Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which band "break-up" most affected you?

Blanck Mass is Ben Power's solo project, whereas Fuck Buttons is him with Andrew Hung. Hung's released some solo stuff, but it's not as good as Power's. His stuff is damn good, but I don't think he'll ever top Tarot Sport.

Relistening to everything Power has done, up to but certainly not including Editors, over the last few days, and if I was going to preserve just one of his albums for the future benefit of humanity it would 100% be Dumb Flesh.

The Jam. Was very upset by this when I was a kid as I was totally obsessed with them and I thought I'd never get to see them live. However, they played St Austell on the Beat Surrender tour and were ace. My Dad took me. Three quid, it cost. Fucking brilliant.

I'm just remembering that gig now and the bit that really sticks in my head is watching a couple of thousand people leap up in unison and bellow:

"Cos I hate you and I hate your wife and if I get a chance I'll FUCK UP YOUR LIFE" :D

I was 14, I think. Ace gig.

The Smiths affected me at the time because I was 16, but I was less upset than some people I knew. Otherwise I'm not phased if bands disband. It's usually the right time or too late.

Bit different, but two things I did find sad were finding out that Alex from the Shop Assistants had quietly died young unbeknown to pretty much everyone and that half of Bog-shed (and now three-quarters of them) had similarly gone too early. Terribly under-rated band.

The Jam. Was very upset by this when I was a kid as I was totally obsessed with them and I thought I'd never get to see them live. However, they played St Austell on the Beat Surrender tour and were ace. My Dad took me. Three quid, it cost. Fucking brilliant.
If I remember rightly, I paid about 50p to see the Jam :thumbs: There were four or five other bands on the same bill as well.

I was upset when Shara Nelson left Massive Attack. They have been amazing with guest singers but imagine another three or four Unfinished Sympathy level performances. An interesting alternate timeline. Robert de Naja says he cried when she left.

Back
Top Bottom