Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How much are you enjoying the Olympics?

How much are you enjoying the Olympics?

• Total voters
One of my new favourite things about these games is how astonishingly bad the NBC coverage is, compared to the BBC who are (with only a couple of exceptions) showing exactly how a massive sporting event like this should be covered.

I feel like posting it on facebook - no shortage of work colleagues taking a time out from posting their usual racist shit to congratulate everyone :rolleyes:

One of my new favourite things about these games is how astonishingly bad the NBC coverage is, compared to the BBC who are (with only a couple of exceptions) showing exactly how a massive sporting event like this should be covered.

I've been reading heaps and heaps of praise for the BBC coverage and loads about the appalling NBC coverage. I feel sorry for the Americans :D

I dislike the concept of celebrity - but these folk are admired for actually doing amazing things. Also they are brilliant role model for girls to be admired for what their bodies can do and not for what they look like...I was sceptical but now enjoying it.

and maybe when they see how "fat" Jessica is, they'll start thinking it ain't such a bad thing :D

They didn't exactly excel themselves this evo imo. Down to the last few minutes of the longjump with an unexpected gold extremely likely, but let's stick with the golden girl walking around all smiley waving her flag.

They didn't exactly excel themselves this evo imo. Down to the last few minutes of the longjump with an unexpected gold extremely likely, but let's stick with the golden girl walking around all smiley waving her flag.

Probably still better than NBC though

That was just the main channel though - on the others and at the same time you could watch the boxing, basketball, beach volleyball, handball, hockey, the end of the swimming, volleyball and the syncronised clowing from Cardiff; all free to licence-fee payers and all live.

Watching the highlights, it struck me again just how close Mo F's head rolled to his training partner's impressive load of fresh gob that he'd just spat violently. A proper cuckoo spit.

Actually, I'll move this post to the "best moments of the Olympics" thread.

I have no doubt at all that there are certain brainless half wits who would tell you that a Somali born Muslim has no place calling himself British and that because he is a Somali born Muslim, he is shite.

The nice person in me feels sorry for such tragically thick, miserable, loathsome bastards. The "I think the Olympics are stupendous" part of me thinks we should line them up against a wall at Lords and let the sharp shooters do away with them.
Just remember Mo will wake up later on today an Olympic Gold medal winner and a British sporting hero,the brainless half wits will always be a bunch of fucking no- mark brainless half wits forever stewing in their own ignorance and stupidy.

I Don't like it but if i ignore all the guff,pomp,waste and money - it is good, i surprised myself.

My mum has put union flags on her summerhouse and listens to the events on the radio whilst she is in there, disgustingly middle class :(

i don't rightly know. we've been in france since Monday morning, and i've watched some french coverage - so just seeing sporty people win things, rather than the nationalistic belonging... and i have enjoyed the competitors' clear emotional extremes.

i usually hate sport, but i kind of get the 'training every waking moment to be the fastest or whatever, and this is the very big deal that you'l probably only get three shots at in your whole career'... emotionally it couldn't be higher stakes for every one of them, and they do mostly seem very likeable. compared with most sportspeople who make it onto my radar: bratty, obscenely overpaid footballers, with the morals of an alleycat and the tendency to take dives etc...

and i think a race or a contest of individual skill or one-on-one combat is more interesting to me than a *game*. Perhaps because it's easier to understand.

anyway, we returned home today, and i watched from just after ennis had won gold - the longjump and mo farrah(sp), and it was again, enormously inspiring and impossibly emotional. the roar of the crowd... i can see why it's important for us to hold tournaments every so often because otherwise our sportspeople would never feel that home crowd cheering for them - the home crowd clearly makes it mor special, even more emotional... which is just lovely.

But it's probably also easier to like because we stand a chance of winning. maybe i'd like football more if we didn't always lose. :hmm: nah. don't like cricket either...

Aussies have 1 gold medal.:D They was taking the piss after day 3 saying poms cant win any golds.14 GOLD MEDALS BITCH,ES.

yeah how come those aussies are winning fuck all, aren't they all sporty outdoors fucks over there. I mean if they can't even do sports well what's the point in them, exporting overly familiar/cocky bar staff?

Take away there sports and the aussie dont have much to cling to.Apparrently the chinese are paying aussie coaches up to 250 large for each gold medal.

I have no doubt at all that there are certain brainless half wits who would tell you that a Somali born Muslim has no place calling himself British and that because he is a Somali born Muslim, he is shite..

As I watched this guy win the 10k, I was thinking that maybe a few things like this will help make a dent in the minds of the anti-immigration fascists.

I dislike the concept of celebrity - but these folk are admired for actually doing amazing things. Also they are brilliant role model for girls to be admired for what their bodies can do and not for what they look like...I was sceptical but now enjoying it.

Also, think about it: there was a female on the Saudi team. Like Rogge said, it's the first time that every team had a female member. It's a matter of pride for the advancement in the world, and a moment of shame, pondering that this is the first time that it's happened.

It must be a little hard to watch and support GB olympic TEAM for the far right fellas.They must have there own medal tally.​

As for me I'm fucking loving it. How about you?
Pretty much loving it too, and it's real cool living in and being a Londoner at the moment, it is all of the time, but right now even more so.

I have the added bonus of having both my sisters and their 4 kids staying with us at the moment too, 1 sis and her 2 are over from the US and my other with her 2 from Ireland, the house has folk coming and going all the time, all based around the games.

It's great, and watching Jessica in the 800 last night to seal her gold with all the pressure on her, then seeing Mo deliver was absolutely brilliant.

The problem with the games ending, is there's been this big buildup for years: then, the Games are lots of fun. Then... it's over, and it's like: now what?

As I've said before, I highly recommend the Paralympic Games that follow. They keep the spirit alive, it's good to support the athletes, and they compete their fucking asses off. :)

I like the sport, hate the rest of the fawning over that naff Americanism, 'Team GB' and people crying over us winning medals, a bit 1984.

Except that thanks to their amazing all-round coverage, I was able to stream the long jump live* on the computer whilst enjoying Ennis taking her plaudits. Then the same stream allowed me to watch Rutherford doing his lap of honour whilst watching Mo on the TV.

*Alternatively, I could have just switched to one of the other BBC Olympic channels, where they were also showing the long jump in full.

Result: I didn't miss a thing!

I agree, i think their cobverage has been dreadful. I am sure I had a better idea of when finals were coming up,how we were getting on in sailing events etc 4 years ago. The disrespect they showed the gold medal in long jumo was unforgiveable. Even on news headlines it said gold for Ennos, Gold for farah, and by the way gold in long jump-didnt even name the athlete!

Back
Top Bottom