Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Olympics Are Utter Shit...

:(
If I was a graffiti artist, retired or otherwise I might be inclined to take it as a hint to go on a graffiti spree with a particular emphasis on the more negative aspects of the Olympic Games. I wonder if Mau Mau has been visited or indeed if the artwork I posted upthread is still there?

A real life barbra streisand effect. That would be well funny.

So Surrey Council has spent a fortune resurfacing the roads for the cycling, that's a good thing as they needed doing anyway.

To help the cyclists along they have removed a load of traffic calming measures. Locog are now backing down on their promise to pay for them to be re-installed, citing the fact that the taxpayers of Surrey should be honoured to have a whole weekend when they can't get anywhere cos the roads will be shut all fucking day just for those 2 minutes as the cyclists steam through :mad:

The Olympic Spirit, British Style: When Will This Nightmare End?

While the world’s athletes limber up at the Olympic Park, Londoners are practicing some of their own favorite sports: complaining, expecting the worst and cursing the authorities.
Asked “What do you feel about the Olympics?” the other day, a random sampling of people here gave answers that included bitter laughter; the words “fiasco,” “disaster” and “police state”; and detailed explanations of how they usually get to work, how that is no longer possible and how very unhappy that makes them.

Even in the best of times, whinging, as Britons call the persistent low-grade grousing that is their default response to life’s challenges, is part of the national condition — as integral to the country’s character as its Eeyoreish attitude toward the weather (“Start Planning for Floods,” The Daily Mail advised recently)

However they do then go on to say
“We’re looking at something above and beyond the solace and comfort that the British seek in gentle moaning,” said Dan Hancox, 31, a freelance writer. “The Olympics is actively antagonizing people.”

On Twitter, Mr. Hancox said that for Londoners, “it’s as if someone else is throwing a party in our house, with a huge entry fee, and we’re all locked in the basement.”

Yes, and the previous quotes seem to be suggesting that "complaining, expecting the worst and cursing the authorities" is a bad trait, particularly with the government we have at the moment.

The Independent article I thought made a telling point -

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...anding-my-rules-are-being-abused-7962593.html

For the Diamond Jubile"e the streets and shop windows were covered in Union Jacks, Will and Kate mugs, tea towels and the like. This time round "you don't see any references to the Games in shop windows or on the streets – people are too scared", one small business owner was reported as saying by The New York Times."

Yes, and the previous quotes seem to be suggesting that "complaining, expecting the worst and cursing the authorities" is a bad trait, particularly with the government we have at the moment.

The Independent article I thought made a telling point -

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...anding-my-rules-are-being-abused-7962593.html
They seem to be determined to kill off any sort of spontaneous celebration of the Olympics, by force of law. It's quite amazing. Combine that with shit pay and conditions for Olympic staff and the general use of volunteers vs the vast profits being made and the tax breaks (the latter in this political/economic climate!) and large areas of the city being blocked off to "little people" and the message is "these are our games and we're taking what we want for them, nothing to do with you, piss off".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18954375

London 2012: Badminton teams in hotel food poisoning

Five members of Australia and Canada's badminton teams were among a number of guests who fell ill with food poisoning at a hotel in Derbyshire.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) investigated when guests had stomach bugs after eating at the Mickleover Court Hotel, Derby, last week.

It said norovirus had been identified as the cause of the infection.

The Olympics Are Utter *runny* Shit...

Seriously though, like if I decided to sit down and make a list of the most unethical corporations that I could think of, I would have unwittingly written down the names of most of the Olympic sponsors. Strange innit.

I got sent by my company to go work in Walthamstow on Saturday at the Olympic torch thing. Thousands of people waiting there all day just to see some old man with a torch for two minutes. Fucking pathetic. At least i was getting paid to be there.

Boris is on the bus telling everyone to expect disruption to our journeys during the Babylompics, can't describe how irritating it is!

Boris is on the bus telling everyone to expect disruption to our journeys during the Babylompics, can't describe how irritating it is!
Heard that yesterday afternoon, just the once. Once too often. I didn't enjoy being barked at and told to check the tfl site before every journey in order to avoid getting trapped. :mad:

Heard that yesterday afternoon, just the once. Once too often. I didn't enjoy being barked at and told to check the tfl site before every journey in order to avoid getting trapped. :mad:
Exactly, like its going to be your own fault if you didn't check a bloody website before you go out. HIGNFY has got a lot to answer for.

Back
Top Bottom