Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wikileaks - It's time to open the archives

Internet Censorship closing in.

It's been rather strange recently seeing all this truth on BBC News 24 (thanks to Wikileaks) For rolling news it does seem to be about two days behind what's going on with the whole saga though. apologies if some of the following is innacurate but i've been trying to piece together what's going on from various sources.

So at the same time as (under US pressure) INTERPOL put out an arrest warrant for Julian Assange for false accusations of rape that have already been answered a 'patriot hacker' called th3j35t3r brought down the Wiki site with a simple denial of service attack...later he put on twitter: (TWITTER? Do hackers use twitter nowadays???)

" www.wikileaks.org TANGO DOWN – for attempting to endanger the lives of our troops, 'other assets' & foreign relations"

Wikileaks said the site had been temporarily brought down by a 2 gigabits per second DDOS attack.(the equivalent of a movie every second)

The great hackers front door is kicked in 6 hours later by US law officials and all his equipment is confiscated.

Wikileaks goes back up shortly after and then today is attacked again by an unknown hacker but this time 10Gb attack...more than five times the original attack. This shuts Wikileaks down in the US and Europe all afternoon.

Then Amazon pull support

Tonight WikiLeaks put this out on their status on Facebook and the site is back up.....

"WikiLeaks is the first global Samizdat movement. The truth will surface even in the face of total annihilation"

I was thinking about how annoying it must be for governments not to have control of what people find out about and read online leading me to the conclusion that the age of the true internet and uncensored communication must be in danger.

Are these leaks the excuse government needs to start to censor? I see Obama got the right to use a kill switch for the internet a few months ago in the US senate. Is this just the beginning of the internet being brought under control??

The Serious Organised Crime Squad in the UK is now looking for him. To be fair it doesn't say actively. Not quite sure why they are charged with the duty though.

Oh well thats a relief...they aren't going do find him at Mcdonalds are they. they have more chance of finding the hamburglar.

Apparently he escaped arrest in the UK in recent days due to a fuck up with the warrant...he's still here in the South East somewhere.

(Reuters) - Wikileaks website founder Julian Assange is in Britain and police know his whereabouts but have refrained so far from acting on an international warrant for his arrest, a British newspaper said on Thursday.
The 39-year-old Australian, who founded the whistle-blowing website that has disclosed a trove of secret U.S. diplomatic cables, supplied British police with contact details upon his arrival in October, The Independent said. The newspaper cited police sources who said they knew where Assange was staying and had his telephone number. It added that it was believed he was in southeast England.
I can just see dibble ringing him.. er sir you wouldnt mind dropping in to...
ffs if they have his number they know exactly where he is
:facepalm:

His lawyers have said that the police know exactly where he is, and how to contact him should they want to. Except that there's no great reason to it seems.

Meanwhile, Amazon - who have quietly become the West's #1 data hosting company - have cut off access to Wikileaks files that they host apparently because some US politicians don't like it, in case the above wasn't quite appreciated. I know people don't read threads after all.

Looks like lives really couldbe lost due to these leaks :eek:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/849113-wikileaks-cable-whistleblower-should-be-executed

The culprit who leaked 250,000 US diplomatic cables to the WikiLeaks website should be executed, said presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee.

Mr Huckabee’s demand came as a senior adviser to Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper called for on-the-run WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to be killed.

‘I think Assange should be assassinated, actually,’ Tom Flanagan told Canadian TV. ‘I think Obama should put out a contract and maybe use a drone or something,’ he added.

Mr Flanagan later refused to retract the comment, adding: ‘I wouldn’t feel unhappy if Assange does disappear.’

You have to wonder if the current vehemence coming from the US is more to do with the upcoming business revelations.

I know it's bad form to link to other forums (so I'll break the link) but here's a good thread titled "Wilikeaks cable disclosure: What the media is not telling you"

A good collection of stuff which hasn't (yet) made the news
http://w ww.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread635669/pg1

well, there's an awful lot of stuff which will never make it into the media. (due to there being shit loads of cables to start with, and the D-notice)

Yes - the grauniad said on the first day that there was stuff they couldn't publish both because of the d-notice and also because of UK libel laws. I was kind of hoping that that stuff would be available from abroad.

His lawyers have said that the police know exactly where he is, and how to contact him should they want to. Except that there's no great reason to it seems.

Meanwhile, Amazon - who have quietly become the West's #1 data hosting company - have cut off access to Wikileaks files that they host apparently because some US politicians don't like it, in case the above wasn't quite appreciated.
and now amazon are facing a consumer boycott in return

Meanwhile, Amazon - who have quietly become the West's #1 data hosting company - have cut off access to Wikileaks files that they host apparently because some US politicians don't like it, in case the above wasn't quite appreciated. I know people don't read threads after all.

I haven't had any trouble accessing any of it. If they blocked it, it was almost immediately available elsewhere.

And that white hair.

Personally, the guy creeps me out. It's nothing to do with his politics it's just that anyone that looks so gormless and who's that self-destructive should be given a wide berth. I wouldn't want to get splattered with brains when he finally exits.

I know it's bad form to link to other forums (so I'll break the link) but here's a good thread titled "Wilikeaks cable disclosure: What the media is not telling you"

A good collection of stuff which hasn't (yet) made the news
http://w ww.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread635669/pg1

There's a hell of a lot of stuff in the WikiLeaks cables to go through and only a fraction has been released - I don't see much in that list that's more newsworthy than what's already been reported, except for maybe 'Mubarak Urged US to Allow Iraq Coup,' which seems to be getting a fair bit of attention in the MidEast. Stories like "US Giving Israel $30 Billion in Security Aid" were public knowledge a long time before the cables were leaked, and ones like "Israelis Want More Farsi-Language Voice of America Broadcasts" are about as earth-shattering as "Council Grits Roads."

Top be fair, if the council started gritting roads, (before snow fell) I'd be pretty fucking astounded :D

They moved it back to servers in Europe pretty quickly afterwards. They only recently moved it to Amazon when they were being DDoSed.

From what I've gathered, they have so many redundencies that there isn't a way to shut them down permanently. So I don't understand the flutter over Amazon. Why would anyone expect a large corporation to champion Wikileaks, when they're wellknown for towing the government line.

Back
Top Bottom