If you want to revisit Stalker without the.... pauses... Try the original novel, Roadside Picnic, it's quite a different vibe (stronger sci-fi element) but essentially, the same story, just faster paced.

Good tip....one day Id like to read more Soviet era scifi...I read a little Stanislaw Lem and enjoyed that a lot

But yeah on the slowness Tarkovsky films all seem to have that and I think he regularly successfully pulls it off as hypnotism rather than sludge...you do need to be somewhat in the mood...that said I remember Stalker to have got a little bit navel gazing in places....only saw it once though

Good tip....one day Id like to read more Soviet era scifi...I read a little Stanislaw Lem and enjoyed that a lot

But yeah on the slowness Tarkovsky films all seem to have that and I think he regularly successfully pulls it off as hypnotism rather than sludge...you do need to be somewhat in the mood...that said I remember Stalker to have got a little bit navel gazing in places....only saw it once though

Wanted to see it years ago, but didn't didn't want to fork out for the DVD, also the various versions on YouTube were shit until found it on Mosfilm.

Wanted to see it years ago, but didn't didn't want to fork out for the DVD, also the various versions on YouTube were shit until found it on Mosfilm.
wow amazing that theyve put so many of their films up on youtube

...jsut saw KinDzaDza is on there too, i remember that being a good soviet scifi watch - they definitely dont make them like this anymore

Used to be:

Science fiction = everything is scientifically possible if not necessarily possible yet.

Science fantasy = not all scientifically possible, likely got nonsense like magic and dragons and suchl.

So many (most?) sci-fi films are actually science fantasy.
I like to be controversial by calling Star Trek science Fantasy.

Because it clearly is.

wow amazing that theyve put so many of their films up on youtube

...jsut saw KinDzaDza is on there too, i remember that being a good soviet scifi watch - they definitely dont make them like this anymore
It's the best channel to see restored and decently subtitled soviet classics. Not just the sci-fi.

Is La Jetee sufficiently different to 12 Monkeys to be worth including both? I have only seen 12M, but thought they were basically the same film.

I would have included Vanilla Sky, or even better, the Spanish original Open Your Eyes

Reactions: PTK
this is a really great video essay if youve got a couple of hours to kill ... Rob Ager does his homework and adds his own pretty unique perceptions and insights ...i know theres a lot of this kind of thing out there but its particularly good...highly recommended

Oh yeah - solaris. Another dreary "never mind the plot - check out the incredibly long tracking shot, thrill to the lack of dialouge and immerse yourself in the glacial pace" critics fave.

Rewatched Valley of the Winds with the kids several times and it really holds up. Not purr sci-fi though.

Back
Top Bottom