Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I am making tuna dauphinoise, which is from a recipe I got off the side of a tin of tuna years ago, seriously delicious.

Will have with some salad on the side with a mustard dressing, mustard works really well with the potatoes and tuna as well as the salad.

This recipe but I omit the bacon cos N is pescetarian.

Yesterday I pimped a frozen pizza with pickled beetroot and pecorino and ate half of it. Tonight was going to be the other half. But a friend invited me out and I ended up having banana pancakes with caramel sauce. I feel naughty having a dessert for my main meal today. Living the dream!
I dare you to go on the pizza thread and mention having pickled beetroot on it.
It could go either way, I reckon you'll make some firm friends and some bitter (vinegary, even) enemies :D

We had wraps and chips. Fishfingers and salad for me and the girl, chicken strips and salad for Mr K and the boy. Broccoli and mange tout on the side.

Dessert will be ready shortly: shop bought blackberry and apple pie with creme fraiche.

I am making tuna dauphinoise, which is from a recipe I got off the side of a tin of tuna years ago, seriously delicious.

Will have with some salad on the side with a mustard dressing, mustard works really well with the potatoes and tuna as well as the salad.

This was delicious, (I made it with oat milk which I've not used in this recipe before, it isn't really thick enough in comparison to cream but it worked OK regardless, in future I might make the "milk" part into a roux based sauce beforehand so it's a bit thicker - either way, it was still a good meal).

And we had some Swedish Glace soy "ice cream" for afters, that stuff is fucking moreish and I'm glad we discovered it.

(We're not vegan but N is lactose intolerant)

That’s pretty close to the traditional Swedish Christmas dish of Janssons Temptation, which is a potato gratin with anchovies, so I believe you when you say it’s delicious. Janssons is glorious!

Sadly I can’t try it as my wife detests tuna and won’t tolerate the smell, so sticking some in the oven would be pushing my luck way too far 😝

Fella's made a tom and basil sauce, which we'll toss with wholewheat penne, top with mozzarella and stick under the grill til it's a-bubblin'. Just got a spinach/watercress/rocket bag of salad for 35p so that too with EVOO/balsamic dressing.

Brownie with the last of the bilberries. And then probably half a melon each, as it was in the Lidl veg box and needs eating.

I made enough of the tuna dauph for 2 nights worth of food.
N had to go into work early though for some sort of icing exam :rolleyes: so he's taken his to nuke in the work microwave on his break.
I have a portion too which I'll reheat when I get peckish later, and will probably have it with either some salad or a corned beef and salad sarnie as I have corned beef and bread that need to be used.

Asda healthy jerk chicken, rice and veg bowl. Was quite nice but was described as 'fiery' which was complete bollocks.

Trying to shift weight before next months marathon.
Aye, supermarkets don't really do spicy with their ready meals/lunch stuff do they? Or they'd probably get "too spicy" complaints.

I'm only able to do sort of moderate level of chilli type heat myself, and never found a supermarket option that reached even that :D

On the other hand, N made a scotch bonnet hot sauce at the weekend where just the fumes from making it caused us both to start coughing, I'm not going near that particular one :D

Aye, supermarkets don't really do spicy with their ready meals/lunch stuff do they? Or they'd probably get "too spicy" complaints.

I'm only able to do sort of moderate level of chilli type heat myself, and never found a supermarket option that reached even that :D

On the other hand, N made a scotch bonnet hot sauce at the weekend where just the fumes from making it caused us both to start coughing, I'm not going near that particular one :D
Had a lamb karahi from Asda the other day (under a new Bom Bahia brandig) and that was really good. Decent amount of spice and heat. More like the soort of thing I cook at home than the 'restaurant style' they are marketing it as but not half bad. I like a decent amount of heat but not anything silly like a phal. I buy mexican chilli powders online and the variety pack I get comes with a bag of habanero powder which only ever gets used very sparsely and very rarely. I picked up some Sardinian peperoncino flakes when I was in Rome last year and they are amazing. Really good flavour in them and only need a pinch in something like an arrabiata.

I made enough of the tuna dauph for 2 nights worth of food.
N had to go into work early though for some sort of icing exam :rolleyes: so he's taken his to nuke in the work microwave on his break.
I have a portion too which I'll reheat when I get peckish later, and will probably have it with either some salad or a corned beef and salad sarnie as I have corned beef and bread that need to be used.

Can confirm, is a good meal for reheating.
I probably wouldn't freeze it as I reckon the potatoes would disintegrate on reheating (not necessarily an issue, but the dish may lose some textural interest and structural integrity!), but overnight in the fridge makes round 2 even more lush than round 1 :D

Back
Top Bottom