Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I think I might do a penne all'amatriciana - favourite quick comfort meal.
Inspiration is currently lacking - we've got a lot in the freezer (mostly seafood, pork and vegan sausages, veggie burgers, and onion rings) by the look of it!) but are lacking things like fresh veg (including onions, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms etc.) so anything more complex isn't going to happen tonight because I've already been out earlier and am not going shopping now.
I do have 4 rashers of streaky that need using, tinned tomatoes, a glug of white wine, parmesan, and pasta so that suits.
Oh and I've got some part baked baguettes so I can do some garlic bread to go with if I fancy it.

Quick question... help!

So I have some ready made puff pastry that I need to roll out. I want to bake it in the oven.on its own and cut it into squares afterwards

Can I do this?
Willl it puff up evenly?

Or should I cut it up and then cook it?

The squares will sit on top of portions of beef casserole. I did not want to make a pie.

Quick question... help!

So I have some ready made puff pastry that I need to roll out. I want to bake it in the oven.on its own and cut it into squares afterwards

Can I do this?
Willl it puff up evenly?

Or should I cut it up and then cook it?

The squares will sit on top of portions of beef casserole. I did not want to make a pie.

My main thought is that it might be difficult to cut due to flaking if you cut it after it's cooked.
I'd be inclined to cut it into portions before putting it in the oven

Beef casserole, cooked twice..
With a puff pastry top, roast poratoes and mashed carrots & parsnips.

20240414_171509.jpg

Pastry was baked seperately.. and so the soggy bottom was evaded...
Actually I did this because I dont like having to clean pie dishes.
Eta. I had started eating it and then remembered to take a photo. It looked really good before I smashed into the puff pastry 😀

Thanks Epona 👍

Beef casserole, cooked twice..
With a puff pastry top, roast poratoes and mashed carrots & parsnips.

View attachment 419941

Pastry was baked seperately.. and so the soggy bottom was evaded...
Actually I did this because I dont like having to clean pie dishes.
Eta. I had started eating it and then remembered to take a photo. It looked really good before I smashed into the puff pastry 😀

Thanks Epona 👍

Dam that looks good

I was in the garden and lost track of time on Saturday, so the lasagne didn't happen and we ended up with an Indian takeaway - house special chicken biriyani with tarka dal for me.
Yesterday was more gardening and takeaway leftovers, but I did manage to drag myself inside long enough to stick the ragu in the slow cooker, so the lasagne will happen tonight.

Paella inspired stuff tonight (ie. I am not claiming that these are in any way authentic) - seafood only one for N with prawns, squid and mussels. Chicken and pancetta with peas one for me, might bung a couple of prawns or some squid in too depending how much of those we have (I think we have a lot of squid in the freezer! We like squid :D )

Back
Top Bottom