Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 55k-70k

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters
My last employer, before I became self-employed, had a staff share scheme like that, most people fell for it, and didn't understand why I wouldn't allow myself to get sucked in, even when I explained the shares were over-valued, based on the company over-paying to buy up smaller local newspaper groups, when the sector was clearly doomed, and especially as Johnson Press was so badly run.

A lot of them kept those options or actual shares when the price dropped, assuming they would recover at some point, they didn't, over some years they dropped from well over £5 each to just 1p, before the business finally collapsed, leaving them totally worthless. :(
Fair do's you pays your money and you takes your chance. Son Q at least works for a large multinational worth a few billion and employing something like 15,000 so his money is probably moderately safe. That said EAM are worth hundreds of billions and employ 100,000's and in my 25 years there pretty much everything they did convinced me they were a bunch of shysters and crooks.

Of which a lot of it will be down to assets rather than income.
Think the poll is asking for income isn’t it? Obviously some people have put personal net some have put personal net , some have put household income net and some gross.
If it was assets then Spymaster would be off the scale .

Just under 14k from benefits. That's what actually reaches my bank account - housing benefit and service charge (which includes my electric) are paid directly to the housing association.

I do some "permitted hours" work on top. How much varies a lot but less than the £7900 max. Probably about 4k if I had to guess.

I get £21K basic but I do a lot of overtime which pushes it up at times. I'm basically trading my free time for enough money to eat, heat and get drunk. That last one is getting ever more important these days. It's depressing looking at the poll and realising most people really do earn more money than I do.

I should be clear that while my earnings last year were £22 k gross, I have no mortgage, adult in work kids (albeit both significantly lower paid than me), a partner who is a part time teacher/senco earning low £30s k. We run a cheap as chips Honda Jazz, I brew my own beer and cider, and read and run as my treats.

I should also add that I am far far happier now than I was as a university lecturer earning more than twice as much.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

A lot of people who are a lot more comfortable than me on paper, often don't seem to feel comfortable. There's always something else to think you need I guess.

A lot of people spend a lot of money on payments for their car(s), on a system that incentives trading in for a newer model every few years but leaves you never actually being out of hock, or owning the car you drive. Me, I have a 20 year old hatchback and you have to bury the gas pedal to get it going at the lights but I paid cash up front and it's mine. And if it dies or I crash it, I don't have to keep paying some other cunt for it until 2038.

A lot of people who are a lot more comfortable than me on paper, often don't seem to feel comfortable. There's always something else to think you need I guess.

A lot of people spend a lot of money on payments for their car(s), on a system that incentives trading in for a newer model every few years but leaves you never actually being out of hock, or owning the car you drive. Me, I have a 20 year old hatchback and you have to bury the gas pedal to get it going at the lights but I paid cash up front and it's mine. And if it dies or I crash it, I don't have to keep paying some other cunt for it until 2038.
I remember reading that wise people have cheap cars and expensive houses, because cars depreciate and houses don't.

My partner and I both have really good incomes but we have very low asset bases, and she sends about 30% of her salary overseas to support family.

I hope to be able to buy a house next year but there's probably a good chance we won't be able to afford it.

Also my partner earns more than me, but I get a company car which is a massive saving especially in NZ and I get to use the fuel card for reasonable personal use. And I don't have any family to support.

I remember reading that wise people have cheap cars and expensive houses, because cars depreciate and houses don't.

When I looked at buying new cars and how the finance worked, I thought surely that can't be right. Optional final payment? Of four times the deposit? Pound a mile charge if you go over your annual mileage in...your own car? You'd have to be simple in the brains to fall for that.

My partner and I both have really good incomes but we have very low asset bases, and she sends about 30% of her salary overseas to support family.

I hope to be able to buy a house next year but there's probably a good chance we won't be able to afford it.

Also my partner earns more than me, but I get a company car which is a massive saving especially in NZ and I get to use the fuel card for reasonable personal use. And I don't have any family to support.
If we’re factoring in expenditure and assets I basically pay off my ex’s mortgage whilst I rent a room. :D

When I looked at buying new cars and how the finance worked, I thought surely that can't be right. Optional final payment? Of four times the deposit? Pound a mile charge if you go over your annual mileage in...your own car? You'd have to be simple in the brains to fall for that.

That's not buying, that's leasing.

I get £21K basic but I do a lot of overtime which pushes it up at times. I'm basically trading my free time for enough money to eat, heat and get drunk. That last one is getting ever more important these days. It's depressing looking at the poll and realising most people really do earn more money than I do.
That sounds rough.

Not quite the same thing - but my overtime pays for holidays, various types of fun, trips to rugby matches, home improvements etc. being able to work from home makes overtime much more attractive as I tend to do two or three hours on a weekend morning or a weekday evening.

Back when I could stand sharing my house with people I had a lodger and their rent was used for much the same thing as it is now.

I have mates who earn more than me but also have cost centres kids to provide for and also have to work a lot of additional hours unpaid. At least I get paid when I go above my contracted hours. They probably get bonuses though. It’s all irrelevant really as I wouldn’t want the hassle their jobs seem to give them

Including all money made from jobs, bit coin, rental empires, drug dealing, stock market etc ;)

According to the ONS the
  • Median weekly pay for full-time employees was £640 in April 2022 [x52 = £33,280 pa], which is a 5.0% increase over the £610 in 2021.
  • In real terms (that is, adjusted for inflation) in April 2022, median weekly pay for full-time employees fell by 2.6% on the year.

This is from 2020 - gives a good idea of the general distribution
View attachment 354217
None of your beeswax. All I can say is that I pimp out your mum and it doesn't earn me much at all :thumbs:

That makes me wise.? No it makes me lucky.

Our three bed house in Brighton is probably market valued at about £500k +. It cost us £110k 22 and a bit years ago.

To be clear we have done nothing to 'earn' a near 500% increase in its supposed worth over those years.The whole over emphasis on 'you've got to get on the property ladder/own your own home' situation is stupid and antisocial.

Maybe running a cheap car makes me a little bit smart, but I'd rather have effective, affordable public transport and access to an appropriate vehicle through some sort of car share scheme as and when we needed it.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Back
Top Bottom