Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Based on this recipe. Vegetarian cottage pie recipe | Good Food Took note of the comments, especially those saying it contains too much thyme.

This was absolutely gorgeous!
I used puy lentils so it was a bit pricey but I reckon a mix of puy for texture and the bigger cheaper green lentils or red lentils or split yellow peas would work well.
Also neither of us are vegetarian (N is pescetarian and I am an omnivore) so I did put a load of Worcestershire sauce in for additional umami, for purely vegetarian then Hendoes or some other tamarind based condiment or mushroom ketchup would work excellently just for a bit of extra umami and tang.
I also did my usual thing of adding some grated courgette into the mashed potatoes (I've been doing it for way too long to stop now, and it is lush, also put a bit of mustard in too).
As a meat eater (and someone who has a quorn intolerance and doesn't like the taste of soya), it's a very worthy contender to a meat one, and I'll be doing that again to cut my meat consumption, very very delicious!

Not for tonight, but a contribution for a family gathering next weekend. Saag Aloo but swapping half the spinach with wild garlic. View attachment 418852
Just to reassure you, that is still a saag aloo - saag means leafy greens and wild garlic counts, as does kale, spring greens etc.
A specifically spinach only version would be palak aloo.
If I recall correctly.
It looks delicious :)

Looks awesome. I used to pick loads at my old house, lots of woodland that wasn't used much and it went on for miles. It's great to use foraged foods like this. :cool:

It was someone on a foraging Facebook group that said they'd made saag aloo with wild garlic instead of spinach, so thought I'd give it a go, though decided to make it half 'n' half since it's for a family occasion. (FYI I omitted using any garlic cloves.) The only thing I'd found previously to use bulk wild garlic in is soup - not keen on it 'raw' in pesto - so this was a good suggestion. Also going to make wild garlic butter for garlic bread at some point.

Fridge searching and turning that into something I think. Probably got mash, sweet potatoes, roast butternut squash all left over to go, maybe do a few sausages, some decent gravy and/or (microwave) poached egg or two maybe even shove some in a wrap to try it out since we have an excess lol. So much to cook tomorrow again but roast pork so doing enough sides and meat for 20 with 4 eating lol. Why not go bonkers, its vegetables and the kids actually eat them if its reheat so wheres the loss

Back
Top Bottom