Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

The easiest thing for the BBC to do at this point is to just do a u-turn. Surely even they can read the room by now. There's still time to save face.
I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't now tbf. "Capitulate" to Lineker & co and those screaming to destroy the BBC will increase their volume tenfold. Stick to their guns and it might well lead to much the same thing, albeit along a different road. Either way they've shot themselves in both feet, one arm and shit themselves.

I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't now tbf. "Capitulate" to Lineker & co and those screaming to destroy the BBC will increase their volume tenfold. Stick to their guns and it might well lead to much the same thing, albeit along a different road. Either way they've shot themselves in both feet, one arm and shit themselves.

I still think U-Turning is the better option. They will have egg on their face sure, but MOTD with presenters, pundits and interviews, is an instirution far more beloved by the nation at large than Suella Braverman and her cohort.

Usualy the ones who tweet at him "stick to the football Gary" etc
I once saw him on the street in London, at a time when he was getting a lot of the "stick to football" stuff thrown at him. He clocked that I had recognised him, and looked a bit like he was thinking "oh god, here we go again". I just gave him a big grin, and he went off looking relieved!

Fq7wLWKXwAA31Z2

Absolutely fuck Suarez, yes. Always. Since when does one piece of shit coming up (because of, oh I dunno, the context of the thread at the time) mean all other incidences of racism are forgiven? Tell me how exactly would Cavani have been relevant to the conversation? Did Henderson wear a shirt with him on as well? :rolleyes: give over. Any racist is a piece of shit, OBVIOUSLY.

Liverpool fan I'm guessing. Your club fucked up. Big time. Most have. It's apologised since, which Evra accepted, so have some humility about it yourself otherwise you're defensive yeah butting about racism and that's not a good look. Take it on trust from Millwall stock yeah :( you gotta be able to say when something was/is shit in your own camp otherwise you look like a dodgy apologist. It's the very basics of structural racism and white privilege.

Fuck me you can really see where the pubs kicked out on this thread can't you. Maybe I should have ignored that but ffs. And no, I can't sleep :mad:
Ok. I would question whether Suarez is a racist though. To the point of both Suarez and Cavani being completely baffled that it could be interpreted that way.

Ok. I would question whether Suarez is a racist though. To the point of both Suarez and Cavani being completely baffled that it could be interpreted that way.
It's not for them to say if they were racist. Racists don't usually think they're being racist even when they are. Can you please stop stinking up the thread defending the abhorrent Suarez from YEARS ago when there's more than likely a thread about it for you to go and post on. Ta

ETA Here you go Suarez gets 8 match ban

Wow. I was willing to give you the 1am benefit of the doubt, taking criticism of your team in a light-hearted post personally made me think you were tired and emotional, but no no you're just all up in here denying racism altogether. Gross. Sorry thread, I will ignore from now on.

BBC don't currently have a sports department. No TV, no 5 live, and even the sport website live text commentary - it's always done by a named individual, with back and forth from texters. Today there's no name attached, and the feed looks like it's coming from the news rather than the sport; factual stuff like teams announced, and re-hashes of other articles like yesterday's press conferences.

I know people get annoyed at Twitter posts but I find them useful on a thread such as this. The only football related person I follow is Lineker so don’t generally see footie stuff (unless one of my footie obsessed mates post it).

Wow. I was willing to give you the 1am benefit of the doubt, taking criticism of your team in a light-hearted post personally made me think you were tired and emotional, but no no you're just all up in here denying racism altogether. Gross. Sorry thread, I will ignore from now on.
Yes

That was unfathomable to many Uruguayans, who often use the word as a term of endearment.

Linguist Amparo Fernandez said the case was an example of attempts to “globalise meanings”, a task he said was impossible because it stripped words of their contexts.

“The person using it (Cavani) does not use it at all” as a racial insult, Fernandez told Reuters.

Fernandez said the Spanish Dictionary of Uruguay, a work of more than 10,000 words and phrases used mostly in the small South American nation, defines negrito in different ways, including as a habitual term of endearment.

and:

Ana Maria Soca, a 47-year old domestic worker, said the word “was a way of showing affection that mothers call their babies, no matter the colour of their skin”.

Back
Top Bottom