Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top 150 sci-fi films

"Speculative fiction is a broad umbrella category of fiction that encompasses all the genres that deliberately depart from realism or from strictly imitating ordinary reality,[1] instead presenting supernatural, futuristic, and other highly imaginative realms.[2] This catch-all genre thus includes, but is not limited to, science fiction, fantasy, Western, horror, superhero fiction, alternate history, utopian and dystopian fiction, and supernatural fiction, as well as combinations thereof (for example, science fantasy).[3] The term has been used with a variety of meanings for works of literature.[1]"

I remember seeing Black Hole at the cinema when I was 8 and feeling like I'd been robbed. It was the first film I saw at the cinema that really left me feeling fed up and as if I'd been sold a dud.

Reactions: PTK
It might be worth sitting through the absurdities of Ad Astra in order to hear the (unintentionally) hilarious line towards the end. I laughed out loud when I heard it.

I remember seeing Black Hole at the cinema when I was 8 and feeling like I'd been robbed. It was the first film I saw at the cinema that really left me feeling fed up and as if I'd been sold a dud.
It wasn't really a kids film though was it. It had disembowlment in it and also the robot had his creator trapped inside it as a metaphor for hell.

Or something. It's been a while since I've seen it

It wasn't really a kids film though was it. It had disembowlment in it and also the robot had his creator trapped inside it as a metaphor for hell.

Or something. It's been a while since I've seen it

I just remember thinking 'I won't be doing any of that with Lego when I get home'

Unlike Saturn 3, which was the film that was on before Superman II, and had a mad robot and one of Charlie's Angels in it. I thought it was great at the time. I wondered if it was on by mistake, because it felt a bit too grown up for a Saturday afternoon screening full of kids. I later learned it was just a big, shit, flop that was probably added to the program as part of a package deal. Black Hole was just a bit dull to an 8 year old me who had earlier in the year experienced Star Wars on a massive screen in leicester square.

I've never seen Saturn 3 or Black Hole since.

I was surprised it even made the top 150
Given the average quality of SF films, I'm surprised there's a Top 150 where I've even heard of 95% of them. That being said, even their top 15 are all quite inconsistent or fatally flawed in some way so it's not like there exists some golden standard of an SF film to hold everything else up to.

Though it was somewhat surprising that I didn't think "No, that's outright pig slop" very often leafing through it. Maybe for Under the Skin, but that's horribly divisive and I've yet to meet anyone who just thinks it's "alright". Very love it or hate it.

Maybe for Under the Skin, but that's horribly divisive and I've yet to meet anyone who just thinks it's "alright". Very love it or hate it.
It was an astonishing film to watch for the first time in the cinema. Can't see myself ever watching it again though.

True story - first time I saw Bladerunner in 1982 I felt it was a visually fantastic film but I came away thinking there was no substance to it. Admittedly it was the ropey studio version and i was only 15 at the time, but over the years it became my favourite ever film.

I just remember thinking 'I won't be doing any of that with Lego when I get home'

Unlike Saturn 3, which was the film that was on before Superman II, and had a mad robot and one of Charlie's Angels in it. I thought it was great at the time. I wondered if it was on by mistake, because it felt a bit too grown up for a Saturday afternoon screening full of kids. I later learned it was just a big, shit, flop that was probably added to the program as part of a package deal. Black Hole was just a bit dull to an 8 year old me who had earlier in the year experienced Star Wars on a massive screen in leicester square.

I've never seen Saturn 3 or Black Hole since.
Saw Saturn 3 for the first time last year. The relationship between Farah Fawcett and Kirk Douglas isn't convincing and Harvey Keitel's performance is just plain weird and wooden.

Outland, from around the same time, is far better and looks like it's set in the Alien universe.

Thats the spirit - good thread fodder. 2010 was very good i seem to remember but only saw it once years ago, would be curious to see it again.

My top two scifi films are space "borefests" ,2001 and the original Solaris - thats becasue space is a "borefest" - its not a place of zany fun and colonial-minded adventure like star trek would have us believe, its a zone of infinite nothingness, existential dread and profound sanity-destroying inhumanity - 2001 and Solaris both capture that in a way that is pure genius and unmatched in over 50 years.
I got quite disappointed when Gravity started to have 'plot'. I would have been quite happy with 2 hours of astronauts going about their business in space (on IMAX; not sure it'd entirely hold my attention on my tablet :hmm: ).

True story - first time I saw Bladerunner in 1982 I felt it was a visually fantastic film but I came away thinking there was no substance to it. Admittedly it was the ropey studio version and i was only 15 at the time, but over the years it became my favourite ever film.
Now that's a borefest.

(I have similarly grown to appreciate it more with age, although still not to the point it's anywhere near my favourite films ever)

Saw it a few years after its release and was mesmerized by it. Got the VHS, then the directors cut, then the final cut.

Still think the treatment of women in it is dodgy, so (like its sequel) it's a flawed masterpiece.

I got quite disappointed when Gravity started to have 'plot'. I would have been quite happy with 2 hours of astronauts going about their business in space (on IMAX; not sure it'd entirely hold my attention on my tablet :hmm: ).
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: that was the most stupidest scifi film going, especially the start when going about their business bit...acting like they were doing a bit of painting and decorating at home rather than a space walk....im still annoyed by it :D

Now that's a borefest.

(I have similarly grown to appreciate it more with age, although still not to the point it's anywhere near my favourite films ever)
Well, it isn't now, but for a while it was. And tbh I find it very hard to make a judgement these days. I'm a huge PKD fan, so a lot of what i read into the film may not actually be there, but be from PKD works instead, and I spend a lot of time reading about and thinking about the nature of consciousness, and also as an autistic trans woman I realised I identified quite strongly with some of the android characters.

Well, it isn't now, but for a while it was. And tbh I find it very hard to make a judgement these days. I'm a huge PKD fan, so a lot of what i read into the film may not actually be there, but be from PKD works instead, and I spend a lot of time reading about and thinking about the nature of consciousness, and also as an autistic trans woman I realised I identified quite strongly with some of the android characters.
Reckon many of us who are fond of the film would be on the side of the replicants.

Kicks off with tank girl and I have immediately lost faith in the list. There has to be waaay more than 149 Sci fi films better than tank girl.

Back
Top Bottom