Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who lives in a van? Or wants to?

David Clapson

Van Life is apparently a big thing. Anyone keen? Maybe it will get more popular post-pandemic....wfh in your van. I'm toying with the idea of using a van as a mobile base for cycling in sundry parts of Europe. Sublet the flat and hit the road for 6 months. I'd take my cat. That's probably half the reason for doing it. I can't leave her, and I won't put her on planes, and travelling with her on a touring bike would be very awkward sometimes. I'm envisaging an ordinary van with a mattress, shower, coffee maker and microwave. Not a fully fitted camper van. They always seem to be about recreating a kitchen, with a table for four. That would be wasted on me.

I'd love to get a half decent camper van but I wouldn't want to live in it. I'm also sure that any van I could afford would be a nightmare for breakdowns. Is there a van out there that is reliable and cheap?

Some of them seem to rack up a six figure mileage. Perhaps they are more robust than cars?
They are a van. Ten year design life tops.
If you are serious maybe consider trying life in one very small room first. You will have to jettison a lot of possessions.
Without a loo you will have problems inc most women will run a mile.

They are a van. Ten year design life tops.
If you are serious maybe consider trying life in one very small room first. You will have to jettison a lot of possessions.
Without a loo you will have problems inc most women will run a mile.
I've done long cycle camping trips, carrying a lot less than I would in a van, and sleeping in a small tent. And using the great outdoors as a loo. I'd take my camping gear so I could park the van for a week and go cyclecamping.

I'd leave most of my possessions in the attic.

Couple of years ago now took a breather on the bike in late evening to discover the car park wasn't empty, some bloke had his transit van door open and was doing a brew up on his camping stove while sitting on his mattress.

Travelling around Europe in a camper van sounds pretty cool. Travelling around Europe in a transit van with a pissed stained mattress and a slops bucket in the back, less so.
The driving experience and the sleeping experience would be the same. At other times, the secret is not to be in the van. Otherwise you might as well stay at home. I'd be off cycling and camping, with the cat. Maybe I'd have a big enough van to take my motorbike too. I haven't yet taken the cat cycling or motorcycling, but she loves the tube and bus and car journeys, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'd love to do it, and funnily enough so would my partner. Often fantasised about it. Been driving all over Europe, West Wales to Split/Portugal kind of thing but it's only been in a car with a tent. What you notice is that Europeans (especially the Germans and Dutch) have a much bigger culture of campervans etc. Massive envy. I would need more comfort than the OP is suggesting, but nothing stupid. It's still generally expensive. I like the use of space in the van Bahnhof Strasse linked to. And it was cheaper than I'd guessed. But at around 44K (their prices don't include VAT) it's a dream unless we sell the house. Which I might.

just a thought - what's the post-brexit deal about kitties travelling in / out of the UK? has the 'pet passport' thing gone? would they need to be quarantined or what?

i'm aware there was some mention of this before december, but not currently having a cat or the time / energy to travel, i didn't really follow it

I have a van and parking up overnight anywhere without paying is becoming much harder. You used to be able to park overnight on top of the cliff in a couple of places here but they've banned it now.

They've also banned it in Portugal - so you can only stay in campsites. Germany/Austria and Spain aren't bad still and you have Aires in France.

You'd need decent solar panels and gas powered cooking and fridge. Heating and cooling absolutely canes electric

Travelling around Europe in a camper van sounds pretty cool. Travelling around Europe in a transit van with a pissed stained mattress and a slops bucket in the back, less so.
Lots of musicians start out like this. john x used to drive bands like this but I’m sure the mattress was not piss stained.

It's a terrible idea. Life would become all about driving and parking hassles. And for what? So you can sit in a box and make lasagne? Just save the $1.2m and go to restaurants.

You can get a mean lasagne for about 6 euros in Italy.

Back
Top Bottom