Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

It's a complete win for Lineker, but I can see him not being there by the start of next season. The rules will be 'clarified' in a way that won't mean open season for non-news people, and he'll just quietly walk away.
What you mean is that his next freelance contract will include hefty punitive clauses that he either agrees to or walks.
I wonder at the length of his contract. It might be more than renewed season by season.

What you mean is that his next freelance contract will include hefty punitive clauses that he either agrees to or walks.
I wonder at the length of his contract. It might be more than renewed season by season.
That's not what I mean, no. Presumably his current contract includes clauses saying that he will adhere to BBC codes of conduct, and he's announced today that he supports this review so it would be hard for him to then contest its findings.

There are various strands to this story, but this particular strand isn't even primarily about Lineker. The review will put in place new guidelines that everyone will have to follow. Removing ambiguity may not mean all good news.

In that sense, getting Lineker to publicly support a review of policy means it isn't a total win for Lineker. They haven't got him to admit to doing anything wrong, but they have got him to accept that something like his tweet may not be permissible in future.

Last edited:
In theory employment contracts are an agreement between equals, In reality of course everything is massively weighted in the employers favour and it's a case of like it or lump it or we'll find someone else.
Lineker is in the incredibly fortunate position of being able to negotiate his contract on a far more equitable footing than the likes of the average wage slave.
The BBC can't go out and recruit another Gary Lineker because he is the only one in existence. OK they could find another well known former Premier League footballer to replace him with but there is still a very limited pool of such people to recruit from and there is always the danger they might get someone far more embarassing at least Lineker doesn't get caught snorting coke or dallying with prostitutes.
If they just wanted someone to talk out of their arse about football for 90 mins they could get my BiL to do it. Hell if they ran a line to the bar of his local they could have him and all his mates (complete with authentic Scouse accents) pontificating for the price of a few beers never mind a million spondulies. But of course no-one (epecially me) wants to listen to them.
If they start putting terms that are too onerous in Lineker's contract he can ask for them to be taken out with a very good chance of them agreeing even if they grit their teeth about it. The man is 62 and a multi-millionaire and he can walk whenever he wants.

Well he is not popular with everyone. :D

FrBd7FjXgAE_LSh

In theory employment contracts are an agreement between equals, In reality of course everything is massively weighted in the employers favour and it's a case of like it or lump it or we'll find someone else.
Lineker is in the incredibly fortunate position of being able to negotiate his contract on a far more equitable footing than the likes of the average wage slave.
The BBC can't go out and recruit another Gary Lineker because he is the only one in existence. OK they could find another well known former Premier League footballer to replace him with but there is still a very limited pool of such people to recruit from and there is always the danger they might get someone far more embarassing at least Lineker doesn't get caught snorting coke or dallying with prostitutes.
If they just wanted someone to talk out of their arse about football for 90 mins they could get my BiL to do it. Hell if they ran a line to the bar of his local they could have him and all his mates (complete with authentic Scouse accents) pontificating for the price of a few beers never mind a million spondulies. But of course no-one (epecially me) wants to listen to them.
If they start putting terms that are too onerous in Lineker's contract he can ask for them to be taken out with a very good chance of them agreeing even if they grit their teeth about it. The man is 62 and a multi-millionaire and he can walk whenever he wants.
He's a bit of an outlier as a presenter in that he's the anchor and a former top player. Most of the time, the anchors aren't former top players. There have been a few - Sue Barker, for instance - but to be the anchor requires broadcasting skills first and foremost. Someone like Mark Chapman could present MOTD perfectly well.

Also, point of order: Lineker never played in the Premier League. ;)

/sports point derail

He's a bit of an outlier as a presenter in that he's the anchor and a former top player. Most of the time, the anchors aren't former top players. There have been a few - Sue Barker, for instance - but to be the anchor requires broadcasting skills first and foremost. Someone like Mark Chapman could present MOTD perfectly well.

Also, point of order: Lineker never played in the Premier League. ;)
once again, points of order relate to the running of a meeting - move to a vote, acceptance of agenda, queries over there being a quorum present and so on. what you're raising is in fact a point of information.

He signed for five years in 2020. That is the entirety of what I know about football.

sky news have just shown the current BBC media guidelines on impartiality, most of it is laughable when it comes to political bias

I'm looking forward to all the anti cancel culture warriors, who campaigned so vociferously to cancel Gary Lineker, shutting the fuck up about cancel culture from now on. 🙂

Will they fuck as like. Still it's a massive stick to beat them with.

Back
Top Bottom