Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your top five films of 2023

It's been mostly mubi picks for me this year, so quite a limited sample. Three hits, three misses.

Three films that I really liked:

Falling Leaves
How to Have Sex
Alcarrás

Three that lots liked but I wasn't so sure about:

Eight Mountains (what should have been the ending came a way before the actual ending - not a bad film, but if I'm honest, I was bored by it, five mountains would have been enough)
Holy Spider (just grim, in a way that I don't want to watch)
Saltburn (less to it than meets the eye, with several bum notes that appear to be there to cater to a US market and a whole scene lifted from Remains of the Day. Lazy.)

Reactions: Sue
Top five:

Barbie
Polite Society
Oppenheimer
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Cocaine Bear
Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget

Honourable Mentions:

Renfield
Bottoms
Killers of the Flower Moon
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Past Lives
Asteroid City

Dishonourable mentions:

The Flash - just bad. It made Gal Gadot look like an excellent actor for the brief time she was in it
A Haunting in Venice - Fuck off Branagh
Across the Spiderverse - not quite dishonourable, but just didn't merit the hype

Cannot watch Anatomy of a Fall because the resemblance of the lead actress to my ex-ex - who I'm fine with - is SO strong that it's literally like seeing her on screen pretending to not be her. And it's a distinctive look.

Barbie
Bottoms
Women Talking
Enys Men
Falling Leaves

Special mention to Oppenheimer for being way better than expected and worth a rewatch.

Reactions: Sue
New favourite film of the year: Sazume

My daughter wanted to watch it last night and it's absolutely wonderful. An beautifully animated anime film about a teenage girl having to travel across Japan closing doors to the afterlife to stop a giant worm coming through and causing earthquakes, accompanied by a cat/god and a walking, talking chair. Genuinely brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom