Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Smoked haddock pilaf rice.

Smoked haddock really does pair excellently with rice, a long time ago I did a smoked haddock and cavolo nero risotto with chilli flakes in and I enjoyed it even though I'm not normally a fan of smoked fish (got some on substitution in a supermarket delivery and although I gave it back to the driver he said to keep it for free cos it couldn't go back on the shelf as a fresh chilled item), N who is a smoked fish fan absolutely loved it.

Smoked haddock really does pair excellently with rice, a long time ago I did a smoked haddock and cavolo nero risotto with chilli flakes in and I enjoyed it even though I'm not normally a fan of smoked fish (got some on substitution in a supermarket delivery and although I gave it back to the driver he said to keep it for free cos it couldn't go back on the shelf as a fresh chilled item), N who is a smoked fish fan absolutely loved it.
Ooh that does sound nice.

I was supposed to use basmati rice but I’ve used brown basmati rice and now it hasn’t cooked at all I suppose because brown basmati rice takes a bit longer? I’ve just whacked it back in the oven for a while.

Some very average Lidl stuffed pasta, with mascarpone and parmesan. Cooked a whole head of broccoli with it so that I'd put half of it in the fridge for tomorrow rather than eating it all. Ate it all anyway 🥦

Was supposed to be Chinese fakeaway tonight but we've only just got back from going over to Beckton to (finally!) pick up our cat food order, while there we embarked on side quests to go to B&M for pillowcases/a new bowl for Jakey (I dropped his a couple of weeks back and broke a bit off the edge) and Lidl for a few food bits & pieces, I hadn't cooked rice for the mandatory egg fried rice before we left and it's pushing it a bit to do it now plus all the chopping prep (despite N working nights and it being his night off tonight, he has a medical appointment in the morning so eating at 2am which would normally be acceptable on a night off is out of the question tonight as he needs to be back in bed early!), so I'll do that another day.

So instead we're having tray bakes which is significantly less prep time - Halloumi and courgette for him, pigs in blankets for me, with potato, red onion, yellow pepper, bit of garlic and some chilli flakes.

Oh and gin martinis with olives now for starters, because why fucking not? :D

So instead we're having tray bakes which is significantly less prep time - Halloumi and courgette for him, pigs in blankets for me, with potato, red onion, yellow pepper, bit of garlic and some chilli flakes.

Oh and gin martinis with olives now for starters, because why fucking not? :D

You always seem to be having something that sounds like its off a restaurant menu lol. Well maybe not the pigs and blankets but how about
"A Duo of Pork, nestled in a Cocoon of Roasted Potato, Red Onions and Golden Peppers, Elevated with Fragrant Garlic and a Hint of Chilli Flakes"
to throw some things at chatgpt and change a few words.

I shall be fridge raiding, assuming anything is left, failing that freezer raiding. Leaving this open to edit when I had a smoke and went to cook stuff :D

Tonight we’ve got shepherds pie (lentil, soya and mushroom filling) with garlicky green beans and kale.
I made an excellent Dahl yesterday (had some for work dinner, saving rest for Friday when we’ve got friends over, will add another curry and rice, maybe the baked onion bhajiis I saw upthread!). The Dahl has roasted squash and spinach in it. I wasn’t sure about adding the squash but it needed using and it works really well. So that’s a good use for the other 7 or 8 boxes of roast squash I have in the freezer!

Pork Knuckle and Gammon, loads of roast potatoes, carrot and swede mash, stuffing, onion gravy and yorkshire puddings.
Stuffed myself silly, also didn't have to make it and I am not on dishes today either!

It is just about equalling out the continual noise of power washing from next door, yesterday apparently was not enough and its been going again since 9am. The entire garden is maybe 4x10m and the majority is grass. Seems they have used maybe an hour per square metre so far and still don't look like stopping.

Scored a veg box from Lidl, so it's roasted peppers stuffed with Greek salad cheese (half the sat fat of feta), pesto wholewheat fusilli, and little gem leaves dressed with EVOO/red wine vinegar.

Hazelnut dark choccy for afters.

I really need to haul myself out of bed one morning to get to Lidl at sparrows fart, I had a veg box once and it was superb.

This afternoon I'm doing the Chinese fakeaway I had planned for the other night for both of us before N goes to work.
I cooked some rice yesterday and chilled it so it's ready to go for egg fried rice.
I have some chicken thighs that need to be used, so I'll be having chicken, cashew, peppers, mushrooms, spring onions stir fry with it.
N wants spicy squid, prawn, peppers, spring onions and courgette.

Back
Top Bottom