Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 55k-70k

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters
I donā€™t understand the difference but I was assuming the pill referred to salaries

Yeah. What I mean is that you could have v little money coming in but own a massive pile of shares or property that is increasing in value etc.

There are also ways to keep the pile increasing while avoiding having to declare what most of us would understand as ā€œincomeā€.

Yeah. What I mean is that you could have v little money coming in but own a massive pile of shares or property that is increasing in value etc.

There are also ways to keep the pile increasing while avoiding having to declare what most of us would understand as ā€œincomeā€.
Donā€™t those sort of things provide dividends that count as income.

Shares do if they are the kind that pay dividends (as oppose to the ones that rely on speculation about price rises).

The ins and outs of it are horribly complex and Iā€™m not best set to explain them tbh.

shares usually (but not always) produce dividends (which i believe are taxed at a lower rate than income from wages).

property only produces income if you're a landlord on whatever scale.

any increase in the value of assets (shares, property, collection of antique tram tickets or whatever) increases 'your net worth' (yuk) but is only theoretical until such time as you try to sell any of it, and the value can vary depending on what other people are prepared to pay for it - in some extreme shares can become worth bugger all if the company goes bust.

In my case my plan is to live frugally but in a location of my choice and in a house that isn't a building site - though even at my modest income I hope I will avail myself of Europe's far better rail system and put in some miles ...

shares usually (but not always) produce dividends (which i believe are taxed at a lower rate than income from wages).

property only produces income if you're a landlord on whatever scale.

any increase in the value of assets (shares, property, collection of antique tram tickets or whatever) increases 'your net worth' (yuk) but is only theoretical until such time as you try to sell any of it, and the value can vary depending on what other people are prepared to pay for it - in some extreme shares can become worth bugger all if the company goes bust.

I only once bought and sold shares. It was Sky shares, we got 390 options at Ā£2.25. The share price absolutely rocketed, I bought at Ā£2.25 and sold at Ā£21.47 in ten minutes.

I only once bought and sold shares. It was Sky shares, we got 390 options at Ā£2.25. The share price absolutely rocketed, I bought at Ā£2.25 and sold at Ā£21.47 in ten minutes.
The only shares I currently hold are those that give me a 70% stake in Q Enterprises. Since it isn't traded on the stock market, my share holding is thus fixed at the massive value of Ā£7. I used to have 400 Halifax shares which I gained when they became a bank. I clung onto them for years as they gave me Ā£24.50 a year in fixed dividends but I have sold them now.
Son Q's employer runs a Shave Save scheme where the staff can put money in and after so many years they can buy them at the value they were when the scheme started and sell them at their current value. It gave him a 5 figure sum towards a house deposit last year. EAM ran a Share Save scheme as well but given it was for a American company floated on the NY stock market it always seemed dodgy to me and I never partook.

I work 3 day week for a shade under 16k gross. A large proportion of my total anual income is made up of PIP, without which I'd mostly be in the red.

Need to seriously look at doing something supplimentry next year, out of bordom as much as anything else.

Last edited:
Was on Ā£45k when our company got taken over, most others were on Ā£23k, managers on Ā£27k, but I came with a small client book and was very good at what I do. I left 11 years ago to set up on my own, taking all the customers with me and have picked up many more since. Frau Bahn is a bookkeeper and so does the accounts, leads to a question of how much we earn, as the answer is, "It varies" - we each draw a salary via PAYE, Ā£37,700 each. And if the company makes more we draw dividend from it. Apart from 2020 there has always been a healthy dividend. The pay may be good but the hours are shit, am typing this on a laptop as have just dealt with two queries, 4pm on a Sunday...

Last edited:
Was on Ā£45k when our company got taken over, most others were on Ā£23k, managers on Ā£27k, but I come with a small client book and was very good at what I do. I left 11 years ago to set up on my own, taking all the customers with me and have picked up many more since. Frau Bahn is a bookkeeper and so does the accounts, leads to a question of how much we earn, as the answer is, "It varies" - we each draw a salary via PAYE, Ā£37,700 each. And if the company makes more we draw dividend from it. Apart from 2020 there has always been healthy dividend. The pay may be good but the hours are shit, am typing this on a laptop as have just dealt with two queries, 4pm on a Sunday...
To keep yourself out of higher rate tax?

Sat opposite me right now is Frau Bahn's mum, pre-retirement she was an inspector for HMRC, she busted Ken Dodd, so yeah, we're OK at 'paying exactly what we should and no more' type shit.
:D

I had a few colleagues in a previous role who would tweak their pension contributions to keep themselves basic rate tax payers (to do with access to child benefit and childcare vouchers I think)

Son Q's employer runs a Shave Save scheme where the staff can put money in and after so many years they can buy them at the value they were when the scheme started and sell them at their current value. It gave him a 5 figure sum towards a house deposit last year. EAM ran a Share Save scheme as well but given it was for a American company floated on the NY stock market it always seemed dodgy to me and I never partook.

My last employer, before I became self-employed, had a staff share scheme like that, most people fell for it, and didn't understand why I wouldn't allow myself to get sucked in, even when I explained the shares were over-valued, based on the company over-paying to buy up smaller local newspaper groups, when the sector was clearly doomed, and especially as Johnson Press was so badly run.

A lot of them kept those options or actual shares when the price dropped, assuming they would recover at some point, they didn't, over some years they dropped from well over Ā£5 each to just 1p, before the business finally collapsed, leaving them totally worthless. :(

Sat opposite me right now is Frau Bahn's mum, pre-retirement she was an inspector for HMRC, she busted Ken Dodd, so yeah, we're OK at 'paying exactly what we should and no more' type shit.

For a given value of 'should' anyway. I'd be more inclined to use, 'can get away with' in that context instead.

Im back in full time work now, earning 22k. Private sector. I also have some savings but not made any money or income the past few years. Cos I own my house and have a housemate/lodger I have income from that too, about 5k a year. At the weekend, I still do a bit of English teaching online and get paid in euros for that, which is useful.

I feel very lucky. I dont want or need many material things and I can get by and save up a bit every month at the monent.

Back
Top Bottom