Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who's enjoying C4's coverage?

I've missed the last two hours of stuff to watch as I can only trim videos if it's not recording, so I've been going through hours and hours of stuff trimming and deleting. Right pain in the arse :mad:

It looks like the equivalent of the red button option is only available to people with Sky, Virgin and Freesat, which is a bit of a pisser. They could at least dump the endless repeats on E4 and More4 for a couple of weeks.
Yes, I am on Freesat and I think I get something extra but I have'nt tried it yet.

I caught Oscar Pistorius in a 200m heat earlier, he broke the world record, in a heat. I think the final is tommorrow.

Did Claire Balding only get recruited by C4 after all her plaudits at the Olympics, or was she already lined up?

Did Claire Balding only get recruited by C4 after all her plaudits at the Olympics, or was she already lined up?
As channel 4 have picked up a lot more racing from the BBC and Clare has moved to Channel 4 to cover those, I imagine it was already lined up.

Is she exclusive to C4 now?

C4 had really ceased to do any sport for the best part of a decade, save for their horse racing, but now with the Paralympics and last year's World Athletics, they seem to be upping their game. We can but hope that they bring back Jimbo and Gazetta.

I caught some of the blind football in the reception area where I work. Absolutely brilliant.

Re: OP, I've not enjoyed C4's coverage nearly as much as the Beebs, adverts being a major piss off.

The incomparable Clare Balding (and the half-decent Jonathan Edwards) aside, C4's coverage has been absolute tosh. Balding's co-presenter Ade is a charisma vacuum and the rest of the team have been even worse. The coverage team have been pants at letting us know what is going on. They don't even put up that little graphic to let you know who has won the swimming races. And their selection of events is terrible, so we'll have ten seconds of the end of something combined with 10 minutes of inane chat. To begin with, they were even telling us who had won things prior to showing us the clips!

Terrible, terrible coverage. The only thing it has been good for is reminding us how good the BBC are by comparison.

I'm watching on Freeview and have noticed that the sound seems slightly out of synch with the movement of their mouths, all other channels seem ok. This technical fault makes it even worse (maybe it's just a freeview/btvision problem). The adverts are on too often, very annoying when a swimming race is kicking off and you don't know whe the non-British competitors are. I don't find Ade that bad, I'd rather have him that that slimy Lineker.

Oh, kabbes, I like Ade Adepitan, I don't watch him very often but when I do he seems to know his stuff where disabled sports and classifications are concerned.

Oh, kabbes, I like Ade Adepitan, I don't watch him very often but when I do he seems to know his stuff where disabled sports and classifications are concerned.
He keeps doing to a conversation what it normally takes a concrete block to do to a train.

Coverage is dire. Best thing about the Paralympics is The Last Leg (although unfortunately that also has adverts) :D

Coverage is dire. Best thing about the Paralympics is The Last Leg (although unfortunately that also has adverts) :D

I like the last leg.

Is it ok to ask: how does a Chinese swimmer with no arms get out of the swimming pool?
They asked that question last night or the night before - BUT THERE WAS NO ANSWER!!! :)

I like the last leg.

Is it ok to ask: how does a Chinese swimmer with no arms get out of the swimming pool?
They asked that question last night or the night before - BUT THERE WAS NO ANSWER!!! :)

They showed the answer. They showed a clip of one climbing out of the water

I think the coverage is ok, a bit annoying at times. I'm prepared to cut channel 4 some slack on the grounds that they've not gone the easy route and just got a load of old pro presenters like Jim Rosenthal etc, they've tried to be inclusive and in that way I think it showed courage. Turning sports stars into accomplished presenters is never easy, the beeb spent a small fortune on Lineker before letting him near a camera and even then he was rubbish to start with, C4 were never going to have the budget for that.

Talking of budget, the beeb can chuck a lot more money at these things so comparisons are perhaps a little harsh. Also it appears that there are a lot move events to cover in the paralympics because of all the different classifications, also there is a lot more British involvement so they are constantly having to dart from one event to another. Of course they would have more time if they wernt trying to show so many adverts which has been the worse part. With all the events and adverts its no wonder it seems rushed and disjointed at times.

So all in all, a decent attempt, particuarly because they have never done anything like this before. Personally I think its a very good thing that a national broadcaster with a limited sport history is prepared to essentially clear their schedules for the Paralympics, in the US not one broadcaster has ever brought the rights to show on TV, you have to go on-line to watch it.

I think the coverage is ok, a bit annoying at times. I'm prepared to cut channel 4 some slack on the grounds that they've not gone the easy route and just got a load of old pro presenters like Jim Rosenthal etc, they've tried to be inclusive and in that way I think it showed courage. Turning sports stars into accomplished presenters is never easy, the beeb spent a small fortune on Lineker before letting him near a camera and even then he was rubbish to start with, C4 were never going to have the budget for that.

Talking of budget, the beeb can chuck a lot more money at these things so comparisons are perhaps a little harsh. Also it appears that there are a lot move events to cover in the paralympics because of all the different classifications, also there is a lot more British involvement so they are constantly having to dart from one event to another. Of course they would have more time if they wernt trying to show so many adverts which has been the worse part. With all the events and adverts its no wonder it seems rushed and disjointed at times.

So all in all, a decent attempt, particuarly because they have never done anything like this before. Personally I think its a very good thing that a national broadcaster with a limited sport history is prepared to essentially clear their schedules for the Paralympics, in the US not one broadcaster has ever brought the rights to show on TV, you have to go on-line to watch it.

The biggest difference is that the BBC at least had more than one Channel available for people who only have Freeview. Channel 4 could have dedicated Channel 4 and More 4. Not everyone's got the internet to watch live streaming, and most people are working. At least they'd have been able to video loads more to watch later. There's loads I'd have liked to have watch but haven't

Final 3 minutes of the very close wheelchair rugby semi-final between USA and Canada and they decide they have to switch to swimming :mad:

Ridiculous. I can't get para3 or whatever on freeview, and the laptop is in use (on my phone now). Can someone update the final score here pls?

Ridiculous. I can't get para3 or whatever on freeview, and the laptop is in use (on my phone now). Can someone update the final score here pls?
Was doing it in the chit-chat thread. USA 49 Canada 50. Canada had a turnover with about a minute to go, 2 US players were on the side and Canada ran down the clock until they scored the final point with 0.5 seconds left.

didn't realise I was watching it on +1 and just ruined the final score :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom