Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

So a few days ago 36 tory MPs and lords signed a letter to the director general of the bbc which "demanded that the corporation boss secure a full apology 'without reservation' from Mr Lineker.
How completely ridiculous.
All 36 of them fine with Braverman's mad speeches about the billions of invaders, of course.

So thats what happened then .
from here but they're all talking about it now, using it to call for resignations.

Last edited:
Turning out to be a fun week for the Tories. How many are striking on budget day this week? I think some schools are and the underground is pretty much all out.
Junior Dr's will be in the last day of their 3 strike. I'm amazed that the Govt hasn't made a last minute attempt either buy/ban/scare them off. That is going to be a lot more significant than rail or teaching strikes

I can’t really be arsed getting into an argument about it tbh but it’s happened to at least one poster on here where their employer has been contacted for mischief making by a person unknown presumably to get them sacked. Maybe the term ‘cancel culture’ is what you object to and it isn’t a hill I’m willing to die on. But let’s not pretend that doxing and contacting employers over political posts online doesn’t happen as it patently does.
It has happened yes. But the bigger picture is people being sacked for centuries for trade union activism, having the 'wrong' religion, wrong sexuality, wrong gender, through employer's blacklists etc etc. Whilst liberal politics and identity politics have been implicated in cancelling and even grassing, it's wrong to separate that out from the massively more significant issue of the powerful, the right and employers doing the 'cancelling'.

It has happened yes. But the bigger picture is people being sacked for centuries for trade union activism, having the 'wrong' religion, wrong sexuality, wrong gender, through employer's blacklists etc etc. Whilst liberal politics and identity politics have been implicated in cancelling and even grassing, it's wrong to separate that out from the massively more significant issue of the powerful, the right and employers doing the 'cancelling'.
I’m not sure I’m doing that tbh. The difference is workers getting other workers sacked over their online opinions. It’s worth talking about that even though we know the bosses do the same. It’s a collaboration with bosses to use boss power against someone you simply disagree with. Worse than scabbing really.

I’m not sure I’m doing that tbh. The difference is workers getting other workers sacked over their online opinions. It’s worth talking about that even though we know the bosses do the same. It’s a collaboration with bosses to use boss power against someone you simply disagree with.
I agree with you - of course - about workers collaborating with bosses to get people sacked. It's just that debates about 'cancel culture' always seem to become debates about social media, maybe intersectionality and other specific things, in the context of the 'culture wars' (yuk).. I just think that all those issues about using someone's beliefs or identities as a means of shutting them up or sacking them need to be put back into that deeper context. And when you do this, it's the right and the powerful who have been doing it. In fact they've often been able to do on the quiet, using the mechanisms of power they have access to and haven't always needed a public mobilisation.

Anyway I'm both conflating a few issues and digressing.

That’s fucking fantastic and needs to go viral.

Compare how well he speaks, how much he gets across in a short time and how clearly he makes his points; compare that to the content-free bluster and babble we get from politicians who are supposedly good at this stuff. People who unlike John Barnes have flunkies on fat salaries coaching them in how to speak like humans.

I can’t really be arsed getting into an argument about it tbh but it’s happened to at least one poster on here where their employer has been contacted for mischief making by a person unknown presumably to get them sacked. Maybe the term ‘cancel culture’ is what you object to and it isn’t a hill I’m willing to die on. But let’s not pretend that doxing and contacting employers over political posts online doesn’t happen as it patently does.

I think that's something fundamentally different from 'cancel culture' which, inasmuch as it's actually a thing, is usually an attempt to hold public figures accountable for statements made in public, often affecting people they have direct authority over.

I think that's something fundamentally different from 'cancel culture' which, inasmuch as it's actually a thing, is usually an attempt to hold public figures accountable for statements made in public, often affecting people they have direct authority over.
Interesting perspective, given others are arguing it doesn’t exist.

Compare how well he speaks, how much he gets across in a short time and how clearly he makes his points; compare that to the content-free bluster and babble we get from politicians who are supposedly good at this stuff. People who unlike John Barnes have flunkies on fat salaries coaching them in how to speak like humans.
Shows what's possible when you believe in what you are saying and have passion for your cause. Barnes has always been good at this stuff, but his clarity of speech here is a product of clarity of thought combined with clarity of morality.

Which is why I said 'inasmuch as it's actually a thing'. It's just a daft phrase that attempts to label legitimate criticism/protest as some systemic conspiracy against people with dodgy views. We could have a thread on it I suppose.
You can start it then. I’d get savaged. :D

Which is why I said 'inasmuch as it's actually a thing'. It's just a daft phrase that attempts to label legitimate criticism/protest as some systemic conspiracy against people with dodgy views. We could have a thread on it I suppose.
A. There is 'stuff' that's really un-PC, imagined (never happened) and incorrectly perceived as being un-PC.
B. There are people who get insensed about all of the above.
C. People who get insensed by B
D. James O'Brien getting insensed by C when A is the imagined.

There are many levels of people wishing that other people weren't dicks whilst being dicks themselves.
Too of the list being the people who don't even Snope shit before reposting.

Fq-N_GnXoAEaMfk

Yeah. Not that I’m siding against Lineker here — I’m firmly on his side of the fence. And I’m not saying I think it’s in any way right that my employer thinks it should own my private time. But that’s how it is

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom