Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Freezer-foraged bean chilli for me, with brown rice, Skyr and a shit ton of extra mature cheddar over the top, Tuscan bean and tomato soup for him with a hunk of homebaked wholemeal.

Decaff coffee and possibly (definitely) an entire pack of dark choc digestives between us.

I started cooking a fish goulash for N but then he was offered an earlier shift before it was done. It's well worth it for him to go in early because 2 hours extra pay with no extra travel costs.
I was going to have something that would use up the other half of a tin of tomatoes and also involve rice that I could cook at the same time as his (eg. Chicken Cacciatore), but it makes more sense now to do all of that tomorrow.

So I think I am going to have a massive (which for me means 3 slices of bread, so 1.5 rounds) sausage and onion sarnie in a bit. Might put some bacon in it too.
White bread with butter, ketchup, and a bit of Colman's.

IMG_5259.jpegAllotment suddenly bursting so it’s tomato everything at the moment. Already had a couple of days of tomato pasta. Tonight had a bit of time so making involitini (sp?). Basically thin strips of courgette round a filling of whizzed up cashews, herbs etc. In a tomato sauce. Practising for a ‘come dine with me’night we’re doing with friends in a month. May not be pretty enough 🤪. Having with pesto and chips. Both also allotment bounty.

Well my involitini were nice enough but not 'come dine with me' party good enough. Individual parts (filling, sauce) were lovely but the overall experience was a bit bland (in texture and taste). so back to the drawing board for that!
Tea today is mushroom strogonoff (made with coconut milk) with tagliatele...

Well my involitini were nice enough but not 'come dine with me' party good enough. Individual parts (filling, sauce) were lovely but the overall experience was a bit bland (in texture and taste). so back to the drawing board for that!
That's a shame. I got quite excited by the idea. I just need to persuade my one surviving courgette plant to produce something...

I had samosa chaat, and gulab jamun for pudding (went to Tooting).

That's a shame. I got quite excited by the idea. I just need to persuade my one surviving courgette plant to produce something...

I had samosa chaat, and gulab jamun for pudding (went to Tooting).
Yeah I feel it could be better with some changes? Would probs suit a more tangy filling/spicy sauce and deffo not the breadcrumb topping. (I did lazy cat kitchen recipe). But would still just be pretty good not outstanding.
Used to love gulab jamen, haven’t found a vegan version near me yet (have seen recipes but they’re quite involved, and I’m not great at puddings as it is!)

It looks like a relatively complex dish with several elements, it would be surprising if it came out right first time.
It's not something I've ever attempted to cook and not something that would particularly excite me (I am so-so about certain veg tbh!) so can't give any advice, but it sounds like you have a good idea of how to improve it if you wanted to give it another go at some point.

Back
Top Bottom