Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I'm making turkish style adana kebabs. I recently got a very cheap kebab press from AliExpress, but the flat skewers never arrived. I was in Asda this afternoon and they had some in stock in the seasonal isle.

I've mixed my minced lamb with pepper, corriander, cumin, chilli and za'taar and will press them tonight. I know the za'taar isn't authentic, but I didn't have sumac and should still taste good.

Dominos pizza, we’re lucky cos our local one is about 1 minute on a bike so they always come piping hot.

I usually just have a standard Hawaiian but am going to push the boat out and add a few extra toppings.

Wedges/chicken on the side.

I'm making turkish style adana kebabs. I recently got a very cheap kebab press from AliExpress, but the flat skewers never arrived. I was in Asda this afternoon and they had some in stock in the seasonal isle.

I've mixed my minced lamb with pepper, corriander, cumin, chilli and za'taar and will press them tonight. I know the za'taar isn't authentic, but I didn't have sumac and should still taste good.

I hope there will be photos and a report on the kebab thread!

My mum swears it’s an old family recipe from some old grandma she met up in the hills, but I just looked up fasolsda and it’s exactly that.

She probably did get it from that source, there are probably as many family recipes for it as there are old Greek/Cretan grandparents - absolutely lush and a fine thing to have for tea :)

Large chicken Kyivs with triple cooked chips, rocket and coleslaw 😎
I do love a chicken Kyiv - do you make your own (seems like a lot of faff!), or do you have a chiller/freezer cabinet favourite?
The Morrisons chilled ones can be quite nice but I only get them if I see them on special/yellow sticker.

I do love a chicken Kyiv - do you make your own (seems like a lot of faff!), or do you have a freezer cabinet favourite?
The Morrisons ones can be quite nice but I only get them if I see them on special/yellow sticker.
This was an M&S meal deal at Ocado. This was a fancy option which are larger than the usual. I haven't made chicken Kyiv for years, as you say, too much faff. They are the sort of thing you make once to satisfy your curiosity and then buy ready made afterwards.

I made apple strudel once on the same basis. Can I do it? Yes. Is it worth it? Nooooooooo 😂

This was an M&S meal deal at Ocado. This was a fancy option which are larger than the usual. I haven't made chicken Kyiv for years, as you say, too much faff. They are the sort of thing you make once to satisfy your curiosity and then buy ready made afterwards.

I made apple strudel once on the same basis. Can I do it? Yes. Is it worth it? Nooooooooo 😂
I feel very much the same about puff pastry - yes I have made it just to prove I could, but life's too short - I just wish there were more options for non-vegan puff pastry rolls for purchase - it would be good if it were easier to find ones made with actual butter, or at least if it is non-dairy, then without relying on palm fats.

That pub meal was wayy better than we expected. Fancy portions, like, artfully placed on the plate, but gorgeous! I had mutton with hasselback potato (just the one,mind),tiny carrots, squiggles of parsnip puree and lovage puree, pea sprouts and a smear of gravy. Dark choc and hazelnut delice with sea salt and caramel latte.

That pub meal was wayy better than we expected. Fancy portions, like, artfully placed on the plate, but gorgeous! I had mutton with hasselback potato (just the one,mind),tiny carrots, squiggles of parsnip puree and lovage puree, pea sprouts and a smear of gravy. Dark choc and hazelnut delice with sea salt and caramel latte.

Oooh, you don't often see lovage on a menu! It's usually substituted with celery leaf in modern recreations of dishes from previous eras where it was a more commonly used ingredient.
I think that's partly because the plant grows fucking massive, it's not something you can do on a windowsill or in a small urban garden.

Back
Top Bottom