Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 55k-70k

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters
I put 20-25k but that's gross pay. Take off tax, NI and student loans and it's a lot less.

Also I work via an agency so no sick pay, crap pension scheme etc. For my job I should be on 28k minimum.

I'm somewhere in the middle there but still live month to month after racking up debt during lockdowns leaving me with huge monthly repayments. Every month my life could change drastically. This could partly be because according to my bank's 'handy' graph on the app which shows where your money is spent shows that the majority of my money goes on 'entertainment'. Ie, buying rounds in pubs and overpriced shit booze in off licences.

If I'm still employed by start of the financial year I hope I'll get an increase line somewhere in line with inflation but not holding my breath.

As value is created socially then it should all be our bloody business; surely the genuinely weird thing is to pretend otherwise?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

People care so much because we have a weird thing about earning money in this country. If someone admits they earn a grand more than their peers, this is more likely to lead to piss taking exhortations for that person to buy every round in the pub, rather than wage equalisation.

I'm on about £22K - work 34.5 hours a week but am actually there 37.5 (not paid for breaks) but LOVE my job, really good holiday and benefits.

I also have very few outgoings- no mortgage- energy costs relatively low as I live on my own.
When Middle Q graduated from nursing school I was surprised by her starting salary, I thought that's decent if not great money for a 21 yr old with no experience, I thought nurses were poorly paid. As time passed I realised my perception was wrong since I thought everyone on the ward who wasn't a doctor was a nurse and it took me a while to realise actual registered nurses are quite rare and there are loads of other people doing various jobs. If I were Health Secretary there would be massive payrises all round but sadly I am not.

I think it would be socially good if everyone was compelled to disclose their tax records.
Both at a macro level e.g. it'd focus our attention on how the wealthiest don't pay their fair share, and how, as a society we value the wrong jobs. And at a micro level, insofar as employers would struggle to justify paying different rates for the same job.

On the basis that this is gross pay under PAYE…

My salary is approx £24k and I guess I average about £5k overtime a year so £29 approx. Household income the same as I live on my own. I earned the same salary back in 2007 and was on double this in early 2020 until I had a change of career priority. But I’m happy with what I can do and can live on it well enough - helped by being a homeowner for 15 years.
This poll data is meaningless without considering whether people work full time IMO, also the site skews London, older than 40, and probably like a lot of messageboards historically skewed office worker which would all lean towards having a higher income I think

Oh and for anyone looking at a P60 - this would only show your taxable pay so will not include your pension contributions which in most cases reduce taxable pay :)

Nah this is the last remaining taboo people much more willing to tell you all their sexual peculiarities than tell you what they earn.
ETA yup see above

It's a particularly British thing too. That 'it's vulgar to talk about money' thing popular amongst that sector of the stinking rich who can't even claim to have worked their up to wealth filters right down through our class and privilege ridden society so that it becomes impolite to question the massive disparities.

Anyway, given that I'm a civil service drone and my salary is public knowledge anyway, I can confirm that I earn £21,400 per annum gross.

Testing out Prof Bimble’s thesis , what about your sexual peculiarities ?

Window Ignored GIF - Window Ignored Bye GIFs

So we know who to line up outside Waitrose after the revolution.

oh

It's a particularly British thing too. That 'it's vulgar to talk about money' thing popular amongst that sector of the stinking rich who can't even claim to have worked their up to wealth filters right down through our class and privilege ridden society so that it becomes impolite to question the massive disparities.

Anyway, given that I'm a civil service drone and my salary is public knowledge anyway, I can confirm that I earn £21,400 per annum gross.
actually the only people over here who talk about how much money they have ( or say they have ) are the English and Germans .

Back
Top Bottom