Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Beef casserole with mash. This recipe only with loads more veg/stock and a full kilo of steak. Mashed spuds with it. Bloody lovely. :) Spent most of the afternoon bubbling away - leaving it to cook for 2 1/2 hrs really did the trick. Enough there to see me right through the New Year I reckon.

Vegetable ratatouille with raisins, prunes and almonds. Very nice as it is, but...

I have some couscous to use up, so I'm going to let that soak the veggy juices then add some slices of cured cheese on top and whack it under the grill for 5 minutes. Or, put it in the oven if I can't find a grill.

Still got loads of leftover veg. I store it in those green stayfresh bags from Lakeland so it takes much longer to go off. Tonight we had a subversive roast dinner. I had no roast beef so we had Aberdeen Angus burgers instead. I then roasted parsnip, sprouts, potato, garlic, onion and asparagus. I made gravy with red onion jam, madeira and gravy granules. I had no real milk, so I made yorkshire pudding with soy milk and duck fat in the roasting pan. I don't think Ill make cows milk yorkshires again, the soy ones were fluffier and tasted nicer. Loved the roasted sprouts too, much nicer. I still have so much food to use up. Got a whole unopened ham and a big thingy of sausage meat, loads of chopped up roast meat in the freezer, will take me at least another 10 days to demolish it all.

Roast beef sirloin at one of Raymond Blanc's gastropubs :)

Have you had it yet?
Tell me more :)

I'm defrosting some venison shoulder steaks for tonight.
I think I'll just pan fry them.
Some sort of potato/cheese bake to go with them, and possibly some sprouts from the garden if it stops raining

A rather plain and boring chicken tikka korma (homemade) because I have a friend coming over shortly and she's one of those boring people who only eat mild curries.

I should break her into some hot stuff gently. If she won't screw her nose up anyway.

i've been making ratatouille all afternoon in the slow cooker. Instead of 1/2 a pint of stock, as the recipe suggested, i erm...added 1/2 a pint of red wine. Just had a taste - it's AMAZING :cool:.
Only problem now is, I was meant to be cooking cod and new potatoes with it. Will cod go with red wine ratatouille?! :hmm:

I opened the joint of ham. Tonight ham and roasted mushroom risotto with roast garlic, sage from the garden, topped with parmesan and strong cheddar.

Beef casserole with mash. This recipe only with loads more veg/stock and a full kilo of steak. Mashed spuds with it. Bloody lovely. :) Spent most of the afternoon bubbling away - leaving it to cook for 2 1/2 hrs really did the trick. Enough there to see me right through the New Year I reckon.
And again. :) Really nice. :)

Cheese, stollen and wine.

I bought a live local méthode Camembertoise last Saturday and I've been keeping it in my PC drivebay.
The PC has been on all week ...
It's turned out a bit more like Epoisses, plus a touch of silage and that sweet roundness of Camembert..

I only had a little bit and I'll leave it another 24 hours before having any more.
I may end up cooking it ...

:hmm:

Hairy Bikers' Sausage Casserole for one (with many more portions for the next few days) followed by my favourite cheese and nibbles with some red wine and pink fizz for later.

This casserole is one of those dishes (actually the only dish) that makes me shout out "oh yeah baby" at the saucepan every time I taste a spoonful :D
Thanks NVP (iirc) for getting me onto this. :cool:

Also just had a slice of 'gardeners birthday cake' from Tesco (got it marked down to a quid from £9) with some cream. Its a yellow iced sponge cake with a wheelbarrow and a shed on the front. I don't think they're selling very well. Taste nice, but who wants a wheelbarrow on their cake?

i've been making ratatouille all afternoon in the slow cooker. Instead of 1/2 a pint of stock, as the recipe suggested, i erm...added 1/2 a pint of red wine. Just had a taste - it's AMAZING :cool:.
Only problem now is, I was meant to be cooking cod and new potatoes with it. Will cod go with red wine ratatouille?! :hmm:

Everything goes with ratatouille.

Hairy Bikers' Sausage Casserole for one (with many more portions for the next few days) followed by my favourite cheese and nibbles with some red wine and pink fizz for later.

This casserole is one of those dishes (actually the only dish) that makes me shout out "oh yeah baby" at the saucepan every time I taste a spoonful :D
Thanks NVP (iirc) for getting me onto this. :cool:
You're welcome. It really is totally perfect for this time of year.

tonight will be pork, slow cooked shoulder (9 hours in my new slow cooker), served pulled with BBQ sauce (will be home made if I ever get off this sofa), and savoy cabbage. Possibly some potatoes of some kind too but less fussed about those for tonight, tonight's tea is ALL about the pork :cool:

Back
Top Bottom