Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top 150 sci-fi films

Reno needs us first to nearly destroy ourselves in childish-yet-deadly wars fuelled by appalling opinions and nuclear weapons, before he swoops in near the end of the final reel and finishes off the rest of us with a pithy bon mot 🤷‍♀️
Yes, hopefully we'll see him here again.

He saw beyond the toxic fan shite, and was a champion of the greatest Star Wars film yet.

True story - first time I saw Bladerunner in 1982 I felt it was a visually fantastic film but I came away thinking there was no substance to it. Admittedly it was the ropey studio version and i was only 15 at the time, but over the years it became my favourite ever film.
I first saw Bladerunner in 1985, when I was at University.

It was on something that looked very much like the pic below. For reasons one may find obvious, I wasn't wildly impressed with the film.

s-l1200.jpg

I doubt I need point out, it was black and white.

I first saw Bladerunner in 1985, when I was at University.

It was on something that looked very much like the pic below. For reasons one may find obvious, I wasn't wildly impressed with the film.

s-l1200.jpg

I doubt I need point out, it was black and white.
i did similar in 1985 - on my little b&w portable tv. But then I'd seen it in the cinema already. Got to see it again in '92 when the director's cut came out. More recently I've had it on DVD so could watch it any time i like now. Haven't watched it i years.

Supposedly The Final Cut is the one to watch.... Can't remember the differences... No voice over? Ending? I'm in the spectacular but boring camp though

ETA "the Final Cut contains the original full-length version of the unicorn dream, which had never been in any version, and has been restored. Additionally, all of the additional violence and alternative edits from the international cut have been inserted."
Pretty sure voice over removed too

Supposedly The Final Cut is the one to watch.... Can't remember the differences... No voice over? Ending? I'm in the spectacular but boring camp though

ETA "the Final Cut contains the original full-length version of the unicorn dream, which had never been in any version, and has been restored. Additionally, all of the additional violence and alternative edits from the international cut have been inserted."
Pretty sure voice over removed too
yeah, VoiceOver has been removed from nearly all the versions now. I quite enjoyed it at the time, but now Ford doesn't sound world weary, just bored.

yeah, VoiceOver has been removed from nearly all the versions now. I quite enjoyed it at the time, but now Ford doesn't sound world weary, just bored.
I wish they'd make it an option, at least. It was a legitimate artistic choice to make it more of an homage to noir. If it's good enough for Sunset Blvd...

I wish they'd make it an option, at least. It was a legitimate artistic choice to make it more of an homage to noir. If it's good enough for Sunset Blvd...
...though IIRC it was added after a focus group formed by the studio and is cited as an example of studio interference (and it is an option as theres a few cuts of the film out there)

Struck my mind that the list has what I think are two fairly egregious omissions:

• The Stepford Wives
  • Never Let Me Go

The latter in particular even seems to have its author protesting that its not sci-fi, since it's clearly literature. Because obviously an alternate history where sterile genetic clones are bred as psychologically conditioned organ donor slaves so that the "regular" human population can live disease-free can't be considered sci-fi for some reason :shrugs:

Deffo a replicant himself…

Bryant's the (human) cop in charge of the Bladerunner missions, and Gaff is the (human) handler of the (replicant) Deckard, who has just been activated for this assignment following the failure of his predecessor. Argument over ;)

D'oh, so it was...! Managed to miss that somehow but I remember it being an argument I read a few times when the film came out (and I was initially put off it by enduring a trailer that played it as a straight romantic drama until I realised what book it was actually a film of). Probably I'm just bitter about snobbery around the genre still...

Bryant's the (human) cop in charge of the Bladerunner missions, and Gaff is the (human) handler of the (replicant) Deckard, who has just been activated for this assignment following the failure of his predecessor. Argument over ;)
Controversial take on Deckard there - even more so now on account of the sequel

You did a man’s job StdP

As much as I've come to appreciate the sequel... the above explanation is the only one that made sense to me for the original Blade Runner (at least insofar as the Director's/Final Cut presented themselves). Since it's all fake anyway I'm happy to let the two sit as they are ;)

(But who's to say Deckard wasn't also a Nexus 6 and that Tyrell orchestrated the entire charade as an excuse to get him together with Rachel in order to test out his new Nexus Sex?)

Funny, I've never really been interested in these sort of arguments regarding Bladerunner. I take the various theories on board and can see pros and cons of each, but for me the much more interesting aspects are the philosophical questions regarding identity and consciousness.

Saw it a few years after its release and was mesmerized by it. Got the VHS, then the directors cut, then the final cut.

Still think the treatment of women in it is dodgy, so (like its sequel) it's a flawed masterpiece.
PKD's treatment of women is a bit strange in all his works. So at least it's a bit in keeping with the book.

Is sci-fi with FTL travel considered to be fantasy?
Freeman of The Land?

I claim my FEE SCHEDULE in regard to my lawful right to freely travel on Her Majesty's intergalactic flightpaths for any transgressions by police officers, government principals or agents or justice system participants is FIVE HUNDRED GB POUNDS PER HOUR if and from the moment on being stopped (with the exception of being stopped by the police to ascertain if the conveyance has been stolen), questioned, interrogated or in any way detained, harassed or otherwise regulated and FIVE THOUSAND GB POUNDS PER HOUR if and from the moment I am handcuffed, transported, incarcerated or subjected to any adjudication process without my express written and notarised consent. Also if violence be done to either me or those under my care and protection, or damage of loss to my privately owned, borrowed or hired conveyance the fee shall be FIFTEEN THOUSAND GB POUNDS in addition to any compensation that may be awarded.

Freeman of The Land?

I claim my FEE SCHEDULE in regard to my lawful right to freely travel on Her Majesty's intergalactic flightpaths for any transgressions by police officers, government principals or agents or justice system participants is FIVE HUNDRED GB POUNDS PER HOUR if and from the moment on being stopped (with the exception of being stopped by the police to ascertain if the conveyance has been stolen), questioned, interrogated or in any way detained, harassed or otherwise regulated and FIVE THOUSAND GB POUNDS PER HOUR if and from the moment I am handcuffed, transported, incarcerated or subjected to any adjudication process without my express written and notarised consent. Also if violence be done to either me or those under my care and protection, or damage of loss to my privately owned, borrowed or hired conveyance the fee shall be FIFTEEN THOUSAND GB POUNDS in addition to any compensation that may be awarded.
Template needs updating :(

Back
Top Bottom