Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Fucked if I know, I was encouraged to bung the pork shoulder on earlier on the basis we would then do a joint effort on a massive roast but SO ate some pork and went to sleep. Now I have 8kg of vegetables to prep and no one to help despite that being the plan, me wanting to start earlier and being told leave it later then them taking up all the time watching stuff I was at most mildly interested in. Kinda annoyed. Could have prepped all that and watched whatever instead and now its either on me or its nothing. Plus my laptop is being an arsehole with graphics modes.

Sunday - early tea/late lunch of pub roast (beef, pig in blanket, Yorkshire, carrots, parsnips, red cabbage, kale, potatoes). Late tea when I got in of a corned beef sarnie on white bread with butter and mustard.
Monday - Thai fakaway fare - chicken and cashew for me, prawn and squid for N, with peppers, onions and a sauce involving Thai basil. With fried rice.
Tonight - N back at work so I'm just doing for myself (he had a frozen Lidl pizza before work - spinach, ricotta and mushroom, apparently very nice). I'm defrosting a pork loin steak so I'll be having that with potatoes of some sort, fried mushrooms, peas, and I'll see what else needs using up.

Burgers here.
I had 2 ordinary freezer beef burgers with cheddar melted on top in a bun with fried onions, mushrooms, mayonnaise, ketchup, and yellow mustard. N had Plant Revolution Spicy Beanburgers topped with smoked cheese slices, bun, various condiments.
Both had battered onion rings and skin-on fries from the freezer to go with.
There is now some space in the freezer.

If I'm eating that many kcals I can cope with a quid a packet.
I mean it's not a big win but I got used to checking every penny when benefits needed to cover me, or when it had to cover 2 adults and 3 kids lol. 4x the price was a big deal then and every time I get a new job I restock the family sized version of the "oh shit" cupboard I had at 20 odd. Now it's 10kg rice, 10kg pasta and a shit load of canned veg, frozen stuff, spices and toiletries/cleaning stuff. Then it was 1kg spag/penne and a load of tomatoes/dried beans and then walking a few miles to the supermarket cheapest for onions and dried herbs as needed.
Burgers here.
I had 2 ordinary freezer beef burgers with cheddar melted on top in a bun with fried onions, mushrooms, mayonnaise, ketchup, and yellow mustard. N had Plant Revolution Spicy Beanburgers topped with smoked cheese slices, bun, various condiments.
Both had battered onion rings and skin-on fries from the freezer to go with.
There is now some space in the freezer.
Love getting something basic and elevating it. Those went from cheaper things to something some pub would charge £15 for minimum, probably a lot more in London.

I do a stuffed bread / horrendously bastardised piadina (since its 3 inches thick) stuffed with whatever people fancy. Costs barely anything and tastes amazing done on a big cast iron. Like a triple thick pizza sandwich the same width with ham, cheese, chives etc, or subbing corned beef, whatever is leftover etc. Maybe a fiver tops for 4 big enough to make a hungry teenager not even finish his and I struggled when I was actually at the gym 7 times a week.

Back
Top Bottom