Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Made fish pie tonight, seeing as I found a fish mix was on reduced today at Tesco. Very nice it was too. :)

What did you put in it?
I cooked brown lentils with curry leaves and bay leaves. Then did loads of garlic, ginger and chilis together with onions and mushroms, sauteed all of that for a good while, and finally mixed it in with the lentils. Spices used were fenugreek seeds, star aniseed, cumin seeds, turmeric, black mustard seeds and some Sri Lanka curry powder that we got a while back. Splashes of vinegar as well, salt.

I ate really badly yesterday, nothing but a Danish pastry and picking on at stuff here and there so... big fresh bread bun stuffed with ham, peas pudding and english mustard for dinner shortly.

For tea: T-bone steak (fillet wasn't brown enough for my liking) with chips done in beef dripping, mushrooms with bacon lardons and garlic fried in butter, and something equally as fattening for pudding.

Snacks will consist of cheese, cheese and cheese, with a few chocolate and chilli olives 8)

I cooked brown lentils with curry leaves and bay leaves. Then did loads of garlic, ginger and chilis together with onions and mushroms, sauteed all of that for a good while, and finally mixed it in with the lentils. Spices used were fenugreek seeds, star aniseed, cumin seeds, turmeric, black mustard seeds and some Sri Lanka curry powder that we got a while back. Splashes of vinegar as well, salt.

Sounds pretty good, although I'd have left out the mushrooms, quite a lot of ingredients there. A tomato adds something, you could try that.

Sounds pretty good, although I'd have left out the mushrooms, quite a lot of ingredients there. A tomato adds something, you could try that.
The mushrooms were there to bulk it out a bit. I forgot to say I chucked in some steamed broc and peppers at the end too, just to bulk it out a bit. I've done it with a tomato curry sauce before, which is nice. Still not quite there yet tho. Ah well.

:cool:

I dunno if I've ever made a dahl without tomato tbh. :oops: Mine is just ginger/garlic/chilli/onion/turmeric plus a tin of tomatos and then lentils. Fresh coriander at the end. TruXta, yours sounds far more involved. :cool:

Can someone recommend something I can make tonight? I have an ill boyfriend who likes spicy food - I only have one small saucepan and one small frying pan so it would be better if it's something I can make in the oven. Going to pop to the supermarket soon to get supplies.

Having mrsfrans puy lentil lasagne with salad and the leftover new potaoes from last night. I will toss the potatoes in chopped garlic and olive oil and roast them.

Venison casserole with sweet potato mash
+ a pudding yet to be bought - I am hoping he comes back with chocolate muffins and chocolate custard :oops:

Back
Top Bottom