Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why are India so rubbish at the Olympics?

Perhaps they don't have a national lottery.

And just who decided that UK lottery money could be redirected to sports instead of the other worthy causes that it had been funding!?

This was one of the founding principles of the lottery.

On the flipside who wants to pick a sparsly populated country and represent them in Rio? I'd expect you'd have to fund your own training/ hotels/ flights though. I'm picking Antartica, going to enter myself in the following sports for a laff: 100m, 200m, 400, 800m, 1500m, 5km, 10km, 3km steeplechase, K1, C1 er anything else I can try? :D

At a guess I'd say a total lack of investment in sport beyond Cricket, which is pretty mujch the only game in town. India produces some good Hockey teams I think.

and kabaddi isn't an olympic sport ...

Its not just the Olympics, though.

Cricket aside, you don't see many Indian sportsmen and women at top levels in most sports and games.

Some of this can be put down to most people being desperately poor, and lack of facilities and support, but not all.

Different cultural attitudes to sport and fitness generally? I dunno....

Giles..

Has anyone said yet that maaybe some countries don't really give a fuck about the Olympics and much as the big powers plus GB and Australia do?

What I find odd is that india's doing so badly when kazakhstan is doing so well, despite having the same disadvantages as india and being a fair bit poorer.

Back
Top Bottom