Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Fish fingers, the last of the oven chips, mustard & honey sauce.

Why? Because it's the usual Friday free for all and I'm trying to make a bit of freezer space.

I bought a whole tray of mushrooms yesterday, so it was fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, hint of garlic, with three partly-fried free range eggs chucked on top to finish cooking.
It was a bit lacking .. perhaps it needed a hint of star anise or something - perhaps even sugar...
I feel the need for cheese.
I have Camembert and Port Salut.

Wine is the very drinkable Cotes Catalanes.
I might have to try something from the other side of the Spanish border ...

I bought a whole tray of mushrooms yesterday, so it was fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, hint of garlic, with three partly-fried free range eggs chucked on top to finish cooking.
It was a bit lacking .. perhaps it needed a hint of star anise or something - perhaps even sugar...<snip>
A tiny bit of root ginger (relatively mild heat and sweetness), pulp or finely chopped?

i have decided to make chilli con carne instead as the beef isn't quite good enough for burgers. i have some 85% chocolate which i might put in, with some habaneros and chipotle. :cool:

Mince with loads of veg in it (what they used to call Savoury Mince in school kitchens in the 1960s) with crusty bread. Me and my best beloved love it but the kids have always been a bit sneery about it.

Mince with loads of veg in it (what they used to call Savoury Mince in school kitchens in the 1960s) with crusty bread. Me and my best beloved love it but the kids have always been a bit sneery about it.

Bit of a dogs dinner with everything mushed in but I love scooping it up with a yorkshire pud and a bit of mint jelly :D

Last night I cooked some smoked boiling bacon in ginger beer. I will use it to make something lovely involving a Savoy cabbage. No idea what to do for the carb bit of the meal though. I've run out of spuds, the obvious choice, but have rice or pasta. Maybe something lentilly?

Last night I cooked some smoked boiling bacon in ginger beer. I will use it to make something lovely involving a Savoy cabbage. No idea what to do for the carb bit of the meal though. I've run out of spuds, the obvious choice, but have rice or pasta. Maybe something lentilly?
Lentils would be just the ticket.

Actually that would be nice...I've got loads of bacony gingery stock. I also have green or red lentils...I know lentils are pretty proteiny rather than carby but they could provide a sort of pease-puddingy stodge.

Sausage casserole - with some award winning sausages from Wells market - first sausages I've cooked that don't have loads of water or fat coming out of them - these truly are wonderous sausages - and a LAYER of dumplings on the top - and some Pearl Barley and kidney beans and 2 types of onion, and a leek and a carrot

To my shame, I'm using a casserole packet mix - but it does smell quite nice (Colemans(?))

Last night I cooked some smoked boiling bacon in ginger beer. . . .

:eek: WHAT!! - were you drunk??? have you had some kind of <horrible medical thingy that makes you do mental things>

You'll tell us next that you cooked chicken in Coca Cola (or whatever it is 'Merkins do with Coca Cola)

Really??

I note that there is no comment on what this actually tasted like - please enlighten us - would you make it again?

:eek: WHAT!! - were you drunk??? have you had some kind of <horrible medical thingy that makes you do mental things>

You'll tell us next that you cooked chicken in Coca Cola (or whatever it is 'Merkins do with Coca Cola)

Really??

I note that there is no comment on what this actually tasted like - please enlighten us - would you make it again?

Yes really
I've done ham cooked in both ginger ale and cola, both are lush.

In fact, I'm making pulled pork tomorrow and I've gone for ginger ale as the liquid.
And this morning I asked the boy and the bloke what I should cook the Christmas ham in and they both said 'coke'

So :hmm: "pulled pork"????

This sounds absolutely disgusting delicious - I'm guessing slow cooked pork and . . . . . .

Explain to me please (CBATGoogle)

Slow cooked pork . . . .

11 fucking hours!1!!11!!!!11 - bloody hell!!! - GLACIERS have formed in less time

Hope you started cooking the pork about AUGUST then

CanBAT Google - and won't the ginger ale be flat by then??? <genuine question> ;)

11 fucking hours!1!!11!!!!11 - bloody hell!!! - GLACIERS have formed in less time

Hope you started cooking the pork about AUGUST then

CanBAT Google - and won't the ginger ale be flat by then??? <genuine question> ;)

I don't know if I'll do the full 11 hours, but I'll put it on when I get up tomorrow morning - usually around 7am and we'll eat it when we're hungry.
Yes, of course it will be flat, but the the ginger flavour will still be there.

When I did the ham in ginger a couple of years ago Fentimans ginger beer was on special offer so I used that.

Back
Top Bottom