Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I cooked brown lentils with curry leaves and bay leaves. Then did loads of garlic, ginger and chilis together with onions and mushroms, sauteed all of that for a good while, and finally mixed it in with the lentils. Spices used were fenugreek seeds, star aniseed, cumin seeds, turmeric, black mustard seeds and some Sri Lanka curry powder that we got a while back. Splashes of vinegar as well, salt.
I would have added a ladle of curry base and reduced and then added a chefs spoon of bunjara (onion paste)
Omit the vinegar, star anise and used fenugreek leaves rather than seeds and matbe a tsp of garam masala.

I use it mainly in Balti dishes to add another layer of flavour, mostly a sweet onion/ginger flavour depending on how you prepare your bunjara.

Sign up over at www.cr0.co.uk and read their forum recipes.... they are most excellent in replicating a take away taste.

Bunjarra
Ingredients:

- Spanish Onions (very large onions or 4 medium red onions) 2 finely Chopped
- Oil 1 cup
- Cinnamon Stick 4 inch piece
- Bay Leaves 4
- Cumin Seeds 1tbs
- Garlic/Ginger Paste 1 chefs spoon (http://cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Turmeric 1tbs
- Salt 1/2tbs
- Garam Masala 1/2tbs
- Red Chili Powder 1tbs
- Tomato Paste 1tbs
- Blended tin of Plum Tomatoes 2chefs spoonfulls

Method:

- Heat the oil
- Add cinnamon stick and bay leaves and stir until flavour is released
- Add cCumin seeds and, once crackling, immediately add the onion
- Continue to stir, scraping from the sides of the pan (this will ensure that the onion cooks evenly until dark and caramelised but are never burned)
- Add the garlic/ginger paste and stir
- Add the spices, salt and tomato paste
- Continue to stir
- Add the tomato pulp
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, adding more oil to cover it.

The paste will keep for 15 days under oil or can be frozen. Excess oil can be used for cooking dishes.

Sausages - pork & apple for me, Linda's for the littlun + bubble & squeak & peas.

The littlun reckons that bubble is "that disgusting blob of green sick". I'm hoping to convert her :)

I use it mainly in Balti dishes to add another layer of flavour, mostly a sweet onion/ginger flavour depending on how you prepare your bunjara.

Sign up over at www.cr0.co.uk and read their forum recipes.... they are most excellent in replicating a take away taste.

Bunjarra
Ingredients:

- Spanish Onions (very large onions or 4 medium red onions) 2 finely Chopped
- Oil 1 cup
- Cinnamon Stick 4 inch piece
- Bay Leaves 4
- Cumin Seeds 1tbs
- Garlic/Ginger Paste 1 chefs spoon (http://cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Turmeric 1tbs
- Salt 1/2tbs
- Garam Masala 1/2tbs
- Red Chili Powder 1tbs
- Tomato Paste 1tbs
- Blended tin of Plum Tomatoes 2chefs spoonfulls

Method:

- Heat the oil
- Add cinnamon stick and bay leaves and stir until flavour is released
- Add cCumin seeds and, once crackling, immediately add the onion
- Continue to stir, scraping from the sides of the pan (this will ensure that the onion cooks evenly until dark and caramelised but are never burned)
- Add the garlic/ginger paste and stir
- Add the spices, salt and tomato paste
- Continue to stir
- Add the tomato pulp
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, adding more oil to cover it.

The paste will keep for 15 days under oil or can be frozen. Excess oil can be used for cooking dishes.
Cheers Addy. Do you blend it or just leave it as is? I've seen recipes that call for blending the onions prior to cooking, and some where they do it at the end.

I've had a pretty shitty food week this week. Mainly because of long hours at work + to the hospital after then home, I just cannot be bothered. Cooked a steak on Tuesday and had it with just some rocket. Hopefully tonight will be different. I want to do salmon with a garlic and ginger glaze :)

last night we made Monday's super chilli into a spicy shepherds pie. Tonight I'm out for dinner with the lovely @wrysmile. We are having burgers :)

Cheers Addy. Do you blend it or just leave it as is? I've seen recipes that call for blending the onions prior to cooking, and some where they do it at the end.

I blend mine after cooking as sometimes I want to retain some of the texture to thicken up the sauce, but it all depends on the dish your making. For a dahl I would blend them to a smooth paste at the lentils will already make the dish very thick.

I forgot to say in the recipe, make sure your using Indian bay leaves (3 veins running the length of the bay leaf), and remove the bay leaves and cinamon stick before blending ;)

I've been eating terribly recently. Something about the winter means I stop wanting to make any effort cooking or eating veggies. I just want STODGE CHEESE CARBS ON BREAD. Bread and cheese and meat in a soup would be perfect.

I did pick up a giant shin of beef yesterday (for THREE WHOLE POUNDS) and I'm cooking it slowly with onions, potatoes, carrots and stock.

I'm not sure. I have a shitload of diced beef from the tramp's and kilos of red onions and normal onions, but won't get a chance to cook til after 9, so a stew or casserole might take too long. Mebbe a sort of chili stirfy thingy. Ooh wait, I forgot I had some red curry paste - that goes well with beef doesn't it?

Spaghetti with tomato and olive sauce and garlic bread. Tiny portion for me cos I'm a bit peaky, whopping portion for him :D

My dad just dropped a big rabbit stew off, dumbling, tatties, turnip, carrots, barley, and loads of thick gravy. Proper winter warmer. :cool:

Have to watch out for shot!

Uni canteen tea. :oops: We took our own brown rice. :oops::oops::oops: I had green peppers with scrambled egg, green beans with thin bits of beef and the brilliant aubergines in delicious sauce. And some sweet and sour pork.

Just made about a weeks worth of spicy hot Thai curry, nom nom nom. Just on the verge of being to hot but not quite.

Last night's rabbit with rabbit ears

HhONU.jpg

Tonight will be grilled chicken in nandos sauce and stuffed in a pita bread with a bit salad and shit.

Greek lamb bake topped with macaroni cheese. I've been looking forward to it all week and it smells so good, I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom