• 55k-70k

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters
From the Office for National Statistics:

Disposable income is arguably the most widely used household income measure. Disposable income is the amount of money that households have available for spending and saving after direct taxes, such as Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax, have been accounted for. It includes earnings from employment, private pensions and investments as well as cash benefits provided by the state.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Sorry, I meant in terms of defining what the OP wanted in the poll.
I know what it means but actually most would consider disposable income what you have left after all bills and essential spending like food and fuel.

For me, disposable income is the fun money.

I used to get roughly the median income - fell on my feet working in a University for 38 years - I took my work pension 6 years early so I'm technically on minimum wage and barely over the tax threshold - but lack of taxation and NI means halving my gross income meant only a reduction of a third of the nett income.
But no mortgage and a frugal lifestyle means I live on half of it - roughly the level of the state pension.

Last edited:
30k pretty much bang on , for 0.8 FTE, and feel incredibly lucky to be in this position, with mortgage paid off. This is the first year my income has returned to pre-2010 levels after plummeting through the austerity years, though am on a short term contract that finishes in 2024 so doesn't feel that secure.

I’m one about £21K (gross) I think. No idea how that translates into net income or disposable income. CBA to find out.
I am reasonably privileged though as I only have bills to pay and no rent. Wouldn’t describe myself as well off though. Haven’t been on holiday for over a decade and am always skint by one or two weeks into the month - though I imagine I’d be the same on twice my salary.
I also pay ADHD tax which means I don’t make the most out of my disposable income and fritter it on the fripperies of impulsive purchases.

Last edited:
Gross I'm on NHS band 3 upper which is £23,177 plus fringe london weighting (5%) and agenda for change unsocial, which normally means gross take home per year is £28-29k as bottom of the rung Ambulance worker. Once I've finished my current apprenticeship though that should bump me to band 5 £27,055 - £32,934

Partner is on £32k ish gross as a full time FE Lecturer.

I didn't vote as I didn't know what the voting parameters (gross, household etc) were. I'm quite happy to talk about what we earn, we're public sector workers so you can work it out by asking my job title and googling it if you really wanted, so I'm not going to be precious.

Last edited:
It does of course doesn't help when your far more wealthy former partner takes more and more from you while taking more and more time with your child with from you (it's a great irony of the system that the less time you spend with your child the more you pay despite wanting to spend 24/7 with him, but hey that's the sexist system in this country, the mum holds all the cards).

So. yes. fucked. and not getting any younger.

So I'm on à pension so don't 'earn' any of it. £32k . Plus when I finish my career break thingy I'll get a second much smaller pension and, in 12 years time, will get my state one.

Ms A380 also gets a couple of pensions one big and one small and she does some zero hours cover work too, because she wants to.

I have done some consultancy paid work but thinking of knocking that on the head. Pre covid that got me about £5k a year take home and only just restarting now. I do have two voluntary 'jobs' though. So I only feel very guilty as uposed to unbearably guilty...

It does of course doesn't help when your far more wealthy former partner takes more and more from you while taking more and more time with your child with from you (it's a great irony of the system that the less time you spend with your child the more you pay despite wanting to spend 24/7 with him, but hey that's the sexist system in this country, the mum holds all the cards).

So. yes. fucked. and not getting any younger.
Not quite sure what to make of this post.

So I'm on à pension so don't 'earn' any of it. £32k . Plus when I finish my career break thingy I'll get a second much smaller pension and, in 12 years time, will get my state one.

Ms A380 also gets a couple of pensions one big and one small and she does some zero hours cover work too, because she wants to.

I have done some consultancy paid work but thinking of knocking that on the head. Pre covid that got me about £5k a year take home and only just restarting now. I do have two voluntary 'jobs' though. So I only feel very guilty as uposed to unbearably guilty...
I’ve always thought that the Police pension is a good scheme .

Personally, I work part time (20 hrs a week) and earn about £11.5k pa. However, other side ventures (Music related gigging, recording, production, etc.) bring in an additional £3-4k. Mrs SFM earns about £40k pa but is looking to go PT in the next few years.

Not quite sure what to make of this post.

Not gonna be dressing up like Spiderman and climbing the shard don't worry! But yeh, my income is significantly reduced by the amount I have to pay for seeing my child for 24 hours every two weeks, paying someone who owns two homes and has a well paid job. This is life. Sorry, derail. Is this amount net income or gross?

I think the 13% reporting an income of over £100,000 must include some liars, people making massively over-optimistic projections about the value of their cryptocurrency holdings, and people who misread £100k+ as £100+.

The company I work for goes one further and likes to imply that we are not allowed to talk about our salaries.
yep I had a job where they claimed it was a breach of contract to discuss any of your contract terms with other employees (which is not true). half of the staff had been inherited from another company with way better terms than the other staff, and they wanted to make sure the staff didn't all work together to level up rather than down. That is why it is important to be open imo. Who does it benefit keeping it a secret?

I think the 13% reporting an income of over £100,000 must include some liars, people making massively over-optimistic projections about the value of their cryptocurrency holdings, and people who misread £100k+ as £100+.

I think someone on here said they have Brewdog shares, so that might be it… :hmm:

My salary is public knowledge. Well, the amount is, just not necessarily that I'm attached to it.

I'm not sure the 'over £100k section is full of liars and pisstakers' is true, I can immediately think of half a dozen Urbs who I assume earn over £100k by don't of their profession.

I earn over £100k.

My salary is public knowledge. Well, the amount is, just not necessarily that I'm attached to it.

I'm not sure the 'over £100k section is full of liars and pisstakers' is true, I can immediately think of half a dozen Urbs who I assume earn over £100k by don't of their profession.

I earn over £100k.

Yeah, there are a few I’d guess are in that bracket too.

I suggest we should respect the sanctity of the poll and hunt them down by the tried and tested means of good old fashioned rumour and malice.

There are quite a lot of rich folk on here tbf

I earn over £100k.
I thought you were a Major, googling the army payscales leads me to the conclusion that you can actually legitimately call yourself "The Colonel"

I'm one of the 10 who ticked the £100K+ box, Since the bulk of my income is dividends rather than salary it oscillates (this year it has been a tad below the 100K) however Mrs Q has a very good job of her own which pushes us well above it as a household.

Back
Top Bottom