Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How many Band T-shirts do you own?

Band T-Shirt Audit

• Total voters
Wearing an Aphex Twin T-shirt right now.

Weird, because at some point in my mid 30s I put all the old ones from the 80s and 90s in the loft on the basis I was now too old for such things.

Not sure what happened, but about 10 years later I had a 'fuck it' moment and started wearing my old Beat Happening one and I've never looked back:

Yeah, I went through a similar shift from thinking I was too old for band shirts to not giving a fuck - another 20 years and I might be wearing a battle jacket, though it probably won't include many of these bands

1716232614743.png

More than I thought, lost/got rid of so many great tees.

The ones I still have that I can recall off the top of my head.

Ancient originals:
  • Pigbag (1982)
  • Mark Stewart and the Maffia (1985)
  • Sigue Sigue Sputnik (1987)
  • Tackhead (1989)
  • Cabaret Voltaire (1990)

Last 25 years:
  • Chin (1998?)
  • New Order (Doc Martens)
  • Creepshow
  • Wrangler
  • Yard Act
  • Snapped Ankles
  • Dubstar
  • (British) Sea Power
  • The Pop Group (x2 or 3)
  • Voice of the Beehive
  • Twelve Hour Foundation
  • Devo

Labels:
  • On-U Sound (x3)
  • Warp
  • Factory Benelux
  • Ninja Tune
  • Mute / The Normal
(Edits because I keep remembering others I still have)

Last edited:
Used to have loads but I always bought the bootleg ones and they all fell apart from overuse down the years.

I think the only one I still have is a glow in the dark Spiritualized one.

Me: three Mogwai ones, one each Joy Division, Idlewild and Slowdive.

My kids among the three of them have Mogwai, Iron Maiden, Smashing Pumpkins, Korn (self-painted), Dead Kennedys, New Order, Elliot Smith, Foo Fighters, Motorhead, Slint, Mass of Fermenting Dregs, Bug Bus Piano and probably several more that I can't pull to mind at the moment. We like bands.

I made the mistake of looking up the prices of some of the old shirts I used to have.
Original Beastie Boys “Fight for your right” goes for many hundred.
Others I’ve never seen since.

not enough pics on the thread

my original 88 Soul II Soul tshirt bit the dust recently, had to be binned. RIP

also retired my Reinforced Records t-shirt to paint splattered duty
Moving Shadow is for sleeping in only as is Honest Jons one

in action though:

Radio station Kool FM and Underground Bass t-shirts in good nick

Parliament Mothership Connection tour tee hanging in there but getting tight, as is The Light of Saba

Shack DJ crew one Id like to eek out its life, don't wear too too muhc

Deep Medi Tshirt is a new purchase....was shocked that it turns out the text glows in the dark... a bit much tbh

Jazz Warriors tshirt is from the 80s and i dont wear it which is pretty pointless really

new cross record shop Planet Wax is a stalwart

...I can feel Killer B's condemnation of us all even without him posting :D

Yeah, I went through a similar shift from thinking I was too old for band shirts to not giving a fuck - another 20 years and I might be wearing a battle jacket, though it probably won't include many of these bands

View attachment 425201

I was at Desertfest this weekend in Camden and half the crowd were sporting battle jackets.

Not me though I did wear a different band shirt each day - Slimelord on Friday, Slift on Saturday and Bongripper on Sunday.

I have a lot of band shirts - I wear them almost every day....

1 and I can't even fit into the fucker.

Wah! Heat's Better Scream

edited: Just remembered 2 other T Shirts that I have . . . and I can't fit into those fuckers either:

Vic Godard and the Subway Sect
Chemikal Underground (label T shirt)

Last edited:
My Bloc Party one's letters fell off so that leaves me with a Ronettes one I'm simply never getting into again and two Autechre shirts, one official, one not.

In addition I THINK I have a Linton Kwesi Johnson Bass Culture one somewhere that like the Ronettes one seems to have dramatically shrunk in recent years :oops: and one which while not a band t shirt exactly shows a Venn diagram explaining the chorus of Blur's Girls and Boys.

I've never really been a band shirt person for all that. I've had a few though; KLF, Bros, U2, Toots, couple Trojan ones.

The only one I have is a Ramones t-shit I bought one day at the beach. I’d spilled coffee on myself and needed a clean top, the Ramones one was the best of a limited choice.

Back
Top Bottom