Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 55k-70k

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters
You'd think so wouldn't you? Except that's how you 'buy' a car these days apparently. Car companies are really just finance companies. That's where their margins are.

It's not how you 'buy' a car these days, that is leasing a car.

When my brother retired and lost his company car, he brought a brand new car, paid cash, none of that messing around. You can also buy a car using a loan from a bank or finance company, when you've finished paying for it, it's yours.

Whilst a lot of people opt for leasing, many don't, buying and leasing are two very different things.

Hard to give an exact figure as I freelance and it varies wildly, but think it'll be less that the equivalent of GBP20 k annually these past few years, then we have what MrsW makes from her tea business which is definitely a handy income stream as we're missing it badly now all the markets she does are off due to Covid. Rent is cheap by UK standards but have to pay for kid's education as can't get them into public system as a foreigner/non-local couple; we've seriously considering moving down to Fujian where they would have that entitlement as it's a good half of our household expenses.

When my brother retired and lost his company car, he brought a brand new car, paid cash, none of that messing around. You can also buy a car using a loan from a bank or finance company, when you've finished paying for it, it's yours.
You can also buy a car using autotrader (v trad but best have a mate to check it out)

You wouldn't go to leasing as your first option for sure.

That makes me wise.? No it makes me lucky.

Our three bed house in Brighton is probably market valued at about £500k +. It cost us £110k 22 and a bit years ago.

To be clear we have done nothing to 'earn' a near 500% increase in its supposed worth over those years.The whole over emphasis on 'you've got to get on the property ladder/own your own home' situation is stupid and antisocial.

Maybe running a cheap car makes me a little bit smart, but I'd rather have effective, affordable public transport and access to an appropriate vehicle through some sort of car share scheme as and when we needed it.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

It's pure luck. A recent pay rise means I now earn more then I ever had, but still below the UK median it appears. However my mortgage payments are much smaller then when we'd pay in rent so which makes a huge difference. I'm aware that makes me really fortunate, but not something I earned.

Last edited:

Whilst a lot of people opt for leasing, many don't, buying and leasing are two very different things.
I've always paid cash for a car (well usually building society cheque), I've never had a new one though always gone for a good quality second hand one around the 3 year old mark. The amount of money a new car loses in it's first 12 months of life just scares me.

I grew up in Worthing (from 7 to 22) and my aged parents still live there. I didn't like it and I still don't.

On the other hand some of the people who live there are absolutely wonderful.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

It's changed a lot since I moved here about 20 years ago, Labour has even taken control of the borough council, I never expected the Tories to ever lose it.

When I bought my (8 year old) car 5 years ago I got a loan for the money, overpaid it as interest rate was higher than my mortgage and credit card debt and paid it off within a year. Not sure I could manage that now tbh.

I've always paid cash for a car (well usually building society cheque), I've never had a new one though always gone for a good quality second hand one around the 3 year old mark. The amount of money a new car loses in it's first 12 months of life just scares me.
No one in their right mind buys a brand-new car!

Edit: my folks bought this one in 2008, about 5 years old. Low mileage since and full-service history. It's getting old now but has done us well.

You can also buy a car using autotrader (v trad but best have a mate to check it out)

You wouldn't go to leasing as your first option for sure.
Loads of people lease as their first option.
Many employers (including local authorities and NHS trusts plus some govt departments) have deals with lease companies and some don’t want to own a car outright.

If you can afford the monthly payment it’s a hassle free way of running car. Almost all costs are included, the dealer services it. Yes you do have to monitor your mileage and you will have to make good any significant damage but it’s still worth it for lots of people.

I’ve got a car on PCP. I love it, it’s worth it for me and I don’t really get the judgment tbh.

Many employers (including local authorities and NHS trusts plus some govt departments) have deals with lease companies and some don’t want to own a car outright.

If you can afford the monthly payment it’s a hassle free way of running car. Almost all costs are included, the dealer services it. Yes you do have to monitor your mileage and you will have to make good any significant damage but it’s still worth it for lots of people.

I’ve got a car on PCP. I love it, it’s worth it for me and I don’t really get the judgment tbh.

After having a really rough few years with second hand cars I can see why it would appeal.

Good that it's right for you of course. But SpookyFrank sounds against it, that's how it came up. I'm not judging you, you go for what's right for you. I'm not that keen on hire-purchase equivalents but that's just me.

If you want a new car every three years (because e.g. you never need an MOT, are never out of warranty, and always have the latest in safety, fuel economy, emissions, and performance), then PCP just about makes sense insofar as you can a small deposit and low monthly payments (as long a you can get a high enough mileage limit, and get gap insurance). Dealerships want to sell finance, so you'll get a bit more off the price/get servicing included by going down that route. And it saves the grief of having to sell a car.

Last edited:
Good that it's right for you of course. But SpookyFrank sounds against it, that's how it came up. I'm not judging you, you go for what's right for you. I'm not that keen on hire-purchase equivalents but that's just me.
I was responding to the suggestion that leasing wouldn’t be someone’s first choice. It is, often. That was my point.

You then said no-one in their right might would buy a new car. That’s judgment.
It’s fine, we all judge and it doesn’t bother me.

A lot of people who are a lot more comfortable than me on paper, often don't seem to feel comfortable. There's always something else to think you need I guess.

A lot of people spend a lot of money on payments for their car(s), on a system that incentives trading in for a newer model every few years but leaves you never actually being out of hock, or owning the car you drive. Me, I have a 20 year old hatchback and you have to bury the gas pedal to get it going at the lights but I paid cash up front and it's mine. And if it dies or I crash it, I don't have to keep paying some other cunt for it until 2038.
people also have expensive all-consuming hobbies, such as children

It's after tax
plus being on a pound above minimum wage means plenty of people on less for the same sort of hours..........huge numbers of people are nowhere near the median
Thanks, you're right that gross and net will not be that far apart for the low paid :(

My take home pay is £17k for full time hours but it gets topped up to just shy of £30k with Universal Credit because I am a single mum. That's before rent which is £850 a month and I am supporting two teenage kids at home and another one away at university during the week and home at the weekends off the rest.

Back
Top Bottom