Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

Where's me readers?
Well, it's been a while since the last one soooooo

I'm having sweet potato, roasted with fresh rosemary and garlic, plus onion, and I thought I'd sprinkle some parmesan over the top when it's all done.

Never done SP like this before, usually mash em, but I'm in economy-drive mode.

What are you on?

I'm having a hearty soup with lots of veg, pearl barley and leftover Christmas capon in it.

Well, this is fantastic gotta say, but I think I sprinkled a bit too much parmesan on - it barely needs any

Ms T said:
I'm having a hearty soup with lots of veg, pearl barley and leftover Christmas capon in it.
Ick, pearl barley

Knocks me sick that stuff, I can't stand the texture in me mouth

Soup sounds good though ;)

sojourner said:
I'm having sweet potato, roasted with fresh rosemary and garlic, plus onion, and I thought I'd sprinkle some parmesan over the top when it's all done.

Roasting sweet potato is the way forward - you'll never go back to mashed! Roasted for ages so they're all crunchy and caremell-y <drooooool> :cool:

Have you seen Nigella's way of doing mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallow? very odd - not got the stomach to try it...

I'm reveiwing the sad contents of the fridge and trying to decide on tea. Probably the old favourite when cash is tight - quesadillas. With the lame old veg at the bottom of the salad drawer and the odds and ends of various cheeses bought over crimbo - sow's ear to silk purse in an instant!

lillia said:
Roasting sweet potato is the way forward - you'll never go back to mashed! Roasted for ages so they're all crunchy and caremell-y <drooooool> :cool:

Have you seen Nigella's way of doing mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallow? very odd - not got the stomach to try it...

I'm reveiwing the sad contents of the fridge and trying to decide on tea. Probably the old favourite when cash is tight - quesadillas. With the lame old veg at the bottom of the salad drawer and the odds and ends of various cheeses bought over crimbo - sow's ear to silk purse in an instant!
Mmmm yep - crunchy and caramelly :) I did different sized chunks so I have that, and some big soft pieces too rarrr. And the rosemary is crisp so I can scoff that too

Nah not seen that particular delight of Nigellas

Whats quesadillas?

I'm working til midnight and just had a couple of hefty beef and mustard sandwiches but later I'm going to recreate this thing I made a few weeks back when all i had in the fridge was bacon.
Fry bacon bits with an onion, add tin of green lentils and very finely cubed potatoes, add som ewater and cook as slow as you can. Comes out as a delightful mush but man is it tasty or what.

I reckon about half of the best meals ever are dreamed up on the back of being skint with very little int fridge :)

we had fat spaghetti with leek, mushrooms, left over gammon and creme fraiche

oh, and fucking LOADS of garlic :D

*breathes over thread*

aqua said:
we had fat spaghetti with leek, mushrooms, left over gammon and creme fraiche

oh, and fucking LOADS of garlic :D

*breathes over thread*
I can't smell you on account of eating 2 cloves of roast garlic :D

sojourner said:
Whats quesadillas?

Sounds posher than it is - just veg (peppers/aubergine/anything you fancy that's in the fridge) fried with garlic/onion/chilli - i use smoked paprika as well - then mixed with a couple of handfuls of random cheese. Chuck it between two tortillas in a frying pan (non-stick so you don't need oil). Posh toasted sarnies really.

(Someone will come along in a min and say this an abomination of the good name quesadilla and all wrong :D but it's how i make 'em!)

I'm having the left-overs of the stew/soup I made yesterday. It has onion, chestnut mushrooms, garlic, red lentils, potatoes, carrots, butterbeans, a tin of tomatoes, stock and mustard in.

lillia said:
Sounds posher than it is - just veg (peppers/aubergine/anything you fancy that's in the fridge) fried with garlic/onion/chilli - i use smoked paprika as well - then mixed with a couple of handfuls of random cheese. Chuck it between two tortillas in a frying pan (non-stick so you don't need oil). Posh toasted sarnies really.

(Someone will come along in a min and say this an abomination of the good name quesadilla and all wrong :D but it's how i make 'em!)
Sounds a bit dry for me that - I like the idea of stuff like that, but I need a bit of moisture in me food

Perhaps a dip to go with it? :D

Maggot said:
I'm having the left-overs of the stew/soup I made yesterday. It has onion, chestnut mushrooms, garlic, red lentils, potatoes, carrots, butterbeans, a tin of tomatoes, stock and mustard in.
Sounds extremely healthy :)

It probably is, but it's what I had lying about rather than any conscious health effort.

sojourner said:
Perhaps a dip to go with it? :D

brilliant - i've got an avocado in the fruit bowl which is a bit squishy... guacamole it is! Fab this cooking by commitee... :)

The melted cheese overcomes the dryness element a bit...

a sort of paella/risotto, with onions, garlic, chicken, morcella, couple of slices of ham and salami, red pepper and safron.

Tonight it's good old boiled rice with garlicky steamed bok choi, oyster sauce and some green beans.

And on the side some ribs, covered in glistening hoi sin and honey. I'm quite looking forward to them, albit with a little nervousness - it's well over 5 years since I've cooked them and I'm slightly concerned they'll compare badly to the excellent ones my mum cooks all the time.

I love this thread, no matter how many times I do it, it always comes up with exciting and gorgeous ideas :D

Apart from madz of course :(

madz is just eating her own sausages without sending me any and I don't like her :(

*steals some of tarranaus*

I'm torn between making a thai chicken soup with lotsa chillis etc. and having grilled chicken breast with veges and garlic mash.... not sure. I'm a bit flu-ish, so the soup would probably be good but I'm also kind of in the mood for comfort foods.... Should I do a poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom