Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Quick early tea for us - spaghetti with cream cheese and sundried tomato pesto out of a jar.
Not particularly exciting, but tasty enough and very quick to make.
I used to do this fairly regularly and am quite a big fan, especially with some veg in, eg butternut squash or courgettes.

I used to do this fairly regularly and am quite a big fan, especially with some veg in, eg butternut squash or courgettes.
It's just such a quick and easy thing to do if you are tired or have limited time to make a meal - I must try to roast some veg and freeze, because it would add something to such meals to have some roasted courgette and peppers ready to throw in there.

I've got loads of roast chicken leftover from yesterday so I'm going to use it in a couscous salad.
It's the giant type of couscous, which I'm trying again, even though it wasn't a great success last time :hmm:
Any tips? Does toasting/frying it before adding the stock make a lot of difference?

I've got loads of roast chicken leftover from yesterday so I'm going to use it in a couscous salad.
It's the giant type of couscous, which I'm trying again, even though it wasn't a great success last time :hmm:
Any tips? Does toasting/frying it before adding the stock make a lot of difference?

I softened some onion and garlic and then added the giant couscous and fried it for 5 minutes or so before adding stock & harissa paste.
It was slightly better this way and dinner was nice enough, but the couscous still had a slightly slimy texture :(
Don't think I'll bother again.

I softened some onion and garlic and then added the giant couscous and fried it for 5 minutes or so before adding stock & harissa paste.
It was slightly better this way and dinner was nice enough, but the couscous still had a slightly slimy texture :(
Don't think I'll bother again.
They've no right calling it 'giant couscous', which strongly suggests it's just like normal couscous but bigger. It's not though is it? It's like giant jellyballs. Retching just thinking about it.

We've been having good luck with olio lately, including about 30 peppers so dinner is (the same as yesterday) Pasta with tomato sauce and roast (pepper heavy) veg.
Tomorrow will be a good one - spring potato stew with potatoes, broad beans and asparagus from the allotment and leeks and salad off of olio.

We've got a bit of leftover lentil cottage pie, only a small portion each though.
Might have to have some afters! I have some plums which I could stew, a salted caramel pudding in the cupboard, and a massive apple strudel in the freezer, also tins of custard to go with.

Back
Top Bottom