Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which band "break-up" most affected you?

I was quietly pleased when The Smiths split as that meant I'd been at their last ever gig, at Brixton Academy in Dec 86.

Most disappointing band break up was Microdisney, but at least I did get to see their reunion show a few years ago.

The worst death was Alice Coltrane as I had a ticket to see her play the Barbican a few weeks later.

For me, the break-up of the original Human League (with Ian Craig Marsh and Martyn Ware) was a metaphorical body-blow. I was a massive fan of their music.

Admittedly they went on to form Heaven 17 who also created some brilliant music too.

But there was nothing ever again quite like the original HL... :(

belboid makes a very relevant point about the death of a member versus a split. ,
Dunno about affect me but there are bands that I think could have pushed on that I like and I was sad when they stopped . On the other hand some bands can't sustain the standard of their first or second album, some bands are great simply because they stop when they have, in hindsight reached their pinnacle. I'm also sceptical of most, not all, reunions. However to answer the question.

Talk Talk
The Sound
The Chameleons
The Organ
King Crimson ( although each incarnation turned out to be brilliant in their own right)
Possibly Genesis
Dexy's

Strummer and Simenon giving Mick the boot from the Clash was a bit of a shock, but I got over it the very afternoon that I heard.

I saw the new lineup at Manchester Apollo. It was actually quite good, but that final album was just a bit odd, albeit with one or two good moments.

Think Hugh Cornwell leaving The Stranglers is the only one that's had a real effect on me.

Saw their last gig (I think it was their last gig together) at Ally Pally and that was it with them.
Couldn't name any of their singers or a single tune of theirs after that.
I'm reading his book at the moment. I think the Stranglers were great but their music could be quite patchy. I couldn't name any post Hugh singers or hum any songs.

Hugh was the first celebrity I saw in real life. I was 15 or 16 and had gotten into a nightclub pretending I was older (or they just didn't care). I picked up one of Hughs discarded fag butts and kept it for several months until I realised I was being stupid.

I was gutted when Death Grips broke up in 2014, but that didn't really last for too long.

Led Zep splitting after John Bonham’s death somewhat upset me at the time but John Lennon getting shot was truly traumatic for a young Beatlemaniac.

Was moderately irked about the Sisters of Mercy, especially when Children, Gift and Floodland were all so disappointing by comparison with First and Last and Always.

It'll be 40 years next year since FALAA, and Eldritch, Hussey, Marx and Adams have collectively failed to release anything even close to it in the proceeding period. Not sure I'd trust them to now mind...

When Madness called it a day in 1986 I did cry at the end of their last TOTP performance. Bedders turned his guitar over and it had 'The End' written on it. I was heartbroken. I was pretty sad when Barson left them a couple of years before that, and when Chas grew a beard and started wearing sandals.

Well, they came back and ain't gone away since; so all is right in my world. Their first proper single after they got back in the studio seriously together was 'Lovestruck in 1999; and it was a cracker of a tune from a really strong comeback album. They've just this year had the first number album of their career. There's hope for them yet!

They've been with me since I was 8. When they go next time I'm going with them.

Last edited:
Tbf, there's a lot of bands that have gone downhill over the years, while still retaining a keen interest in the properties of substances.

Back
Top Bottom