Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which band "break-up" most affected you?

Hollis

bloody furious
I seem to have got embroiled in a small part of music twitter full of guys still banging on about Steve Hackett leaving Genesis.

I mean Christ guys, it was 47 years ago...get over it.. :facepalm:

For me the Smiths splitting was probably the worse. I guess If we include deaths then Kort Cobain killing himself comes a close second..

Pat the Bunny retiring is the first one that comes to mind for me. Still gutted I never got to see the Long Blondes live, there must be others... the Spook School breaking up definitely felt like a "everything is getting shitter all the time and here is another example of that" moment.

Think Hugh Cornwell leaving The Stranglers is the only one that's had a real effect on me.

Saw their last gig (I think it was their last gig together) at Ally Pally and that was it with them.
Couldn't name any of their singers or a single tune of theirs after that.

Was moderately irked about the Sisters of Mercy, especially when Children, Gift and Floodland were all so disappointing by comparison with First and Last and Always. And Ian Curtis’s death was retrospectively quite a blow given that I heard New Order before Joy Division.

Whatever chemistry makes a band great, it doesn't seem to last more than a decade and in my opinion the most interesting period is the period when they haven't quite worked out how to slot together. Hackett era Genesis is as good a case in point as any. Nursery Cryme was flawed but different and interesting whereas Wind and Wuthering was pleasant but not in anyway vital. A few years back Steve Hackett and his brother John recorded an album of Satie covers which was pretty damn good and much more interesting than whatever half arsed version of prog rock Genesis including Hackett would be making now.

Bands splitting though someone's death is one thing, its not really being upset about the band splitting up (well, mostly not, anyway).

Just plain old split? The most irritating and slightly upsetting one was Husker Du, just after I'd got tickets for them with Inner City Unit supporting. That was bloody annoying.

Last edited:
when the beatles broke up one of my buddies said "SEE I TOLD YOU SO" and he was right, becuase i'd denied that it was going to happen. so it affected me that i was wrong and couldn't deny it.

Bands splitting though someone death is one thing, its not really being upset about the band splitting up (well, mostly not, anyway).

Just plain old split? The most irritating and slightly upsetting one was Husker Du, just after I'd got tickets for them with Inner City Unit supporting. That was bloody annoying.
I still listen to Grant Hart.

Never bands are like No 9 buses, there will be another one along I quite like to listen to shortly. Beside it doesn't affect me directly, it's not like someone will come round and demand I hand over my copies of any of their albums.

I was a thrown by the spectacular implosion of the Sex Pistols, and how it exposed the whole charade.

Death wise, Ian Curtis' death had the biggest impact.

Back
Top Bottom