Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's the best value streaming service

High Voltage

In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters
I've just had notification from Netflix that our account is going up to £10.99 / month

We also have, rightly or wrongly, an Amazon prime account which "gives" us access to the film part of Amazon so this is "free"

But Netflix isn't

Is there any better value for money streaming service? I don't mind dipping in and out of various networks, so a months Netflix, then cancel that and switch to something else

Your thoughts Urban hive-mind would be much appreciated

I swap between them. Get one for a few months, then move to another, just depending on what show I'm most desperate to see. Netflix will be necessary when Better Call Saul starts up again. :cool: NOW TV can generally be got for the cheapest (look out for deals), but whether it's worth it really depends on if you like what's on offer - I'm really enjoying Euphoria at the moment.

BFI Player is 4.99 a month ( you can have it stand alone or can add it onto Amazon Prime.) It's cheaper if you buy it for a year. But can't do that if you add it on Prime.

I eventually got it as add on to Prime. Downside of it is that it has no app. You have to stream it through browser and cast it. For me that didn't work well.

It has large back catalogue if you subscribe. As well as newer films.

If you want more indie films and foreign language its a bargain.

If you get yearly subscription to Mubi it works out at six pounds a month.

Mubi is foreign language "arthouse" films.

I have it. Its got its own app. So works on my TV ( Roku).

Has off beat selection of new and old films that change regularly. Doesn't always get the latest best ones. Which is a bit of a downside. Can be hit or miss.

Its a small outfit compared to Netflix and Prime. So buying power is less I assume.

As you already have Amazon Prime its worth spending time searching through it. A bit laborious but I've gone through some of it. Checked films on rotten tomatoes and found some interesting stuff.

My Pakistani friend pointed out its got a lot of Indian films. Some are interesting. And don't get released here.

IMBD channel on Prime is free with adds.

Just found this - amazing archive - free

this is another good freebie one

Can you get Tubi in the UK? It's free and has a decent selection of films and tv shows.

Now launching in the UK.

The Twilight films, starring Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, the horror film Candyman and the Tubi original reality series House of Heat are among the current offerings.

Sounds shit.

Prime is better than Netflix but only judging my own watching habits. Netflix has more content than most, but I could easily drop the service as I rarely watch anything on it.
There is no ‘best’ overall service as it very much depends on your tastes. If you like long tv series featuring Koreans debasing each other, or mindless-diversion-type bingey content then, choose Netflix. If you like foreign/arthouse cinema, then Mubi or BFI. If you like blockbuster and classic films more than tv series, then Prime. If you like shit or old British comedy and drama, then BritBox or ITVx. If you want populist content that the press talks about endlessly, then it’s iPlayer and All4.

Prime is better than Netflix but only judging my own watching habits. Netflix has more content than most, but I could easily drop the service as I rarely watch anything on it.
There is no ‘best’ overall service as it very much depends on your tastes. If you like long tv series featuring Koreans debasing each other, or mindless-diversion-type bingey content then, choose Netflix. If you like foreign/arthouse cinema, then Mubi or BFI. If you like blockbuster and classic films more than tv series, then Prime. If you like shit or old British comedy and drama, then BritBox or ITVx. If you want populist content that the press talks about endlessly, then it’s iPlayer and All4.

The ads have broken Prime. We just watched Fargo series five, which was interrupted every five minutes to promote other shows - they couldn’t even flog the slots to actual brands, but they still insisted on ruining the programme.

The ads have broken Prime. We just watched Fargo series five, which was interrupted every five minutes to promote other shows - they couldn’t even flog the slots to actual brands, but they still insisted on ruining the programme.
I just gave in to the blackmail and paid extra. :oops:
No adverts is bliss though. Never regretted paying for YouTube Premium.

And with it went the last one I used. I have Prime for the delivery, but when I first saw ads, I thought fuck it and torrented it.

Last edited:
TUBI with a US VPN is ok . Adverts which you cant get rid of but some decent older stuff on there if you search. The Brit version doesn't look as good at all. I've got Amazon Prime Spain here as they deliver to Portugal and it's just over half the price of Prime UK. plus shared logins for HBO, Paramount , Disney etc.

We’ve just activated the three month offer of Apple TV that came bundled with the replacement Samsung TV we’ve just bought

So I’m giving that a go at the moment

Ted Lasso
Slow Horses

So far so good

We’ve just activated the three month offer of Apple TV that came bundled with the replacement Samsung TV we’ve just bought

So I’m giving that a go at the moment

Ted Lasso
Slow Horses

So far so good

Don’t miss Severance. Dark Matter is just about worth it, too.

I was wondering what House of Heat was, as it’s Tubi UK’s marquee original content.

Adult content creators move into a house to help grow each other's fanbase on OnlyFans, TikTok and Instagram. In this house, they better bring the heat.

For fucks’s fucking sake. Really?

Apple tv shows and films are of a better quality than most other streamer-produced content. I’m not sure there’s enough of them to make Apple+TV good value for money though. I tend to watch rentals on it though as well as buying some content. Used to use Prime mostly for that but the Apple UI (via my PS4) is easier to use for paid-for content.

torrentquest or pirate bay. why would you pay those fuckers when it's all there for free?
It’s not always convenient or possible to use a VPN. I stopped torrenting after getting too many stern emails from my provider.
The convenience of the streamers’ interfaces is also a factore.

It’s not always convenient or possible to use a VPN. I stopped torrenting after getting too many stern emails from my provider.
Stremio which you can put on firesticks/android boxes is a torrent based streamer which is free however you tend to have to search for stuff and see if there are enough seeders.

I've never got any of these stern letters... and it's been 20 odd years. I dont think they can really do much anyway.

I've never got any of these stern letters... and it's been 20 odd years. I dont think they can really do much anyway.
We got a few for torrenting Marvel content. The IP account is in my dad’s name, so he was forwarding the emails to me. I’d have ignored them if I was the only person using the IP.

Back
Top Bottom