Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

Yeah. Not that I’m sitting against Lineker here — I’m firmly on his side of the fence. And I’m not saying I think it’s in any way right that my employer thinks it should own my private time. But that’s how it is
lineker hasnt tweeted about his employee so this is irrelevant [dont mean to sound curt]

Yeah. Not that I’m sitting against Lineker here — I’m firmly on his side of the fence. And I’m not saying I think it’s in any way right that my employer thinks it should own my private time. But that’s how it is
Different when you're a freelancer/contractor/consultant though? In that situation, the organisation contracting out wants to distance itself from an employment relationship so it minimises/omits the level of control it can have as an employer.

Edit: "control" may mean many things including but not limited to what the person does in the time that is their own.

Different when you're a freelancer/contractor/consultant though? In that situation, the organisation contracting out wants to distance itself from an employment relationship so it minimises/omits the level of control it can have as an employer.

Edit: "control" may mean many things including but not limited to what the person does in the time that is their own.
Lineker's employment status appears to be a bit murky. He's clearly got some sort of contract despite being freelance. It's not the same as when I was freelance in the past, for example, when I could basically be told not to come in ever again at 4.59 in the afternoon.

Which is what the politicians can't learn. You can't fake basic decency.
TBF I am sure there are decent politicians out there, some of whom actually making it to Westminster. But sadly they’re usually relegated to the last row in the back benches, and undoubtedly told to hold their tongue or else by their own peers.

Lineker's employment status appears to be a bit murky. He's clearly got some sort of contract despite being freelance. It's not the same as when I was freelance in the past, for example, when I could basically be told not to come in ever again at 4.59 in the afternoon.
Yeah he was also told not to come in for motd with no notice. He's a freelancer, who is saying that he's not,?

The main difference is the legal advice you can afford tbh. You had a contract with whoever you freelanced for, it was probably just an implied one which didn't get you any particular rights.

After 24 years or so you'd expect it'd be different than what you've got

lineker hasnt tweeted about his employee so this is irrelevant [dont mean to sound curt]
I wouldn’t have to tweet against my employer for my employer to claim I had brought them into disrepute. It would merely take me saying something socially unacceptable in a place/format in which I could be recognisably associated as their employee.

If I had a Twitter account that I used to tweet about my industry and then I used that same account to say “fuck the Tories”, that would at the very least cause me some grief with my employer.

Lineker hasn't been sacked, he's been suspended, so questions of notice aren't really relevant.

BBC announcements suggest they want to resolve the issue and have him back presenting MotD as soon as possible.

I would imagine he is still being paid.

14-minute MOTD 2 tonight according to The Independent. Undoubtedly it will attract higher than usual viewing figures, and the Tory press will tomorrow attempt to spin it as proof that viewers prefer it :D

14-minute MOTD 2 tonight according to The Independent. Undoubtedly it will attract higher than usual viewing figures, and the Tory press will tomorrow attempt to spin it as proof that viewers prefer it :D
I hope not. Am I being too naive to expect viewers to not watch a scab tv programme?

I hope not. Am I being too naive to expect viewers to not watch a scab tv programme?
I've not watched this MoTD but then I haven't really watched it for years apart from the occasional flick or when something controversial has happened like Everton getting tanked. I can however, realise why people may have watched it out of curiosity just to see the evidence of the BBC shooting themselves in the foot. It's almost like Jim Bowen pulling the curtain open on the speedboat that the couple who lived in the high rise in Birmingham "Could of won". Viewing them ridiculing themselves seems to have been the must watch this week.

Last edited:
Any claim that Lineker isn't critical to the success of MoTD is undermined somewhat by the fact that they were paying him well over £1m a year tbh.

Back
Top Bottom