Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dynamicbaddog said:
being teh healthy this evening -
a salad made up of white cabbage, carrot, apple,walnuts, celery, parsley and coriander held together with some tahini, peanut butter and egg-free lemongrass mayonaise, served up in a tortilla wrap lined with spinach leaves.
Oooh, that sounds lovely!

We ate out at the National Gallery Restaurant today. I had quail, watercress and red cabbage salad followed by lemon sole in a hazelnut, caper and mustard crust. The quail was very nice but the hazelnuts rather overwhelmed the sole.

No booze, no pudding. *sigh*

sheothebudworths said:
I'm exaggerating - a few of us suffered a couple of stings, but aswell as being totally fucking petrified, my boy got mullered.... :( ...and down to the fact that there was no brushing them off - they had their stings totally driven in to his/our clothes/skin - he really did have to be stripped and then screamed for us to douse him in water. Poor thing.

jeeezus fhc :eek: ouch :eek:

ScallyWag II said:
jeeezus fhc :eek: ouch

Ta for the sympathy Scally - appreciated! :)

It was horrible - won't be at all surprised if he develops a serious bee phobia now, despite us talking about small creatures having to have effective defensive reactions when someone mistakenly stamps on their home iykwim (he was climbing a fallen tree)!!!

He's not a boy who ever complains about aches and pains unless they're severe, so it was quite scary to be stuck in the woods with him screaming in terror/pain.

I'm really, really fucking annoyed with myself too, cos I instinctively wanted to call nhs direct just to check what to do, but everyone else insisted they were wasps (people I would've expected knew far better than me, so I went with it....not blaming them though, that was just my take on it...I was stupid :rolleyes: ) and I felt like I was being over dramatic and in the end he got treated on their advice with vinegar (from some kind people parked up for the weekend in their vans) for wasp stings, even though I was sure they were bees (they were big fat bastards and I was still pulling their stings out an hour later!)...and you should actually treat bee stings with an alkaline solution!

I still feel really, really fucking rubbish for not just following through with my first instincts.

He had a good half hour lie down (unheard of!) before finally perking up and taking himself off for a run about :) but had my hoody pulled right over his head, unable to speak for that time - reckon then he was just dealing with the pain upon pain of acid on an acid sting.....<flinches>.... Fucking hell! :(

i didnt have a sandwhich after all, i had ham , potatoes and mixed veg. with fruit crumble for afters. was ok but i am hungry again now :)

debating making a cheese omlette :)

we had a picnic at home at lunchtime and ate so much we didn't bother with tea :oops:

tonight will be the bangers and mash we meant to have last night :cool:

aqua said:
we had a picnic at home at lunchtime and ate so much we didn't bother with tea :oops:

tonight will be the bangers and mash we meant to have last night :cool:

Yummm, bangers and mash. :cool:

I think I'll do a roast chicken as we've not had any vegetables all weekend! :eek:

I want pasta - but am not sure if I'll have some leftover saussie and bean casserole with it, or green pesto/black olives/parmesan, or the basic garlic/chilli thing

:eek: sheo. Hope he's alright.

No chuffin' idea for tonight. We might be otherwise occupied cos there's a big event happening tomorrow that's got to be sorted out :D Maybe chish and fips! So glad I booked a couple of days off work this week cos tomorrow and Wednesday are gonna be so busy.

sojourner said:
What you having then May

And why all the S&M lately?

:D

No special reason, just Mr K came home on Thursday with a load of tasty oven food. I think it was because we were out and about a lot over the weekend, so it was a way of making sure we would have some decent scran instead of drunken takeaway moments (we're both trying to eat less crap at the moment).

Oh, sorry, I quite forgot to mention what we're having! He has got some chicken and pesto in pastry type thing, and I have got a minted pea and feta cake :cool: Think I will do some sweet potato wedges and salad to go with.

May Kasahara said:
:D

No special reason, just Mr K came home on Thursday with a load of tasty oven food.

Have you checked the sell buy dates? He may have got it from the Salvation Army. :p

We've now got roast lamb stuffed with garlic and rosemary and all the trimmings. :cool:

I've got some fresh broad beans waiting to be used at home, so some kind of broad bean pasta I reckon. Pancetta, bit of double cream and mint and that'll be it. Perhaps I'll assemble and then grill the top for a couple of minutes - none of that pasta bake you understand - with a gratin topping of breadcrumbs and parmesan.

He's fine now ta! :cool:

Got a new Horrible History book out of it too for being so brave, so he may feel it was worth it all in the end. :D

We're having homemade lamb burgers in pitta, plot corn on the cob and mange tout and beans and some courgettes marinated in lemon/crushed coriander seeds/garlic/fresh coriander/lemon juice.

And raspberry jelly with peach slices and single cream for pudding. :D

We're having the roasted veg with feta and chorizo thing again. It was so good when we had it last week.
Simple to make. Just loads of tasty veg (sweet pot, the odd parsnip, cherry toms, red onion, peppers etc) with sliced chorizo and crumbled feta, roasted for about 20 mins. then served in tortilla wraps with soured cream!!!!!
I can eat 3 full size ones!

homemade brocoli and stilton soup with crusty bread...love making soup and this one is the nuts....

crustychick said:
I am going to have Swiss Chard and White Bean Minestrone (again!) it is just so lush (and I have a lot of chard again)
That does look lovely - was considering making that over the weekend but the chunky chickpea soup won out.

god i'm soooooooo fucking HUNGRY :mad: :( :(

crustychick said:
Recipe???
Certainly modom:

Chunky chickpea soup

This version of a minestrone is really a meal in its own right. It's packed with lovely winter vegetables and is a 'one-pot wonder' that will improve with age. I consider pancetta, the cured Italian bacon, to be an essential ingredient that should be on hand in every kitchen.

Serves 4
2 tbs olive oil
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 small fennel bulb, cut into small cubes
100g pancetta, cut into small cubes
1 carrot, grated
1 potato, cut into small cubes
1.5l chicken stock
400g canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
80g fresh spinach, chopped
50g parmesan cheese, finely grated
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the leek, fennel and pancetta and cook for 5 minutes over high heat, until the leek softens and the pancetta really flavours the oil. Add the carrot, potato, stock and chickpeas and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper then add the spinach. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, until the spinach has wilted throughout the soup.
Serve with parmesan sprinkled on top.
Next time: Add 100 g small pasta (try the little rice-shaped pastas such as risoni or orzo) instead of chickpeas and simmer until the pasta is cooked through before adding the final few ingredients. This will give you a very thick soup that you may even need a fork to eat!

I got this off a link on here. Not sure if you're a veggie or not, but I can assure you that this is fanbloodytastic

Phenol said:
We're having the roasted veg with feta and chorizo thing again. It was so good when we had it last week.
Simple to make. Just loads of tasty veg (sweet pot, the odd parsnip, cherry toms, red onion, peppers etc) with sliced chorizo and crumbled feta, roasted for about 20 mins. then served in tortilla wraps with soured cream!!!!!
I can eat 3 full size ones!

That sounds really good. I have most of those things in the fridge at home, so now I don't know what to make for tea tonight. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom