Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How much are you enjoying the Olympics?

How much are you enjoying the Olympics?

• Total voters
I think the all-round coverage combining both online and, what, something like 25 TV channels, as well as a dedicated radio channel plus five-live has been peerless, actually. I've found it very easy to always be clued up with exactly what's happening. Having a live updating sailing leaderboard up whilst watching the rowing on channel 156 and listening to five-live, for example, has been great.

I think the all-round coverage combining both online and, what, something like 25 TV channels, as well as a dedicated radio channel plus five-live has been peerless, actually. I've found it very easy to always be clued up with exactly what's happening. Having a live updating sailing leaderboard up whilst watching the rowing on channel 156 and listening to five-live, for example, has been great.

How the fuck do you do that? Ive been searching their website and striuggling to even find out the state of play in sailing!

How the fuck do you do that? Ive been searching their website and striuggling to even find out the state of play in sailing!
Olympic Sports --> Sailing --> Events and Results --> (e.g.) Men's Finn --> Results (in top-left corner)

If you then click on a race currently in progress, it shows you the latest standings through each marker, which updates in real-time.

bbc coverage has been chocked full of simpering fools using too many superlatives and who the hell is the blonde lady who does the round up it's like she's been given an intravenous of MDMA she is clearly only there for the US viewers on BBC world, the over simplification of the sports, the constant telethon type back stories which aren't really insightful at all, the tourists not knowing what they hell they're doing on the tube, the constant it's ok to be a patriot musings of people who really should know better, the exclusions zones preventing people from using their local facilities, the difficulty in getting around in the 'olympic' boroughs, the irreplaceable loss of local wet and marshland for car parks for people who cannot even be arsed to turn up for their seats , having to put up with being told how lucky we are to have an olympics... the lot...

Not loving it, the legacy we get from it is even more national debt and being on the hook for council tax hikes to pay for the up keep of abandoned and not fit for any other purpose Olympic sites.

Can't wait until the stadium is empty personally and then see the squat party which will take place in it after it's abandoned like so many olympic sites before it... that'll be good... the rest just needs to fuck off frankly....

bbc coverage has been chocked full of simpering fools using too many superlatives and who the hell is the blonde lady who does the round up it's like she's been given an intravenous of MDMA she is clearly only there for the US viewers on BBC world
Do you mean Hazel irvine? She is the scurge of british sports and manages to ruin everything for me, but unfortuantely the Beeb seem to think she is the dogs bollocks.

Do you mean Hazel irvine? She is the scurge of british sports and manages to ruin everything for me, but unfortuantely the Beeb seem to think she is the dogs bollocks.
no idea of her name I'm afraid she seems nice enough but sounds like a female William Hauge, has a drone in her voice like all from that part of Yorkshire really, but then is saccharin in all of her comments and so overly excited you have to wonder at times if she's got love eggs in or is hooked up to some kind of electro-stimulation which jolts her very time she's less than overly enthusiastic. To me it has all the presenting hallmarks of a primary school teacher trying to get a group of inner city kids excited about the dullest part of life.

It's irritating, feels like condescension, seems false and forced...

Stop using the incredibly irritating phrase 'Team gb' and we'll all be a lot happier. I think the BBC coverage online has been astonishing and I've enjoyed the sport a lot even if on a broader scale I agree with some of the reservations about the funding and corporate aspects of the games. That aside the Olympics is always great because you see drama and a load of world class sports people you didn't know existed.

I think he means Gaby Logan.

As it happens, I think Gaby Logan and Hazel Irvine are both fantastic sports presenters, although the Olympics Tonight programme is a bit crap.

I think he means Gaby Logan.

As it happens, I think Gaby Logan and Hazel Irvine are both fantastic sports presenters, although the Olympics Tonight programme is a bit crap.

I think Gabby Logan is great, very knowledgeable. Irvine on the other hand is just a whiny scot, the female equivalent of Jim Rosenthal.

yeah how come those aussies are winning fuck all, aren't they all sporty outdoors fucks over there. I mean if they can't even do sports well what's the point in them, exporting overly familiar/cocky bar staff?

Too busy feeding babies to dingos, being racist and drinking shit beer to export annoying but sickenly attractive bar staff.

That guy from Blue Peter was actually quite knowledgeable about gymnastics. Matt baker?

He competed for Britain as a junior gymnast, so that's why he knows his stuff on that front. When he had to give gymnastics up, went in for pole vaulting and sheep dog trials. He has also presented "One Man and his Dog".
Diverse talents!

This Olympics has certainly seen the BBC women beat the BBC men hands down. As well as Gaby, there is the peerless Claire Balding, the calm Mishal Hussain and the smooth Sonali Shah. Versus John Inverdale and Gary Linekar.

*ahem* I'd like to thank coverage of the olympics for 4 postcard art ideas and one fully completed work in progress so far. :cool:

im enjoying the continual references being made to the amount of investment (mostly lottery funding) over the years which has allowed britain to improve from four and five gold medals in the 70s and 80s to where we are now. it is working out to be an excellent example for the next time some tory argues "you can't just throw money at a problem..."

Suprisingly really enjoying it. I love watching athletics. I think I enjoy looking at all the different physiques, I find it quite facinating. It would be good to find a glamorous discus thrower or shot putter.

Some of the sports baffle me as in do not make sense-I see sport as a competition in survival skills so get running and jumping and swiming and throwing stuff and cycling but table tennis and beach volley ball?? all good though...:)

How do you get all the dedicated BBC channels - I can't seem to get it to work...

Loved Andy Murray demolishing Federer like that. Amazing stuff.

I work with Clare Balding's wife, Alice Arnold, who's also terrific. Mishal Hussain has been the big surprise of the BBC presenting team for me.

Just let Clare Balding do it all. She's fab.:cool:
I agree! Have always enjoyed watching her present the horse racing as she has an in depth knowledge of that, not surprising given her background, but she has really shown her enthusiasm and delight of sport in general during the Olympics and it's been great.

She also seems really at ease with people especially when interviewing them, an all round good egg I'd say!

How do you get all the dedicated BBC channels - I can't seem to get it to work...

Loved Andy Murray demolishing Federer like that. Amazing stuff.
on your lap top via the BBC sports site - or via Sky or via PS3 - go on to the BBC Sports site via the PS3 and you can access them - I don't think you can get them via freeview

Back
Top Bottom